Best iPhone 6 plus Mount........

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlacknWhite23

Reaction score
Did a search, did not come up with much. I recently upgraded my phone to a 6 plus, from a 5s. I have a ram ball mount for my old phone, it is the one that colapses and expands and has the fingers on the top and bottom so the phone is "hooked" into the cradle. Unfortunately it will not expand large enough for the new phone. I have looked at the large ram ball x design mount, however my concern is that the phone will fall out of that.

Does anyone have anyone have any suggestions for me on this topic?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

"Best" tends to be subjective unless you fully qualify what your definition is.

If you're doing just the phone and not a case...the RAM cradle is very good.

I went with a Pelican case and re purposed the belt holder by attaching it to a RAM ball.

Your jacket pocket or tank bag are the best options. I wouldn't mount my phone on my bars. It's too important to risk losing like that.

I find the right saddlebag to be the best phone mount. The left one is too isolated from the gps to work consistently via Bluetooth in case my wife calls b/c of an emergency.

Thanks for all the responses. Ignacio, is correct, "best" is very subjective. Looks like the X-Grip will be what I go with next. Thanks for all the ideas and responses!

Thanks for all the responses. Ignacio, is correct, "best" is very subjective. Looks like the X-Grip will be what I go with next. Thanks for all the ideas and responses!
Your I-Phone is about the same size and weight as my Motorola Droid X. I caught my Droid twice as it was slipping out of the X Grip. Went to a RAM Cradle style mount and have had no more trouble.

I've found that the damn X-Mounts just aren't secure. JMO YRMV

Your I-Phone is about the same size and weight as my Motorola Droid X. I caught my Droid twice as it was slipping out of the X Grip. Went to a RAM Cradle style mount and have had no more trouble.

I've found that the damn X-Mounts just aren't secure. JMO YRMV

BigJohn,

Do you put your phone in the cradle with out a case on it then? That is why I was gonna go with the x grip, since I have an otter box case on my phone.

For added security using the RAM X-Grip, I found and added a thick properly sized rubber band around the iPhone / Otterbox and arms. With it there's no risk of the phone slipping or getting loose.

No worries now...YMMV

--G

As you can see I don't post very often but I feel obligated to post my experience with the X Grip. I agree with bigjohnsd. I was on a trip when i had my 1 day old 6 plus on a xgrip in a defender case. Pulling into a small town I went across a rough railroad crossing at around 25 mph. Off came my phone which I almost caught. Fortunately no traffic I turned around and picked it up no problem no damage. I assumed it was a freak accident due to the rough tracks. I put it back in the mount and off I went. Couple of blocks later hit a small bump and off it came again. This time I did pin it against the tank and was able to get it into my jacket pocket. Just my experience but I will never trust it again. Mine now goes in a pocket. But I would love to find a good mount if someone knows of one.

I've ridden thousands of miles with both my old I-5 and current I-6S with an Otter box in an X-grip and never once had any problems with it trying to slip out. I use Radar Cast quite a bit so I like having it right in front of me to glance at. You guys need to wipe your greasy ass palm prints off your phones so they're not slick as snot.
punk.gif

For those that have lost their phones or used gumbands, the Texel Webgrip that I posted above works great with the X-grip and costs less than $5. On the bike, I use a Lifeproof case. I don't like fiddling with the phone on the bike and often keep it in the tank bag.where it charges and is protected, while feeding music, traffic and weather information to the Zumo 590.

Luddites!
rolleyes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
If'n you get an X-grip, it's always a good idea to glue them rubber nubbins in place. :wink, wink

Last edited by a moderator: