gear suggestions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.ga.rider

Reaction score
Right now I have different season gear, mesh summer jacket, perforated leather for spring and fall, thermogear suit for winter. Im looking for a new set of jacket/ pants, gloves and maybe boots but they need to meet certain criteria. Im buying it for my august trip to Montana so I need something thats wearable in the south ga 100 heat and the Montana mountains 40 degree temps. I need it to be breathable and water proof so I dont have to throw on a rain suit every time it rains. The kicker is it needs to be reasonably priced. I cant afford klim or aerostich. I was looking at a first gear Kathmandu set but dont have any dealers around that stock them. Any suggestions?

If you don't want to deal with rain gear, the only real choice is Gore-tex. It's the only thing that is truly waterproof, and will breathe. The only problem is, that any gear with Gore-tex is not cheap. So if you decide to go that route, get ready to shell out some big $$$$. That being said...I do love my Klim Badlands Pro jacket.

Suggestion: ride up to one of the Cycle Gear stores in Metro, and see First Gear stuff in person. I have a spare bedroom if you don't want to make it a one-day trip.

There are also two stores in Jax if you're in that part of south Georgia.

And I will loudly echo El Toro Joe: get something that's already rainproof. Rain suits are never handy when you need them, and are always too hot when you're wearing them for an hour after the rain's stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been happy with my TourMaster Flex pants and jacket. I have 40K miles on my set, with temps down to the 30s and up past 100 degrees. Pants have a small shell that zips off to a mesh liner and is easy to store. Jacket is has an outer shell that can be taken off but it also has good venting. I can't remember an rain complaints in the few storms I have been in and have not used the internal liners at all . Both are price MSRP in the $200 each range. Pants - Jacket

A couple things that I have learned about gear:

You can spend big $ looking for the right gear by spending $ on the wrong gear. Good used gear is available if you are willing to

"Settle" on used. I have been shopping for gear for my wife for our Alaska venture next year and have gotten my feet wet in gear

hunting again. She is not willing to go with used.

If you can put a price on comfort and protection, the difference in pricing will seem minimal between quality gear and compromising

on a lesser quality. I absolutely love my Klim Traverse pants. Pockets, waterproofing and a venting that is fantastic. New I am seeing them

for around $300. South Florida to Alaska comfort ! I have ridden 2 IBRs in these pants and never gotten wet. Secondly I would lean toward

First gear.

The Klim Traverse Jacket has about the same price tag. I picked one up used for $125 on the "Bay"

Knowing the proper size is key when shopping online. I found this site for closeouts: Motorcycle Closeouts

I see a Killimanjaro jacket and Escape pants combo for $439 - Kathmandu Combo here for only $299.90 Motorcycle Closeouts

Good luck, see you in Montana !

Atl is around 3.5 hours and jax is about 3.

I would love klim gear and havent looked at the traverse yet. Is it good for cooler weather? Thats the best deal ive seen on the kathmandu pathfinder. Usually the jacket runs around 250. May have to bite the bullet on that

Atl is around 3.5 hours and jax is about 3.I would love klim gear and havent looked at the traverse yet. Is it good for cooler weather? Thats the best deal ive seen on the kathmandu pathfinder. Usually the jacket runs around 250. May have to bite the bullet on that
I have a Badlands jacket and a Traverse jacket. The Traverse Jacket is a 3 season IMO. The Traverse pants are 4 season for me.

The Badlands is currently found on closeout (Last Years Model) on several sites for around $600

Some great First gear used on the Bay: firstgear jacket | eBay

I can swing the traverse jacket but dont have the funds for the badlands with trying to save for the trip too. Reading reviews on the traverse now.

I can swing the traverse jacket but dont have the funds for the badlands with trying to save for the trip too. Reading reviews on the traverse now.
I would swing the Pants first, as I think they are fantastic. The Jacket… Keep shopping.

I am probably springing for Klim for the wife also, but am waiting for the IBA connection (-$) for some savings.

