LED Light bar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR
Reaction score
I'm thinking about mounting an LED light bar accross the front of the FJR, just above the headlights. Looking for a mount similar to the one that the late great John Ryan had on his 2005 FJR. Any good pics or mount suggestions would be appreciated.

20090527_01.jpg

johnryan.jpg

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
However you mount auxiliary lights, you'll want to be careful not to place them too high. In BC, for example, the max distance is 42" from the center of the light to the road surface. I mounted my clearwater lights using the supplied mirror brackets, with the lights on the upper surface, and they are just within the limit.

My_2011_FJR-10.png

This arrangement creates a distinctive 'V' of lights, particularly noticeable with the two lower fork mounted LEDs

Also, there's a limit of two auxiliary lights one may legally mount on the front of a motor vehicle.

The two small lights on the forks are always on when the bike is running, so are considered 'daytime running lights'!

Take a look at the regs for BC. Nova Scotia may have different ones.

In Louisiana, we may only have 4 white lights on the front of the vehicle. How do light bars fit into this, I wonder?

A light bar is one. No Matter how many bulbs in it.

That what you say in court while painting a perplexed look on your innocent face.

That what you say in court while painting a perplexed look on your innocent face.

...or better yet just responsibly use any of the auxiliary lights that aren't approved for road use anyway when nobody is around. 200,000+ miles with various flamethrowers and I've never, ever been hassled by any LEO in the U.S. or Canada....because I don't turn them on where somebody sees them oncoming.

Any good pics or mount suggestions would be appreciated.
Get good at fabricating and/or welding aluminum...or seek a local one out. I think Ryan and various other LD folks go these two routes and most everything like this is going to be custom. And IIRC from Ryan's setup--I think he spanned the two mirror mount locations with a brackets & standoffs welded to a bar.

But those flamethrowers were halogen and no need for something that monstrous today since we have much lighter and smaller options with superior lumen output like these that work fine with basic brackets.

LED light bars are intriguing. From 4" to 50" wide with options of flood, spot or in-between lenses or even combinations of the lens types, single or double row. Mounting one across the front of an FJR would seem to require some creativity for sure. Best bet you would still need to use the mirror mounts to attach to. Either two individual brackets or some sort of spanning bridge depending on how the light bar mounts (though a small LED bar is pretty light and compact and perhaps could be mounted through the plastic with backing plates if you don't mind ugly holes in the fairing).

My most rewarding farkle project was adding 4 Hella projector beam headlight pods as my aux. lights. Since no mounting brackets existed, I had to design and make them from scratch ( 6061 T-6 Alum.) to attach them to the mirror mounting brackets. Used mostly hand tools but did take advantage of a Bridgeport at work to mill a couple features. No welding needed. Probably put about 30 hours into the project but really enjoyed it.

Thanks for the link Ignacio, now you have me thinking ....................
I know, huh?!

I had a set of uber-premium Kristas on my '14 before I wadded it up in August (Bahhhhh!) and only have one left in marginal condition. Since I'll be riding my '05 again...I'm revisiting whether I'll be upgrading some early-generation LEDs to this great value offering via Justin.

I already did buy one pair of the linked lights and they're now doing service on my car that already has not-so-bad stock HID lights and LED fogs.

I'm not saying they're near the same quality as Clearwaters and don't come with all the uber-cool parts the Clearwater kit does including brackets and dimmer, but $300 vs. $900'ish and I KNOW they'll work very well on any FJR if one already has/can procure mirror brackets and a basic relay. They're an excellent value proposition and at 5000 lumen each...serious photon emitters!