A fall ride along Lake Superior's North Shore

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiger_993

Reaction score
My family and I take several trips a year up to Lake Superior - the "North Shore" as Minnesotans call it. Most of our family trips are long weekends and occasionally we'll even make a day trip - leaving the house around 6am, driving the 160 miles to Duluth, MN and then spending the day exploring the lakeshore and stopping at the numerous state parks along the way, before turning around and heading back, usually arriving home around 8 or 9pm. Our two young boys love it and we make great memories.

Work and family responsibilities didn't allow me to get away on a fall motorcycle trip in 2014 and I was dead set on not letting that happen again this year. I began tracking the fall color changes in early September and as the fall season progressed I started zeroing in on a narrow window of time where peak color intersects with beautiful weather. By the end of September, I could see that the leaves would be peaking in the northern part of the state in the next few days, so it was time to make my move.

Fall color map from October 5th and 6th:

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-23%20at%203.24.15%20PM_zpssba26bvs.jpg

I have a narrow two-day window available where work and family commitments will permit me to go explore. I check the forecast - looks great - and make a couple minor adjustments to my calendar for the two day period. I'm planning to leave on Sunday, October 4th at the crack of dawn and will be returning home the following night. It's just a quick up and back trip, but one that will allow me to hit most of my favorite photo op locations along the North Shore. Total two day round trip length will be 630 miles from my house to Grand Portage State Park on the U.S. and Canadian border, and then back home.

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-23%20at%205.09.14%20PM_zps6oqxvo3h.jpg

The first order of business is to address my rear tire. I have been hoping to get by on the current tire until spring, but by now I have erased all evidence of the wear bars in the center of the tire and if I return home from the trip with threads showing, my wife will not be happy. So I make plans to have a new PR4 installed by the guys at Empire Cycle in Loretto, MN. I pull the rear wheel off on Friday morning and take it to Empire Cycle at lunch that day. They have the new rubber on and balanced and I'm out the door in under 30 minutes.

FallRideReport-1_zpsxq0wsnoo.jpg

Day 1: Saint Michael, Minnesota to Grand Marais, Minnesota - 268 miles

I plan to leave at first light on Sunday morning so I pack up the bike the night before. The weather at departure time on Sunday a crisp 37 degrees. I take mundane US 169 north to Milaca, MN and then cut northwest over to I-35 near Hinkley where I pick up the slab and take it north to Duluth. Traffic is super light as it typically is on Sunday morning and by 9am, the air temp has already risen to 43 degrees. The skies are blue with white wispy clouds and I can tell it's going to be a beautiful day. My Gerbing heated jacket liner and heated gloves make for comfortable and cozy riding in this weather.

FallRideReport-2_zpsrxdfxtdu.jpg

The 160 mile ride to Duluth goes quickly. Duluth is a significant Great Lakes shipping port and industrial town and is also the gateway to Lake Superior's North Shore. There are some neat sights to see and things to explore around the downtown lake walk and harbor area but I am taking this trip to see the fall color so I'm not stopping in Duluth this time; the north shore and north woods are my destination.

I take Scenic 61 north out of Duluth and am immediately presented with views of blue water to my right. As I ride, I feel so blessed to have the open road in front of me, the wind in my chest, the smells of the lake all around me. The largest fresh water lake in the world is a mere three hours' ride from my house and I savor it's majesty and moods.

Scenic 61 can be bypassed by a divided 4-lane highway that runs parallel to it for 20 miles. The bypass offers no views of anything, really, so I prefer to take the quaint two lane Scenic 61 which provides a near continuous view of the lake. On this day, the northbound lane of Scenic 61 is barricaded off for road work. Fortunately, even though the northbound lane is closed, it is the southbound traffic that has to detour over to the non-scenic bypass. So Scenic 61 is effectively a one-way road, for today at least, as northbound traffic is diverted onto the southbound lane.

FallRideReport-3_zpsw4oqffia.jpg

Continuing up Scenic 61, I pass through Knife River, Minnesota, one of many tiny towns along the shore of Lake Superior.

