Rear header mount separation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pauls927

Reaction score
Over the holiday weekend, I decided to finally lubricate the rear shock relay arm bearings. My 2007 has over 41k miles and the arm has never been serviced.

I first removed both mufflers and next removed the 4 center stand bolts. Instead of cutting the front bolts, I simply pried the exhaust pipes down to get enough clearance for the bolts to be removed. These will be reversed for easier removal in the future. After removing the CS, I noticed both rear exhaust mounts appeared to be completely torn at the rubber mounts.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with the mounts being separated like this? They were like this before I pried the exhaust down for clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a new one on me.

Have you examined the rubber where it is 'torn'?

Does it look like it has been like that for some time?

i looked at it, but it is hard to tell how long it has been like that since it does not get cleaned down there. I removed the nuts where it attaches behind the cats to prevent any rattling and don't plan to replace the mounts. I think the muffler mounts should provide enough support to take any stress off the header.

I would check and re-torque all engine mount bolts. See the FSM for correct procedure, and use a quality, calibrated torque wrench.

Leaving the exhaust mount bolts off may not cause any reliability issues, but may result in more or different vibration, and I would replace them if it were on my bike.