Groundhog Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
In Southwestern PA, we're known for industry, yinzers, perogies, fish fries, and a groundhog. "Punxsutawney Phil, Seer of Seers, Sage of Sages, Prognosticator of Prognosticators and Weather Prophet Extraordinary.". Well I was on my way for a follow-up to yesterday's cataract surgery, when I heard on the radio that this idiot groundhog had NOT SEEN his shadow. (It's all the news here). Well, it's a perfectly clear sunny day, and while I appreciate an early spring, I needed to see why the weather in Punxsutawney was so different.

The sun was making strong shadows at the Waterfront in Homestead PA. The stacks are all that remain of the U.S. Steel Homestead Works.

00D49A94-7BAF-417B-8118-5EF99B2EC163.jpg

So after returning from my appointment, I noticed I could see my shadow just fine, and that meant I could ride.

XumEPFH.jpg

Approaching Punxsutawney, the weather was still sunny and clear with plenty of shadows.

oUFCmUz.jpg

The groundhog was obviously being held hostage and the fix was in. He was nowhere in sight. Didn't see him at the Chamber of Commerce.

CbC26oP.jpg

The town square was being packed up...they even absconded with the Gazebo for renovations.

9ab1WZS.jpg

Impostors were everywhere. Dozens of these things around town we had Scottish Groundhog, Mailman Groundhog, Hardware Groundhog...well you get the idea, they're everywhere.

bOHYXNu.jpg

IYGIiFn.jpg

I'll be honest with you. There isn't much in Punsuxtawney any day of the year, and once the drunks go home after the weather forecast, there isn't much there on Groundhog day either. I was unable to solve the mystery of who was influencing, or holding the rodent hostage. Considering his 30% accuracy rating, I think someone edited the forecast. But all was not lost. We have a sunny day. So I wandered the backroads home, but first, found some good ethanol free fuel in Groundhogville. I never saw this in California, so I had to have some, even though it costs $0.98 a gallon more than the regular.

0deQA0E.jpg

Winter roads in PA are sublime.

cRfy9n9.jpg

And going through Indiana, PA the weather was holding just fine.

haRswVo.jpg

On the small backroads, you get real close to PA. The houses and farms are right on the small roadways.

RnGox22.jpg

zBnDvLN.jpg

FToT3Of.jpg

There was so much more with river and lake crossings, small towns and even a sign for Fish and Pierogies from St Matthews In SSaltsburg. The fish fries during Lent are everywhere, and worth the experience here. Ever had a pierogie?

cau8nA7.jpg

The dirty old whore really needs a bath...JSNS

sGffRmO.jpg

Nice ride report and pics, worked outside today, the wind was cold. Thanks for the "ride".John
Any time I can get out on Groundhog Day, its a mild winter. I did have the electric gear up over 1/2 today, and was thankful for the warmth. The wind wasn't much of a problem as I was creating my own. Wish I had grabbed the shot of the Amish carriage near Smicksburg.

Enjoyed the Pic's and store. Thanks for sharing, Its been a long time since I had real pierogies - Guess I have been in the pacific NW too long.

Great RR Tom. Thanks for taking us with you.

And if that's losing, I've got to rethink some things here.

Nice RR Tom!

I rode out to Punxy last year one of those groundhog statues, Freedom Phil, was a Tour of Honor memorial. Interesting little town.

Jeeze, Tom - though all my vehicles take regular, if I could get ethanol free gasoline for $2.98 per gallon back here in the namesake state you left, I'd happily gorge on the unnecessarily high octane stuff for everything. My power tools would be especially happy.

The Poconos are in the far northeast part of the state, and I have not yet spent any time there. I have been close, (around Sesquehanna, Williamsport) but not in the Poconos. I'll have to go discover the area and scout it out for you. Most of mountainous PA is great riding, including the Laural Highlands where I am. It just seems to get better as you go into the Appalachians and Allegheny mtns. So many of the FJR group rides pull us south. The guy who really knows this region is K.J. (TopSpeed1). I'll have to hook up with him as a guide.

Jeeze, Tom - though all my vehicles take regular, if I could get ethanol free gasoline for $2.98 per gallon back here in the namesake state you left, I'd happily gorge on the unnecessarily high octane stuff for everything. My power tools would be especially happy.
Out of likes. I see this stuff and can't resist. The chainsaws and leaf blower really like it. We have ethanol free fuel at most marinas, but it's rare on the roads.

Our fuel price has recently dropped to around £1 per litre. That's $5.51 per US gallon. But it's started to go up again. Not sure of the ethanol content, though. It's not well advertised, possibly 5%.