FallRideReport-4_zpsluddo1bd.jpg

I make a quick gas stop in Two Harbors, MN. It is here that Scenic 61 and the bypass section of MN-61 merge back together, hugging the Lake Superior shoreline continuously for the next 125 miles to the Canadian border. Just north of Two Harbors lies my first stop of the trip: Gooseberry Falls State Park. I grab a parking spot and change into some more comfortable gear for hiking, flower sniffing, and photo taking. One of the most visited state parks in Minnesota, Gooseberry Falls offers very easy hiking, spectacular elevated views of Lake Superior, and a series of fantastic waterfalls along the Gooseberry River.

I take the paved trail from the parking lot, past the visitor's center, and down to the middle falls. I have photographed the middle falls so many times you'd think I'd be tired of it by now, but that is definitely not the case. I survey the scene looking for the right spot to shoot from. The river is flanked with cedar and spruce so fall colors are a bit absent in the immediate area of middle falls, but there are a few yellow aspens at peak color so to I work to incorporate them into the shot. I find a perspective I like, wait a bit for some of the other park visitors to exit my frame and then capture a suitable photo of the middle falls.

FallRideReport-5_zps473lye3f.jpg

Next, I hike down the trail that runs along the Gooseberry river for a short distance and set up for a photo of the lower falls.

FallRideReport-6_zpsf2wjznop.jpg

Many of the state parks in Minnesota owe their existence to the Civilian Conservation Corps that was active in the state in the 1930's and and 40's. Gooseberry has some nice info panels and this statue to commemorate the efforts of some 86,000 CCC workers who worked in Minnesota during this time:

FallRideReport-7_zpspgpshjam.jpg

FallRideReport-8_zpsyenrm4cp.jpg

FallRideReport-10_zpsr4i1s9r3.jpg

The CCC built, among other things, the retaining wall shown below. Originally, the wall's purpose was to support a parking concourse above it for cars to park on. MN-61 runs adjacent to and above the wall so back in the day, cars would pull off the road and park along the concourse. Visitors would then have access to the trails and views of the falls.

FallRideReport-12_zps6akew6yv.jpg

FallRideReport-13_zps353cqsfv.jpg

Today, the concourse is a pedestrian plaza with signs explaining the geology of the area, the engineering effort needed to construct the Gooseberry bridge, and other noteworthy facts about the Lake and CCC workers. MN-61 is still located adjacent to the wall but cars are not able to stop and park any longer. Access to Gooseberry Falls is exclusively via the state park entrance.

FallRideReport-11_zpsj8vmzjvh.jpg

I spend an hour and a half or so photographing and hiking the falls area before heading back to the bike. Next stop: Split Rock Lighthouse State Park.

FallRideReport-14_zps6bjsy0gk.jpg

Split Rock Lighthouse State Park is named after Split Rock Lighthouse which is considered to be one of the most photographed and picturesque lighthouses in the U.S. Some interesting background, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Split Rock Lighthouse was built in response to the great loss of ships during the famous Mataafa Storm of 1905, in which 29 ships were lost on Lake Superior. One of these shipwrecks, the Madeira, is located just north of the lighthouse. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Split_Rock_Lighthouse
It is built on a 130-foot (40 m) sheer cliff eroded by wave action from a diabase sill containing inclusions of anorthosite. The octagonal building is a steel-framed brick structure with concrete trim on a concrete foundation set into the rock of the cliff. It is topped with a large, steel lantern which features a third order, bi-valve type Fresnel lens manufactured by Barbier, Bernard and Turenne Company in Paris, France. The tower was built for a second order lens, but when construction went over budget, there was only enough funding remaining for the smaller third order lens. The lens floats on a bearing surface of liquid mercury which allows near frictionless operation. The lens is rotated by an elaborate clockwork mechanism that is powered by weights running down the center of the tower which are then reset by cranking them back to the top. When completed, the lighthouse was lit with an incandescent oil vapor lamp that burned kerosene.

