FJR Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
From the Owner's Manual

"When the vehicle is traveling up-hill, the actual traveling speed may become lower than the set cruising speed. If this occurs, accelerate to the desired traveling speed using the throttle."

Does this mean the cruise control can't open the throttle as wide as the rider twisting the throttle grip? The throttle valves are electrically controlled so it would seem that the cruise control could get the same throttle control (% open) as available from the throttle grip. Maybe the cruise control has throttle limiters.

Maybe they are assuming the rider would cancel the cruise and downshift to accelerate.

So far I have not experienced any failure to maintain a set speed. Even on fairly steep grades at fairly high altitude mine has been wonderful.

Where did you read this? In the 2014 and 2016 UK Owner's Manuals, it says "When travelling uphill or downhill, the cruise control system may not be able to maintain the set cruising speed". It says nothing about "If this occurs ...".

I don't know how far the cruise control can open the throttle, but if it's struggling to maintain speed uphill, I'd suggest you're in too high a gear. In normal riding I've never had an issue with mine, but I am always in a gear suitable for my speed and any hill.

Overriding the cruise with the throttle is something any cruise control system can tolerate, and something a WHOLE LOT OF LEFT-LANE-DRIVERS should figure out! :)

It doesn't mean that the cruise can't open the throttle as much, but that it won't. Do you really want the automatic system to be able to request 100% throttle, or even 80% or 60%?

Wouldn't it depend on the grade AND which gear you're in? On a steep grade, one would downshift to maintain the powerband, so 5th might not be able to maintain, but 4th or 3rd shouldn't have a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it depend on the grade AND which gear you're in? On a steep grade, one would downshift to maintain the powerband, so 5th might not be able to maintain, but 4th or 3rd shouldn't have a problem.
True, but downshifting will cut off the cruise control as soon as the clutch is pulled won't it?

I have a hard time imagining a situation where I would have the CC engaged and the speed is so low and the grade so steep that the CC could not maintain.

I wish the OP would respond back so we know what his reason is for asking this question.

Yes, it would. Then you re-engage. Much like in a car, using an automatic, it downshifts to optimize power. If, say 5th gear, is struggling to maintain speed because of grade, then a downshift should come natural.

I do agree the OP should elaborate more.

No issues at all, even loaded up and packing double at altitude. As mentioned, the speed varies ever so slightly when picking up climbing hills mountains but no more than expected.

--G

Mine maintains very well too. Even in the steep passes in the Rockies it's always held what I set it on.

I saw that in my book and assumed the cruise control may not apply full throttle, but I've never experienced that.

I wish the OP would respond back so we know what his reason is for asking this question.
Note that the OP has a '04 and a history of using a stick to whack a hornets nest. A number of the OP's posts have led to big kerfuffles.

Note that the OP has a '04 and a history of using a stick to whack a hornets nest. A number of the OP's posts have led to big kerfuffles.
Word!
uhuh.gif

Please answer the question Constant Mesh.
whistling.gif

I have an '04 so I don't have Yamaha cruise.

I was reading this excerpt from the 2016 FJR manual.

"If this occurs, accelerate to the desired traveling speed using the throttle."

This sentence seems a bit odd to me since the throttle and CC are directly controlled by the computer. I couldn't see how the rider could do something with the throttle which the CC couldn't do. It's all software.

I'm assuming the CC is limited on % throttle.

I haven't experienced the Yamaha cruise. Does the throttle grip remain at the closed position when the cruise is in control? When you accelerate using the grip while in cruise does the grip have to turn a bit from its closed position before any acceleration occurs? Or, as soon as you begin to rotate the grip acceleration begins?

Throttle by wire can be anything I guess. It's all up to the software. I haven't experienced it.

pretty typical...lots of Gen I owners here that purely speculate on what or what not Gen II and Gen III machines can do. That is all.
bike.gif

This sentence seems a bit odd to me since the throttle and CC are directly controlled by the computer. I couldn't see how the rider could do something with the throttle which the CC couldn't do. It's all software.

I'm assuming the CC is limited on % throttle.

I haven't experienced the Yamaha cruise. Does the throttle grip remain at the closed position when the cruise is in control? When you accelerate using the grip while in cruise does the grip have to turn a bit from its closed position before any acceleration occurs? Or, as soon as you begin to rotate the grip acceleration begins?

Throttle by wire can be anything I guess. It's all up to the software. I haven't experienced it.
Well, the 2016 has a sixth gear which is geared higher than the fifth gear on previous models. So maybe it may start losing speed on steep uphills in cruise control. ;)

But seriously, as some of us said above, it's never been an issue on my 2013.

Does this mean you're looking at a '16?

Doesn't say that in the 2016 Owner's Manual I downloaded from Yamaha's web sit.

Grip goes loose up to the point where you would accelerate beyond the held speed. You can stop the control by pushing the throttle below the normal "off" position.

Get a test ride if you can.

Doesn't say that in the 2016 Owner's Manual I downloaded from Yamaha's web sit.

I couldn't find the 2016 manual on https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/owners-manuals. I wonder if you folks get the same web sites we do.

Anyway, my 2013 manual says that. I saw it, said "Hmmm...", and haven't thought about it much since. ;)