Motorbike lift techniques - or how to barely not toss one overboard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
So then, the new lift has spoiled me. As in, need to check tire pressure? Put 'er on the lift! Yes Sir, that's the ticket.

Check - Sat

Check - Add - Sat

Let's get the old gurl down and off the lift.

Hey wait, how come it's so damn hard to rock her off the centerstand? WTFO?

Pfft, more effort, more energy - that will work.

POP!

Off the CS and damn near off to the left of the lift. Stomp the foot down, apply every last bit of energy to keep her from toppling over. Tear a groin. Pop an ankle.

Yes Sir, that's the ticket.

Apparently the front tire was cocked and caught in the front chock. Forcing the issue caused the release of side energy and, well, you know, my very own Red Foreman DUMB ASS moment.

Lesson learned and now shared.

Don't be a DumbAss.

BUT!!! being a dumb ass comes naturally .
rolleyes.gif

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "What Maroon!"

Actually I have suffered virtually the same result on my lift. I use straps on either side of the bike to steady it while on the lift. I released the one on the left. The bike came off the center stand okay, but when I began to back the bike off the lift the still attached right hand strap tilted the bike sharply to its right hand side. I fought to keep it upright for several hours (15 seconds maybe) and was just able to get it upright once I figured out what was going on.

Maroon indeed!

In the words of Bugs Bunny, "What Maroon!"
Actually I have suffered virtually the same result on my lift. I use straps on either side of the bike to steady it while on the lift. I released the one on the left. The bike came off the center stand okay, but when I began to back the bike off the lift the still attached right hand strap tilted the bike sharply to its right hand side. I fought to keep it upright for several hours (15 seconds maybe) and was just able to get it upright once I figured out what was going on.

Maroon indeed!
https://i1278.photobucket.com/albums/y517/Fotoman7/BugsBunnyMaroon_zps5e1d22dd.jpg

Exactly why I don't have a lift!!!

Well, that and the fact I have no place to put one, and no money with which to buy one.....

So almost dropping off the lift..... is that a half-dumbass? What is that, a dumbcheek?

Don, I understand you can make make anything from duct tape. Like a hernia truss. Throw in a tie-wrap or two, and you're good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I won't laugh! I did almost the same thing a couple of years ago! I was trying to raise the bike high enough to remove the centre stand. I made a pipe stand but couldn't ratchet the bike high enough to get it airborne? Ahh Grasshopper, lift bike on table lift, tie off to pipe stand and just lower table stand! Should work eh? Nope, one of the two tie straps slipped while the back tire is in the air and the bike is about 3ft of the ground.... tilting precariously on top of me! I was very lucky a neighbour had come over to watch so was able to help right the situation. Just plain dumb!

So then, the new lift has spoiled me. As in, need to check tire pressure? Put 'er on the lift! Yes Sir, that's the ticket.
Check - Sat

Check - Add - Sat

POP!

Off the CS and damn near off to the left of the lift. Stomp the foot down, apply every last bit of energy to keep her from toppling over. Tear a groin. Pop an ankle.

Apparently the front tire was cocked and caught in the front chock. Forcing the issue caused the release of side energy and, well, you know, my very own Red Foreman DUMB ASS moment.

Don't be a DumbAss.
Bummer dude, butt yer gonna have ta step up yer game to be dumb as me. You see, a few years back when I got my 1st '07, I went ta put the GIVI mounting plate on the back. It was a warm, sunny February day, so I had the bike just outside the garage.

Soon as I took them three bolts out of the rear, a black cloud came, 'n started dumping on my sorry ass. Be'in slightly brighter than a bovine, I decide to roll the bike into the garage ta git out of the rain.

Went ta put the bike on the CS, by way of the rear grab rail, butt since them bolts wuz gone, the thang snapped right off, 'n flew across the garage. Then the bike dun started fall'in over, 'n with wet feet, I slipped 'n lost my footing, then lost the battle w/ gravity. The bike wuz crushing me against a cabinet.

Luckily for me, my wife/sister watched the whole thang, 'n when she quit laughing, she came 'n got the bike off me. (Thanx babe)

Think I tore mah groin too, smooshed my right foot, 'n had ta buy a new grab rail.

Lesson learned; even the simplest little projects can get ugly if'n yer not think'in 'bout what yer do'in!

Well here's my stupid story. Years ago I was working on my new 99 Concours and decided to put it on the lift. While pushing it up on the lift I had not put the side stand up and it did not fold up so it levered the bike off the right side of the lift. I tried to stop it but a Connie isn't light and I wasn't going with it so I let go. The result was a little better than 3k in damage. My intro into expensive Japanese plastic. The insurance covered the damage but they listed it as a collision which I didn't want. The final comment from the lady at State Farm was " Well Mr. Slocomb the damn thing hit the floor didn't it". She won.
rolleyes.gif

Check - Sat

Check - Add - Sat

POP!

Don't be a DumbAss.
Bummer dude, butt yer gonna have ta step up yer game to be dumb as me. You see, a few years back when I got my 1st '07, I went ta put the GIVI mounting plate on the back. It was a warm, sunny February day, so I had the bike just outside the garage.

Soon as I took them three bolts out of the rear, a black cloud came, 'n started dumping on my sorry ass. Be'in slightly brighter than a bovine, I decide to roll the bike into the garage ta git out of the rain.

Went ta put the bike on the CS, by way of the rear grab rail, butt since them bolts wuz gone, the thang snapped right off, 'n flew across the garage. Then the bike dun started fall'in over, 'n with wet feet, I slipped 'n lost my footing, then lost the battle w/ gravity. The bike wuz crushing me against a cabinet.

Luckily for me, my wife/sister watched the whole thang, 'n when she quit laughing, she came 'n got the bike off me. (Thanx babe)

Think I tore mah groin too, smooshed my right foot, 'n had ta buy a new grab rail.

Lesson learned; even the simplest little projects can get ugly if'n yer not think'in 'bout what yer do'in!
Dayum dude...If that wasn't so funny, it would almost be sad. I'm glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like that!

Ever tried to back one out of a wheel chock while it was still in first gear? Asked a young guy who was walking by with his girl friend if he could give me a hand. After a couple of unsuccessful tries with both of us pulling he looked at me and innocently asked "is it out of gear" His girlfriend only giggled a little.

Speaking of that^^, on Sunday, a buddy and I took the dirt bikes out. I loaded my KTM onto my hitch carrier. I have the hitch carrier because it's easier than scaring the shit out of myself trying to ride it up into the bed of the truck, or risk dropping it off a ramp, trying to walk it up solo.

Because I was alone and the carrier ramp is a little steep, I used the bike's motor and feathered the clutch to get it up the ramp while I stood next to it. Perfect! Strapped it down and hauled ass.

We got to our riding area and I unstrapped the front of the bike. I tried to rock it back and it didn't budge. Then I remembered the strap I had at the foot pegs. Dummy! BUT, I got that off and was ready to go. I double checked...no more straps. I tried to rock it back, out of the front wheel space, and nothing. Wouldn't budge. Must need a better grip, so I repositioned myself and tugged again. It was really stuck in there, because it wasn't moving. THEN, and only then, I remembered how I loaded the bike. So I gave the shift lever a small upward pull and put it in neutral. My next pull rolled the bike right off.

I'm afraid, I'm gonna have to start writing stuff down!