At the time of its construction, there were no roads to the area and all building materials and supplies arrived by water and lifted to the top of the cliff by crane. The light was first lit on July 31, 1910. Thanks to its dramatic location, the lighthouse soon became a tourist attraction for sailors and excursion boats. So much so, that in 1924 a road (now Minnesota State Highway 61) was built to allow land access.

In 1940, the station was electrified and the lamp was replaced with a 1000 watt electric bulb, and the incandescent oil vapor lamp was moved to Au Sable Point Lighthouse in Northern Michigan. Split Rock was outfitted with a fog signal housed in a building next to the light tower. The original signal was a pair of sirens driven by two Franklin 30 hp (22 kW) gasoline-driven air compressors manufactured by Chicago Pneumatic Tool Company. In 1932 the gasoline engines were replaced with diesel engines. The steam sirens were replaced with a Type F-2-T diaphone (be-you) type signal in 1936. The station and the fog signal were electrified four years later, but was discontinued in 1961.

The light was retired in 1969 by the U. S. Coast Guard. The lighthouse is now part of the Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and is operated by the Minnesota Historical Society. The site includes the original tower and lens, the fog signal building, the oil house, and the three keepers' houses. It is restored to appear as it did in the late 1920s. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Notwithstanding that the light has been retired, every November 10 the lighthouse emits a light in memory of the SS Edmund Fitzgerald which sank on that date in 1975. On June 30, 2011, the lighthouse was designated as a National Historic Landmark.

There is an awesome scenic overlook that lies just before the entrance to the state park on MN-61. From the overlook, you have a panoramic view of Lake Superior as well as a postcard view of the lighthouse which stands two thirds of a mile away. I stop at the overlook for a couple of quick photos.

FallRideReport-15_zpsszjjhfrz.jpg

FallRideReport-16_zpswerjnb2l.jpg

The FJR looks good at the overlook too
biggrin.png

FallRideReport-17_zpswaa83zkk.jpg

After photographing Split Rock Lighthouse from the overlook, I hop back on the bike and head into the park.

FallRideReport-18_zpsbnh8bunb.jpg

There is a large parking lot at the lighthouse where most tourists go to see the light up close and tour the museum. But a much less busy location with amazing photo ops is to the south of the lighthouse where a paved parking lot provides access to both paved and unpaved trails. From this location, the lakeshore is only 100 yards away. I follow a trail out to the rocky beach and set up to photograph Ellingson Island. Ellingson is a small island just off the shoreline and from this beach, my boys and I have tossed thousands of these rocks back into the lake on past family trips.

FallRideReport-19_zps92kyb4ds.jpg

I walk about 100 yards to the south for my next photo. This is, in my opinion, the best location from which to shoot the iconic lighthouse, perched 130 feet above the lake. The tip of Ellingson Island is in the foreground on the right hand side of the frame.

FallRideReport-20_zpsjcneonjr.jpg

A dad and his kids were nearby playing on the rocky beach, a scene my boys and I duplicate on our family trips.

FallRideReport-21_zpsidg7payi.jpg

By now, it was 3pm and I still have quite a few miles left to ride, another stop to make, and a hike to take before dark. I gather up my gear and start the five minute walk back to the parking lot where I left the bike. I pass another photographer on the trail; he's headed out to the spot I had just left with plans of photographing the lighthouse as well.

FallRideReport-22_zpsi3iruyly.jpg

Before hopping back on the bike, I shed the mid-layer jacket I had been wearing under my Klim Latitude. I had already put the heated gloves away earlier in the day when I left Gooseberry. The daytime temps are in the mid-50's and with plenty of sunshine, it is wonderful fall riding weather. North of Split Rock on MN-61, the traffic lightens and the towns are fewer. It's a marvelous section of road that crosses a number of cascading rivers flowing into Lake Superior.

