Shipping bike from Eastern Canada to LA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ERS

Reaction score
I have to go to Los Angeles around the end of May and was thinking of shipping the bike for the return trip. Any idea of shippers that could transport the FJR from Prince Edward Island, Canada to the city of angels?

An alternative plan would be shipping it from Maine, which would probably be more cost effective but also more complicated logistically.

Returning from LA would a ride up the Pacific coast to Seattle and a visit with my brother then on to Calgary to see more family and returning home through the northern US. A bucket list trip for me if it works out.

Rick

I paid $400 to have my wee strom shipped from Salem, OR to Bermuda Dunes, CA. It was very easy. From Canada to the US might be more difficult and expensive. Check around and get some prices.

I'm thinking it would probably be easier if you got it down into the states then shipped it from there. At one point I was thinking about buying a bike back on the east coast and this company was recommended to me. Hope this helps you: Haulbikes.com

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure if this will happen but it won't hurt to look into it.

Canadian FJR - I live just west of Charlottetown in Hampshire.

If you ship from the US, forward air freight will ship terminal to terminal.. which is probably airport to airport. The issues with it is bike needs to have no gas, battery disconnected, and crated.

If you're able to pull it off, sounds like an awesome adventure. Trip north from Cali to Seattle via PCH would be special indeed.

I've used Motorcycle Shippers domestic US, looks like they can do International as well.

Good luck!

--G

Check with Federal Motorcycle Transport, Div. Allied Van Lines, funtransport.com. I used them several times. I do not know if they operate in Canada. Check it out. They had very competitive rates and the service was very good.

Horseless Carriage out of New Jersey does a GREAT job on bikes. They shipped my FZ1 from my front door to a shipping agent in Florida as I was shipping it off-shore. DIdn't need to crate it, either.

I've also had two very good experiences shipping bikes cross country via Federal Motorcycle Transport, division of Allied Van lines.

Couple tips (shooting from memory, it's been a while):

If you can have the bike shipped from/to business addresses I recall it saved some money. It's not like they need a loading dock or anything. They just don't like sending their big moving van trucks to tight residential addresses for a simple bike pickup IF it can be avoided. I just had the driver meet me in the parking lot of where I worked. About 5 years later I shipped a second bike and the exact same driver showed up. He said I thought this place looked familiar - easy deal, nice people to deal with.

Secondly, may not help our Canadian poster, but I remember getting an additional discount by being an AMA member. Oh, no need to crate the bike. They supply the pallet it gets tied down to then covered with quilted pads. All done right when they meet you to pick it up. I supplied my own soft ties (loops) so had smart anchor points for tie-down straps. Drained gas, left oil in - no problem.

Good luck,

I bought a sport bike out of CO a fe3w years back. I went on uship and was able to get a quote there. It was pretty reasonable and I had no issues. It's like an eBay for shipping stuff, where the shippers bid for your business.

I bought a sport bike out of CO a fe3w years back. I went on uship and was able to get a quote there. It was pretty reasonable and I had no issues. It's like an eBay for shipping stuff, where the shippers bid for your business.
With the CDN $ at .70 US, a "reasonable" price can be MUCH less reasonable up here in Canada!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also had two very good experiences shipping bikes cross country via Federal Motorcycle Transport, division of Allied Van lines.
Couple tips (shooting from memory, it's been a while):

If you can have the bike shipped from/to business addresses I recall it saved some money. It's not like they need a loading dock or anything. They just don't like sending their big moving van trucks to tight residential addresses for a simple bike pickup IF it can be avoided. I just had the driver meet me in the parking lot of where I worked. About 5 years later I shipped a second bike and the exact same driver showed up. He said I thought this place looked familiar - easy deal, nice people to deal with.

Secondly, may not help our Canadian poster, but I remember getting an additional discount by being an AMA member. Oh, no need to crate the bike. They supply the pallet it gets tied down to then covered with quilted pads. All done right when they meet you to pick it up. I supplied my own soft ties (loops) so had smart anchor points for tie-down straps. Drained gas, left oil in - no problem.

Good luck,
FXR is correct. It is cheaper to have the bike shipped from a commercial address and received as well by a business. I had two bikes shipped via Federal both times from a dealership address and consigned to a commercial address. One of the bikes I had them ship it to their terminal here in N. CA and I picked it up there. They supply the pallet which is designed to secure motorcycles.

Fly n buy n sell???

biggrin.png