Yamaha Topcase (New?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I am a little late on this, but nothing came up on my forum search. Does anyone own one yet?

Like to hear some specifics. New mounting plate? Has the rear subframe been beefed up on the '16?

I see on the Yamaha site that it is going for $777? Love to have someone write up a opinion on one if

they have one.

This came up somewhere in the thread on the new 2016. It was found on the European Website. Yamaha offers what appears to be an aluminum replacement for the plastic rear rack/grab handle assembly.

On Yamaha's UK site it shows the 2015 top case and its appropriate mount. No information about the construction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might buy one of those if I could get it in my year/color.
For sale @ Yamaha Europe...

1MC-F84A8-40-00-50l-top-case-touring-lava-red-studio-001.jpg

I wish they made it mount to the older style mount. I think it would be nice to have two different trunk options using the same quick change method.

You would NOT want to mount that 50-liter on the stock rack, thus the mount change. It requires the aluminum replacement rack, stronger than the stock plastic handles and rack. Yammy intentionally made it so it won't mount on the flimsy rack, which leads to the mount not working for the old box.

You would NOT want to mount that 50-liter on the stock rack, thus the mount change. It requires the aluminum replacement rack, stronger than the stock plastic handles and rack. Yammy intentionally made it so it won't mount on the flimsy rack, which leads to the mount not working for the old box.
Agreed, so why not make a rack that will fit both out of aluminum?

I know I am just wishing in the wind here, I know it is not going to happen from mother Yamaha, and I am sure there is a way to fab a one off or something for a few extra hundred bucks, I was just commenting that it would be nice to have options is all. The all or nothing gets old.

Its a fancy looking topbox. Stylish and matches the bikes design. Since its also Yamaha I imagine it costs a lot especially color matched?

Yamaha-FJR1300-2013-36_zps78320698.jpg

How do you know that?

I am not convinced, Yamaha originally ( in 2012 / early 2013) advertised the new case on the SAME mount as the small one, but they delayed the release because of strength issues. Now they finally released the new case in combination with the new aluminium rack.

However as far as I can find they did not change the design of the case itself, So the new rack may in fact fit both the 39 and 50 liter case...

I have a friend who ordered the new rack, expected to be delivered today or tomorrow. As soon as it is there we'll fit the old case and find out if that works on the new rack as well...

I am fascinated by all the helmet fitting that goes on. Neither my sidecases or my givi E55 will accommodate any full face or modular helmet I own, regardless of orientation. Bell, Shoei, or Nolan. All in sizes L or XL.

I am fascinated by all the helmet fitting that goes on. Neither my sidecases or my givi E55 will accommodate any full face or modular helmet I own, regardless of orientation. Bell, Shoei, or Nolan. All in sizes L or XL.
Never had an issue with any of mine helmets (even with mounted intercom on the side) to place it either to FJR sidecase nor 2x in Givi E55 or even VN47. For VN47 you need to "play a bit" but works fine. All sizes L or M, Shoei (Multitec, Neotec) Schubeth (C3, C3-pro), Scorpion (EXO 750). But I do not have XL size...

The new rack arrived today, and it does hold the old small case as well!

There are quite a few extra's needed to fit the new rack, including cutting the holes in the fairing larger.

Will do the job next week and post some pics of the results...

Unboxing

IMG-20160212-WA0000.jpg

And the manual...

IMG-20160212-WA0001.jpg

I thought that maybe it would. And for those who own the old smaller trunk, I;m glad that is true. I hope it becmes more available here in the US for all variants

Latest posts