FallRideReport-23_zpsekq0bj9y.jpg

I can usually get the cruiser riders to wave back at me when I wave at them first.
biggrin.png

FallRideReport-24_zpsidrq0rhu.jpg

Schroeder, Minnesota

FallRideReport-25_zps52qa17gt.jpg

My final stop of the day for hiking and photos is Oberg Mountain near Tofte, Minnesota which is about 45 miles north of Split Rock on MN-61. I have hiked Oberg before but never in the fall so I'm really looking forward to viewing and photographing the fall colors from the top of the mountain. I had carefully planned my day and each stop so that I could reach Oberg with enough daylight left to make the hike up, hike around the summit loop trail, and capture the photos that I wanted, while still having enough daylight left to make the hike back down to the bike before dark. Oberg Mountain is in Superior National Forest and the only road in is a gravel Forest Service road. Fortunately, the 2-mile road is fairly hard packed and although it does have a few washboard sections that rattle the bike a bit more than I like, it's an easy ride.

FallRideReport-26_zpsfhusiliy.jpg

At the end of this road is a dirt parking lot and imagine my surprise when I pull into the lot and see another FJR (2005?) parked in the distance. A man and woman are standing near the bike talking to another guy driving a pickup truck and they gave me a hard look as I ride towards them. I give the couple a big wave and a thumbs-up, assuming they were the ones on the FJR, and they waved back. Unfortunately, I only have two hours of daylight left and must get to the top of the mountain, so I don't take time to stop and chat.

I park the bike, lock up my riding jacket, pants, boots, and gloves in the hard bags, grab my camera gear and start up the trail. Round trip, the hike is only 2.3 miles. There is a nice elevation gain on the way up the mountain but it's nothing like hiking the Rockies. It's just enough to get the blood circulating good. My 5 and 7 year old boys have hiked it with us and while the pace is slower with them, they manage it just fine.

I'm carrying my camera gear in a lightweight backpack made for that purpose. I also have a carbon fiber tripod attached to the backpack so with camera, three lenses, some miscellaneous items and the tripod, my pack weighs in at about 23lbs. It's not a huge burden but what does get to be a hassle is having to stop and open the bag up and pull the camera out for a shot while I'm hiking along a trail. So I've begun using my iPhone to snap photos while on the trail and it does a fine job. The next couple of photos were taken with the iPhone as I was hiking up the mountain.

FallRideReport-27_zpsadsascnz.jpg

FallRideReport-28_zpslgetzwtd.jpg

Once the trail reaches the summit, it forks and makes a loop around the top of the mountain. I had previously scouted the location I wanted to photograph from based on sun direction and time of day, so I take the left fork of the trail which is the most direct route to my location of choice. This takes me along the western edge of the mountain. There are two different spots on the summit that work well for a late day westerly shot. The lighting was perfect and exactly what I was hoping to have - long shadows for detail and low, direct light on the fall foliage for vivid colors.

FallRideReport-30_zpsns01tlyp.jpg

FallRideReport-29_zpssntnlzpq.jpg

After grabbing the shots I was after, I check the time and have an hour of daylight left so I continue my hike around the summit loop trail.

FallRideReport-31_zpsslf9xhyo.jpg

FallRideReport-32_zpswmlx1sto.jpg

As the trail swings around the east side of the mountain, a jaw-dropping panoramic view of Lake Superior is served up. I sat on an overlook for a few minutes just taking in the view and gazing at the peaceful lake below. iPhone video clip of the view from the overlook:

The shadows are getting even longer now so I gather myself up and make the hike back down the mountain and reach the parking lot just as the sun was setting. Only a couple of vehicles were still there, including a Chevy Lumina with a really nice license plate frame.
biggrin.png

FallRideReport-33_zpsdthtyxz0.jpg

The temperature will drop quickly now that the sun has set, so I put my heated jacket liner back on. I make the short and uneventful 25 mile ride to reach the Best Western in Grand Marais, MN where I have a room booked. I arrive at 7:30pm, check in, and am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the room. I haven't stayed in many Best Westerns so I didn't have a lot to compare it to, but my room is very clean and recently updated. It's a great place to crash after a long day.

FallRideReport-34_zpsqtk342j5.jpg

Conspicuously absent from my day so far are any meal stops. That's because there weren't any! I have been only vaguely aware throughout the day of the fact that I have not eaten since I left home at 7am. Being on the bike, enjoying the riding experience, hiking and photographing the amazing North Shore was apparently all the sustenance I needed. That is, until I reach my hotel room and am struck with a ravenous hunger. I walk over to the gas station next door and pick up a gourmet meal which I devoured back in my room.