I have the Olympia Air Glide jacket and overpants. Good for the heat...and an electric liner and you are good for the cold.
I just picked up Air Glide jacket and pants for $312 total at Revzilla. Are you happy with them?

I've found excellent utility and reasonable durability in my Tourmaster Transition 3 jacket (3.5 years old now). Its rain resistance was lost by the end of the first year, but comparing dollar for dollar with price and materials of similar jackets, it has worked out well as a 3 season jacket for me way up here in the Canuck northwest.

I'm still eyeing up a Transition 4 jacket as a small step up now that the T3 has lost a bit of her sheen.

D3O armor for my back is the only thing that many moderate-priced jackets may still not offer, so I may shell out a little more to buy some and insert it.

I've been using Icon Anthem mesh pants now for a couple summers (air pretty much passes through them), and other than the Icon's original buckle having to be re-fastened on, I have really enjoyed these.

BTW, in spite of living in the north, my experience with this gear includes sustained southerly rides into +40c (~104 F) - and I ride a Gen 1, the 2 wheeled furnace.

bike.gif

I have the Olympia Air Glide jacket and overpants. Good for the heat...and an electric liner and you are good for the cold.
I just picked up Air Glide jacket and pants for $312 total at Revzilla. Are you happy with them?
Yes...very good for the heat and humidity...add that electric liner and you are good for all temps.

If you happen to know a Tucker Rocky dealer they have smoking deals on closeouts if you don't mind last years color.

advrider.com

Boom!

The holy grail of used gear. Much of it barely used.

I'd suggest getting a lighter outer suit, bring some layers and maybe some electric gear to go under. Electric is good because it's small and packs away into a small space (of which you won't have enough of once you are getting ready to go) but pack great warmth. That's what I ended up with for my September trip to Colorado. I needed something to get me across the high temps of West Texas (ended up being very cool though) and could still handle pulling up to the top of pikes peak where snowbanks were still in the shadows.

I felt silly shopping for heated gear in the middle of summer but careful watching on advrider allowed me to stumble across a guy selling a full set of barely used gear. Gerbing suit, liners and socks (never used the socks) were purchased for about what I'd have paid for the liners alone. I couldn't tell that any of the gear wasn't brand new when I got it.

DSCN3031_zps910lq9su.jpg

Last spring I took off on a 20 day ride. Before I left I decided life is too short to be too hot or too cold, so I took everything. Started off most mornings with a Gerbings heated jacket under my Olympia mesh jacket, coupled with Kevlar jeans. By late morning the Gerbing went in the side case.

Two of the days were wet and cold so I opened up the medium size waterproof bag strapped on the back to bring out my winter waterproof Olympia jacket to go over the Gerbings. I also brought along my waterproof, armored Joe Rocket pants.

I used this combination on several more trips before the season was over and didn't mind strapping that extra bag on even once.

I don't believe there is something that's comfortable from freezing to 90F. If it's good in the cold and waterproof, it's going to be the suck in heat. Vents help, but only so much. From the bottom up- I don't wear motor specific boots. I wear Danner Acadia boots. Desert, goretex only, or goretex insulated depending upon the trip and the season. When it's moderate and rainy, I wear Frogg Toggs Horny Toadz rain pants. Breathable, and lined. For cold weather, really cold, including wet, I wear First Gear HT overpants (a best buy). They are waterproof, well designed, and have a removable insulated liner. Both the Toggs and the HT's are designed so they're easily donnable or doffable over boots. The Toggs only last a season or two for me. The HT's are sturdier. I have too many jackets to mention. My go-to all weather (as long as it's not hot) is whatever sedici is calling their current all weather riding jacket (right now it's the rapido, on sale at Cycle Gear). Well vented, well designed, and with a removable full insulated liner. Order one size up. I wear a Hein Gericke Yamaha factory jacket when it's really cold, because it's big, bulky, and has a really warm liner. Police motor leather in spring and fall. The other jackets are all essentially rain shells, worn when it's warm and I only want rain/spray protection. To echo Hud and others above, Cycle Gear has some good gear, and some bad gear. All covered with a great warranty, and all available to inspect at their brick and mortar stores. Stopping in the rain to put on rain gear is a bad plan A. You'll be wet before you get your gear on. Quality rainproof gear with venting is what you want. That said- when it's hot, I don't usually wear waterproof gear. Vents or not, I refuse to stew in my gear. For a cross country trip as you mention, I'd load up my HT overpants with the liner stowed, the Sedici Rapido with the liner stowed, and rock on, using the insulated liners when I got to colder climes. I'll watch the websites all year and buy stuff when it's discounted when I have the luxury.

There will always be an element of personal preference. My motor leather ends at the waist, but all my other jackets, rain and general purpose, are touring length, going to the hips rather than ending at the waist. Partly because it keeps me warmer and dryer when I need it, partly because they don't hang up or ride up over my waist worn equipment, which I generally like to keep private when I'm off work unless I need to show someone the love of the baby jesus in my pretty green eyes.

There are a thousand ways to address the OP's concern. They are all right and they are all wrong.

The FJR has great lower protection and the adjustable wings do add some heat on your legs if you need it. Tourmaster Venture Air Pants. Bring the waterproof liner, leave the quilted liner, bring a pair of long handles. You are now good for 28 degrees - 104. This is no shit - I've done it. Reasonable comfort throughout that temperature range. BTW - these pants are battle tested too - knees, thigh, and hip hit the belt sander at 40-ish mph. Sprained knee from the leg twisting, but not a pebble touches my skin. I'm not proud of it, but it's good to know. I just picked up a replacement pair through Amazon for $125.00 shipped. The "2.0" series is out now, but the original Venture Air pants are what I have - on closeout everywhere.

Tourmaster Cortech GX sport air 3 jacket. Legitimagte 3 season range. Extremely comfortable - fits like a glove. I had 50,000 miles on the older version of this jacket and it was still serviceable when I replaced it. Has "top shelf" features for a bargain price. Zips up to the Venture pants (VERY important IMO). Again, bring the first liner, leave the quilted liner. Add a heated jacket liner and bring the long john uppers. Still good for the temp. range above. I just picked up this jacket from Revzilla for $149.00 shipped.

The tourmaster heated jacket liner is cheaper than the Gerbing. But I like it also because it has some insulation and can be used as a walking around jacket when you are not riding. It does take up more space in storage, though.

Buy a set of M/C Frogg Toggs. Now you are good for rain in that temp range, except when it becomes a Toad Strangler rain shower and in that case, unless you have a $1,500.00 Aerostitch, you are going to get wet anyway. In my experience, if you go with the Textile jacket, you are still going to bring the rain gear if you have it. And if you are going to bring the rain gear anyway, you might as well get the mesh jacket, which will give you comfort over a broader temperature range. I do realize that others differ. They are all right and they are all wrong.

Bring two sets of gloves. Buy one set that is over the cuff, reasonably insulated, and waterproof - these will set you back about $75.00 shipped. Mine are from Joe Rocket and they are excellent. Your second set should have hard knuckle protection and leather palm, but also have some mesh and vents in the top of the hand - you might get lucky and find these for about $40.00 on sale.

Buy a set of Gortex lined over the calf riding boots. I picked up my Alpinestars from new Enough a couple of years ago for $150.00 shipped. Wear them for 3-4 rides before you leave on your trip to break them in.

Starting from scratch - you can get all of this for about $900.00 - $1,000.00. Since you have the luxury of time, be diligent with your shopping and be prepared to pounce when a good deal surfaces.

I also agree with Jason - gently used gear can be picked up for dirt cheap. The key IMO is to make sure it is EXACTLY what you want. If the gear is not to your liking, its a waste at any price. I learned that the hard way with the Olympia AST.