Fastener failure - a new approach

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, so who here is nerdy enough to watch an 8 minute video about washers?

Guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so who here is nerdy enough to watch an 8 minute video about washers?
Guilty.
Me ....
fool.gif

I don't. I wanted to, but never made it, but can still be consumed by this stuff.

I suppose paying for those washers would be cheaper than having to send someone up to check all those bolts on those turbines. If you could cut the inspection period/duration in half, that'd be a huge savings well worth the cost of the expensive washers.

So...IF Hppants had used one of these washers on his final drive, he wouldn't have had to buy a new one? I can't think of many applications where I'd need that washer, but the ones where it would come in handy usually involve something I don't want to lose.

So...IF Hppants had used one of these washers on his final drive, he wouldn't have had to buy a new one? I can't think of many applications where I'd need that washer, but the ones where it would come in handy usually involve something I don't want to lose.
The washer doesn't claim to be a seal, so I don't think it would work in that application.

The washer doesn't claim to be a seal, so I don't think it would work in that application.
I know they're not a seal. Jesus, I can read. What I'm asking, is would those washes have kept his bolt from backing out in the first place. I'm thinking yes.

I know they're not a seal. Jesus, I can read. What I'm asking, is would those washes have kept his bolt from backing out in the first place. I'm thinking yes.
I think if there's sufficient tension on the thing to compress it, the same amount of tension on just the drain bolt alone would do the trick. The knurling would be ineffective, as it would be resting against the sealing washer, and not on the surface of the final drive, so in this particular application I believe the new washer would be no more effective than simply applying appropriate torque to the OEM assembly.

The bolt has to initially be tightened
wink.png
Once appropriately tight it should stay that way by itself. The washers would help in sort of a belt and suspenders way :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point, even this fancy washer isn't going to keep a bolt from moving if it isn't tightened properly first. :D

The reason I asked that is because I remember Pants saying he didn't tighten it down all the way. Now...I don't remember if that means he tightened it some, but just forgot to go back and finish it, or if that meant he left the bolt hanging by 3 threads.

I forgot there is a crush washer there, and I know they're not magic...I was just thinking they would be helpful in those instances where it's just not quite tight enough.