FallRideReport-35_zps4puw2ii1.jpg

After dinner, I check email, glance at the weather forecast - tomorrow will be another nice day but with more clouds - and read some news on the iPad. Lastly, I make a call home to say goodnight to my wife (the boys were already in bed by now). Tomorrow morning will begin at 5:30am - more than an hour before sunrise. I've planned for a special photo at Grand Marais harbor and need to be set up at the harbor by 6:15am.

Coming up next: Day 2 with a Lake Superior sunrise, a morning ride to the Canadian border, another waterfall hike, and the ride home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tiger,

Thanks for sharing your ride report. Great photos. As a photographer I have to ask how are you getting the "on bike shots?" What camera and how are you attaching it to yourself? Looking forward to day 2.

Gmann

Nice ride report Tiger. Despite not living too far from the North shore, and my son attending college in Duluth for two years I have not had the opportunity to explore the North shore drive past the Split Rock Light House. It has been on top of my to do list since I got back into motorcycles 10 years ago. I will definitely be following along for day two and will have to make it happen this fall. Thanks for the inspiration as it seems like the closest destinations are the ones I most overlook.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful photography - you certainly know how to frame a picture. A few of your shots toward the end did not show up on the ride report for me. By far my favorite so far is what you describe as your favorite view of the lighthouse. That looks so inviting to me. I've never seen any of the Great Lakes and shall one day hope to get there.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Tiger,
Thanks for sharing your ride report. Great photos. As a photographer I have to ask how are you getting the "on bike shots?" What camera and how are you attaching it to yourself? Looking forward to day 2.

Gmann
Thanks for the compliment Gmann
smile.png
I did a good bit of experimentation and research before getting the "first person view" shots dialed in the way I want. They're done with a GoPro mounted to my helmet chin area. The same setup works for ride video too, which I do occasionally. If you need any more specifics feel free to shoot me a PM.

Nice ride report Tiger. Despite not living too far from the North shore, and my son attending college in Duluth for two years I have not had the opportunity to explore the North shore drive past the Split Rock Light House. It has been on top of my to do list since I got back into motorcycles 10 years ago. I will definitely be following along for day two and will have to make it happen this fall. Thanks for the inspiration as it seems like the closest destinations are the ones I most overlook.
Abercrombie, I am embarrassed to say that I had spent 8 years in Minnesota before I discovered the North Shore. Maybe I was living in a bubble, I'm not sure, but no one had ever suggested or encouraged me to explore the area and it took many years for it to land on my radar. Please do make a trip - there is so much to explore that I'm sure you'll be rewarded! If you need any tips or suggestions of things to see, let me know. I'm certainly not the end-all authority in the area, but I've explored a fair amount and can usually come up with enough suggestions to keep folks busy
smile.png

Nice RR...Great pictures!
Thank you sir....glad you like the photos!

Beautiful photography - you certainly know how to frame a picture. A few of your shots toward the end did not show up on the ride report for me. By far my favorite so far is what you describe as your favorite view of the lighthouse. That looks so inviting to me. I've never seen any of the Great Lakes and shall one day hope to get there.
Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Pants, thanks for letting me know about the missing photos. I had two broken links that I didn't catch, but they should all be there now. So much for proofing. I have photographed the lighthouse from that location more than anything else along the North Shore. You can say that it's my favorite location and I'm glad you liked that photo! Hopefully, you can make a trip sometime.

Nice ride report!!
rolleyes.gif
Thanks Tiger for sharing with us!!
smile.png
You're welcome and thank you for reading!

Day 2: Grand Marais, Minnesota to Grand Portage State Park then Home - 338 miles

Spending the night in Grand Marais offered a benefit the next morning. In late fall, the sun rises directly behind the Grand Marais harbor light when it's viewed from the rock beach across the harbor. The harbor light stands on the end of a breakwater at the entrance of the harbor and I am hoping to photograph the elusive sunrise. I use a neat app called LightTrac that shows me the direction and angle of the sun on a given day and time. Very handy.

