Engine & Bag Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTW1300

Reaction score
I have been following the forum for the last month (I just got my new to me 2013 FJR1300 in November) and I was prepared to buy the canyon cage engine and bag guards for protection etc. The last few weeks however have called that into question as so many of the forum have gone for the T-rex system.

I am looking for good protection that supports fit, form and function.

If you go with the canyon cages should we add sliders or highway pegs to prevent the bike from rolling over?

Can someone help with the pros and cons of the two systems.

Any help is appreciated as I would like to order so that I can install them before the season starts.

I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I went for the T-Rex because there was a group buy, and the price was unbeatable for something I planned on putting on the bike anyway.

Thanks folks. I guess the real question is which will provide the most protection and least amount of damage to the bike in a zero/low/slow tip over? Any opinion would help.

T-Rex comes with the sliders on the engine guard, I don't think the canyon cages do. But as stated, Garauld makes sliders that fit them. Out of the box, in my OPINION, the T-Rex would provide better protection. Throw Garauld's sliders on the canyon cages, and you're probably looking at very comparable protection.

Thanks folks. In looking at the pictures and with the advice of the forum it would seem that the T-Rex system which is external to the fairing provides more protection. Now off to determine pricing up here in Canada.

IMHO both products are great. I started with Canyon Cages because at that time they were the only bars available. They are very well built and easy to put on. Also, they look great on the bike and don't scream Engine Guards Here!!! I moved to T-rex before Garauld started making sliders, because I wanted more protection just in case my bike goes down at the parking lot.

T-rex bars have slightly narrower tubing than Canyon Cages but they seem to cover a larger area of the bike, and they come with the sliders. I must have gotten the old stock because they were completely rusted inside. Also, they came with switched mounting brackets that were not stamped L and R. Eventually I figured this out and then installation was quite simple.

Personally, I like how T-rex bars look on the bike a lot. There is enough space to put some highway pegs or extra lights.

And, of course, there is the price incentive. I paid $139 for T-rex, when C. Cages go for $279. Can't beat that.

I wasn't ready to commit to a full cage around the front, so I went with T-Rex's sliders and bag protectors last year. Not a great picture, but you can see the "FJR" teardrop slider up front and just make out the bag protector. I'm still not 100% on board with the rear bag protectors, but they look fine and would serve as a great mounting point for a GoPro (which I really ought to use more often, lol). Excellent build quality and easy to install. I think I'll need to remove the rear cages for the ride out to NAFO later this year though as I don't think Gary's rear-peg-mounted hydration system will fit with them in place (and I'll definitely need that).

IMG_3962-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Check Group Buy section and T-rex thread. There is a nice write up about installing them, with the pictures.

On T-rex website they use 2013 FJR as a model for their bars, trexracing.com if memory serves.

Last edited by a moderator: