Mounting Givi top case using SR357 *and* Garauld Stiffy Kit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cninham

Reaction score
OK, I have search this forum and read various posts, but I cannot get a clear consensus... I want to mount a Givi V47 Monokey top case on my 2015 FJR1300ES. I was thinking of using the Givi SR357 mounting plate. I also have purchased the Garauld Gen2/3 Stiffy Kit.

My question is this, do I use only the Givi SR357 mounting rack or do I install the Garauld stiffy kit first and then install the Givi SR357 mounting rack on top of the stiffy kit (ie use *both*)...?

Any info and help will be appreciated, please

Thank you -- Cameron

I have both, longer bolts were necessary for me on the top part though.

I can't find the post, but, somewhere on here I thought I read that the GIVI SR357 makes the stiffy kit no longer required. The connection points of the SR357 bridge the weak part of the rear subframe and provide greater support?

It does. Yet, some of us, who had to do the PIA work of replacing a broken subframe, decided "Why not do both, so I definitely don't have to do this crap again ever?"

I don't have the stiffy kit but I wish I had added it with the SR357. The SR357 rack has a load limit of 21lbs. The top case is 10 or 12 lbs all by itself which doesnt leave much capacity left before the SR357 has been loaded beyond capacity. I would think the stiffy kit would add some useful load capacity.

Both will give you a solid rear sub-frame for sure. After using a stock trunk and mount and now having a GIVI trunk with a SR357, the latter is a solid mount and IMO eliminates the need for a stiffy kit.

We tend to pack the trunk with day use, light weight items so weight isn't a concern.

YMMV

--G

I just did this tonight. My 2010 came with the Givi and mounting plate already installed. You have to remove the mounting plate to install the Stiffy, so Stiffy first.

The mounting plate is solid but it doesn't do the job of the Stiffy which is to reinforce the subframe by distributing the load closer to the bike, kind of like a weight distribution hitch.

For lack of better terms the stiffy stiffened up the rear rack substantially, took a lot of the bounce out. Very happy I did this mod.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Kelvininin" data-cid="1285582" data-time="1453952718"><p>

I just did this tonight. My 2010 came with the Givi and mounting plate already installed. You have to remove the mounting plate to install the Stiffy, so Stiffy first. <br />

<br />

The mounting plate is solid but it doesn't do the job of the Stiffy which is to reinforce the subframe by distributing the load closer to the bike, kind of like a weight distribution hitch. <br />

<br />

For lack of better terms the stiffy stiffened up the rear rack substantially, took a lot of the bounce out. Very happy I did this mod. </p></blockquote>

Do you have the Steel SR357 mount that replaces the Pillion grip handles?

I have taken a good look at the extra support bracket the Givi has. I think it will help truss up the top case but the main load bearing member remains the FJR sub frame. Will it be as good as the Stiffy? I guess only time will tell, but given the general weakness of the sub frame, any extra support would be beneficial.

Yep, I did both as well. If one is good, both is better.........even if I didn't have to deal with a broken subframe to conclude that. Seeing all the hassles associated with the broken subframe and what they had to deal with convinced me to make it a remote possibility by installing both.

Sux.

CAM00164_zpsfea06caf.jpg

Subframes are expensive. They can be welded, but that means more down time, at least potentially. I don't do down time. I use both the stiffy kit and the 357 rack because I don't want to have to do this again.

IVaYUb.jpg

I guess it all depends on what you want to do and how you use the bike. I put almost 13K miles on my '15 ES with the very weak SHAD mounting system. The SHAD does nothing to help support the subframe, in fact it looked like it stressed it more. I never saw an issue but I was never happy with it either. I did love my SHAD box though.

Givi makes two mounts for the FJR. One is the SR357 which does a very good job of "stiffening" and supporting the rear subframe. The other mount just bolts on the back to hold the box.

Anyone who saw the pics of hppants wrecked 2014 with the very scuffed V46 mounted to the SR357 will see that the SR357 does wonders for supporting and strengthening the frame. In fact, hppants was able to salvage that SR357 and install it on his 2014.2 FJR.

I just installed the SR357 and I am very pleased with it. I will not discount the value of Garauld's work. He does fine work and does wonderful things for this forum.

Echo-ing my friend, RH. My bike slid on its left side. I conservatively estimate that it hit the pavement at 40 mph. The V46 was rashed, but it did not separate from the SR-357 and the box stayed latched. I am still using both the rack and the box.

grand%20scheme247_zpsfts7hbyx.jpg

I'm not an overly brand loyal person, but I think Givi has my motorcycle luggage business for the indefinite future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks hppants. I was hoping you would come along. That ^^^ pic is the one I had on my mind. That could be a Givi Advertisement.

Oh, and pants? MY new V47 Tech looks way better than your flat black V46! If you had another shiny red cover...

I'm not an overly brand loyal person, but I think Givi has my motorcycle luggage business for the indefinite future.
If you ever get the chance to talk to them on the phone....

They'll completely change your mind.