LightTrack_zpsz1ykw5dt.jpg

I've tried to get a sunrise photo here before, but each time I was met with overcast conditions. Lake Superior is so large that it actually influences the weather in the area so even a confident short range forecast can't be entirely counted on. The forecast for this particular morning was temps in the high 30's at sunrise with partly cloudy skies.

I set my phone's alarm for 5:45am and begin waking up a few minutes before it went off. I quickly layer up in cold weather gear since I will be out in the cold for the next couple of hours. The harbor location is only a half mile from my hotel so I load my camera gear into the top box and head off with hopes of having something to work with.

The parking area at the harbor is a very loose gravel lot. Very, very, carefully I get the bike safely parked and begin to unload my gear. The right amount of clouds are great for what I'm hoping to do, but too many clouds will block the sunlight from scattering through the atmosphere, which would be a bummer! Sunrise is about 45 minutes away at this point so I pick my shooting spot, set up my tripod, mount the camera and begin the wait.

15 minutes later, I'm starting to see quite a few clouds, especially on the horizon, but I can also see some color as well. So far, so good. The photo below is my setup, taken at 6:36am....30 minutes before sunrise:

FallRideReport-36_zpsiuzijhvk.jpg

I wait another 11 minutes and take my first photo at 6:47am. Sunrise is still 18 minutes away but as the sun is coming up behing the earth, the clouds on the horizon are being lit from below. At this point, I am becoming a little concerned that the cloud ceiling will close in and completely block the sunlight from scattering through the atmosphere.

FallRideReport-37_zpsx5pt7fqu.jpg

The next photo is taken 5 minutes later, at 6:52am and conditions are changing very quickly now. This is what I am after! The sun is quickly rising, but still out of sight below the horizon, and sunlight continues to find its way around the earth to light up the clouds.

FallRideReport-38_zps5saksn3a.jpg

As quickly as it came, the light show ends. 8 minutes after the previous photo, I take the final shot. It's 7am and the sunrise is still 5 minutes away but the sun's angle below the horizon has changed just enough that the cloud ceiling is now blocking and absorbing the light.

FallRideReport-39_zpsqcbrx2xm.jpg

So the dramatic light I had hoped to find lasted less than 15 minutes but I am walking away with three very different photos so I'm happy. On top of that, it's Monday morning and I'm touring the North Shore.

On a motorcycle.

An FJR
biggrin.png

I pack up my gear and give the FJR some photo love before heading back to the hotel to clean, pack, grab breakfast, and hit the road once again.

FallRideReport-40_zpsq72kg581.jpg

I'm in no particular hurry as I prepare to depart the hotel, eventually pulling out of the parking lot around 9:45am. I've decided to ride 40 miles further north to Grand Portage State Park. The highest waterfall in Minnesota lies within the park (actually, it forms part of the international border between Canada and the U.S.). The best riding of the trip was the segment between Grand Marais and Grand Portage. It is 40 miles of almost completely undeveloped north woods with glimpses of Lake Superior to the east. I may have seen 10 cars the entire stretch of road.

FallRideReport-41_zpstozcljqb.jpg

FallRideReport-42_zpsuugobuyw.jpg

FallRideReport-43_zpsvoegfku8.jpg

FallRideReport-44_zps4pogc2mu.jpg

FallRideReport-45_zpscs6h8qzc.jpg

FallRideReport-46_zpsxpni6cvg.jpg

FallRideReport-47_zpsukoda2l4.jpg

FallRideReport-48_zpssdueojlq.jpg

FallRideReport-49_zps8nmo8ljk.jpg

FallRideReport-50_zpsfva2uv6m.jpg

I arrive at Grand Portage State Park at 10:30am. It's Monday morning so the park is very quiet. I chose a parking spot, change into some hiking cloths, lock up my riding gear, and grab my camera. After checking in at the visitor center for a park map, I find the Falls Trail which leads to High Falls, a short 1/2 mile walk on a fully accessible trail.

FallRideReport-52_zpsgtftoh1o.jpg

FallRideReport-53_zpspl9yenm5.jpg

FallRideReport-54_zpscyddcqbd.jpg

The short hike has a nice reward at the end. High Falls is on the Pigeon River which is the international boundary. Ontario also has a park on the Canadian side of the river with its own observation decks similar to the U.S. side. I don't see any Canucks on the other side during my short visit though
smile.png

Because the river forms the border, the waterfall is technically splitting the border as well. Above the falls, the river turns left so the hill in the background of the photo below is on the Canadian side.

FallRideReport-55_zpsugxqg58r.jpg

I hang out on the observation deck for a few minutes and chat about cameras and photography with some folks that came up the trail behind me. However, before long I start to hear the call of the road and I need to start the journey home. I take a leisurely walk back to the parking lot, snapping a few photos of the fall colors along the way.

FallRideReport-56_zpsqn6sfgos.jpg

FallRideReport-57_zpsqwp2aqvm.jpg

I make a pit stop at the visitor center and head back to the bike where I suit up in riding gear, put in my ear plugs, and hit the road a few minutes after 12pm.

FallRideReport-58_zpsxzzzw8iy.jpg

The ride back down the North Shore was bittersweet; I knew this trip would be my last mini-adventure of the year which was disappointing, but I was thankful to have had the opportunity to experience the amazing scenery one more time. Reaching Duluth, I stop for gas and grab a sandwich, then ride the last 160 miles home looking forward to seeing the family and sharing my adventure with them.

Thanks for following along on my first ride report and hopefully you were able to experience a bit of the wonderful North Shore with me
smile.png

Fantastic write up! I am going to have to keep Empire Cycle in mind for tire changes. I ride/drive past there nearly daily during my commute.

Fantastic write up! I am going to have to keep Empire Cycle in mind for tire changes. I ride/drive past there nearly daily during my commute.
Thanks! I heard a rumor that wftreg (Bill) had the guys at Empire put a rear tire on his bike yesterday :D

If you need any location specifics for your North Shore trip, just let me know. An up and back day trip won't leave a ton of time for you to explore. One thing to consider is that if you spend one night in Grand Marais, you could leave early the next morning and be back home before noon. Spending the night would give you the entire day to explore as you ride up the shore. May not work with current family responsibilities, but it's a very doable option for a future trip.

Great write up Tiger. I have traveled up the Ontario side of lake Superior it is also very picturesque with plenty of wildlife. They make great photos but you need to always expect the unexpected from Mother Nature up in that area.

I was gonna agree with Pants on the lighthouse photo being my favorite... until this one posted up... sunrises/sunsets are some of my favorite things to witness in the world... it's like the universe is making the gift of a painting just for me at that moment in time and it will never be the same again... just stunning! B)

The next photo is taken 5 minutes later, at 6:52am and conditions are changing very quickly now. This is what I am after! The sun is quickly rising, but still out of sight below the horizon, and sunlight continues to find its way around the earth to light up the clouds.
FallRideReport-38_zps5saksn3a.jpg

Great write up Tiger. I have traveled up the Ontario side of lake Superior it is also very picturesque with plenty of wildlife. They make great photos but you need to always expect the unexpected from Mother Nature up in that area.
Thanks Madmudder. I've got a Lake Superior Loop all mapped out and ready to go; I would love to see the Canadian and Michigan sides....just need some time to make it happen!
Great RR!
Thank you sir!
I was gonna agree with Pants on the lighthouse photo being my favorite... until this one posted up... sunrises/sunsets are some of my favorite things to witness in the world... it's like the universe is making the gift of a painting just for me at that moment in time and it will never be the same again... just stunning!
cool.png
Thanks Tyler. Agree on sunrises and sunsets. I've dragged myself out of bed more than a few times to try to photograph a sunrise. It's always a bit painful to do, but ends up being worth the effort every time. At least as long as the weather cooperates.

Tiger, Great RR!

I have traveled those same roads dozens of times, and still never got the BLUE SKY and POSTCARD pics that you did!

Thanks for the memories. Maybe next time go down the Gunflint Trail and up Eagle Mountain (highest point in MN).