Daytona

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJnNC

Reaction score
I am planning on riding down to bike week in daytona in March. I know... I'll probably be the only sport touring bike down there,(although I saw a guy on a nice bmw 1200RT riding on Main Street last year), but it's a great excuse to get away. And I'll probably be one of the few that get's their bike down there without a trailer! Anyway, I'm planning on riding out of western NC on March 9 or 10. On sunday March 13th I am leaving Daytona heading down to Key West for a few days. If anyone wants to hook up for some riding let me know.

I did the same ride last year. Daytona and then down to key West. While your down in key West, try to get to dry Tortugas state Park. One of the coolest things to do down there and gotta see it once in your life.

Also, make sure you are good with tires. My pr3 was done by the time I got to key West (unexpectedly) . I had a heck of a time finding anywhere to get one for the ride home. All the dealers and shops in key West pack up and head to Daytona so options are severely diminished.

I found a one guy shop with one tire in stock to fit my FJR. The guy was awesome. But if it weren't for him, I would have had a bad time. Even in South Florida many shops were simply closed.

It is nice down there. Crappy roads (boring) all through most of Florida. But the keys are a great destination.

I'll probably be the only sport touring bike down there...
Funny, I head for Daytona almost every year, and there are a slew of FJRs as well as other sport touring bikes there at any given time. Guess it just depends on where you choose to hang out. Personally I don't care for all the hoopla on main street and it seems that most FJR riders don't either as you just won't see many of us there. Just my opinion, but laughing at the "Hey, look at me" crowd gets old after a while. But we'll be there. Daytona is a big place: it's hard to find ALL THE RIGHT PEOPLE IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES
smile.png

thanks Mr Zappo, my '15 bike has 1700 miles on it so far, so hope I'm good for the trip. This is my 3rd time making this trip, and I just love US 1 once I hit the keys. I have heard of dry Tortugas state Park, but have not been there, sounds like a good idea.

garyahouse, where will you be hanging out? I can give you my cell and would enjoy meeting up that week. I do enjoy the posers on Main Street for awhile though.

Hmmm… Another rider heading to Key West. Time your ride to hit the 7 mile bridge at sunrise, You will not regret waking up early for it.

I will be riding the "Plane Crazy BBG" out of Jacksonville with another forum member and doing the Jax. dinner with the wife. I will watch this thread

and maybe we can arrange a reception ride to eat for you. When you plan the specifics on you ride post em up.

I'll be there but not riding.

I work Daytona and Sturgis for Memphis Shades, a manufacturer of Cruiser Windshields and Fairings.

We will be set up in front of the J&P store at Destination Daytona.

Would love to meet any of you in the area.

I'll be working from Feb 29th to March 12th.

Please stop in and say hey!

John

I'll be there but not riding.
I work Daytona and Sturgis for Memphis Shades, a manufacturer of Cruiser Windshields and Fairings.

We will be set up in front of the J&P store at Destination Daytona.

Would love to meet any of you in the area.

I'll be working from Feb 29th to March 12th.

Please stop in and say hey!

John
I may just do that John. Kind of a pre-introduction to the Red Lodge event.

I am thinking of coming down to Daytona for a couple of days. Will probably stay with my brother over in Orlando and just commute. What would be a couple of good days to see this madness? Also, maybe get together with some of yoose guys down there.

When we lived near Orlando, I would attend Bike Week Main Street only on the first Friday.

Two crowded plus grid lock after that.

Watched the dirt flat track races a couple times. Great close-up fun in the paddock and stands.

Used go to the qualifying sessions, support races and the Daytona 200, before it was ruined by DMG. Might be good again now.

Last year I rode down via all GA backroads to the FL border. Slower but a way better ride than the I75 horrorshow.

'The Loop' ride between Ormond and Flagler is a nice ride. Being full of motorcycles makes it fun in a different way than the normal tranquil ride. (N. Beach, Old Dixie Hwy, Walter Boardman, High Bridge, John Anderson - Can be extended with S. Beach & Halifax)

Ponce de Leon Lighthouse is a nice ride by, too.

Peninsula is a superior N/S path vs Atlantic while on the island.

Bellevue Ave is the E/W way to avoid Int Speedway Blvd.

Last edited by a moderator:
We, the Memphis Shades crew, eat or drink supper starting about 1900 at Houligan's in the Destination Daytona Complex. Houligan's is right on Highway 1, next to the Budweiser horse tents. We always eat in the bar. First beer for FJR folks is on me. JSNS

How about we try to get together Friday 3/11? Gary, maybe you can suggest a place?

John, just saw your post, maybe we can get together Friday afternoon and ride some, then meet you for dinner?

Trying to decide just when I'm going to head over. Bike week is from March 4-13th this year. I've got to plan ahead as I've got some new responsibilities at home. Hoping to meet up with a few of you fellers. Any suggestions?

Gary

darksider #44

I will be riding the "Plane Crazy BBG" out of Jacksonville with another forum member and doing the Jax. dinner with the wife. I will watch this thread

and maybe we can arrange a reception ride to eat for you. When you plan the specifics on you ride post em up.
What's the Jax dinner during bike week if you don't mind me asking.

What about a Friday afternoon ride, I did the loop last year that sunrider mentioned and it was nice. We can plan the time so that we get back to destination Daytona in time to meet big John for dinner.

I've been offered a room nearby to BW, so I'll be watching the weather and this thread.

I plan to blast down Wednesday afternoon 3/9 and get there around midday Thursday 3/10. So, after getting some sleep Thursday afternoon, I'll be out and about on Friday. I'll look for you all at Houligans on Friday night for dinner. This all assumes there's no sleet or other nasty stuff up here in Ohio on Wednesday to muck things up! If it's like past warm winters, I just need a three hour launch window to get far enough south to reach escape latitude.

Amen on that. Last year weather was nice until 2 days before and there was an ice storm. I was going to leave Chicago and stop by my dad's place in Nashville for the night. I ended up having to delay 24 hours. But that next day we went for it.

I have a long driveway and it was completely ice covered. I literally chopped out a 24 inch wide path the night before and left the next morning barely able to balance with my feet on the ice.

The neighbors looked at me like I was insane.

But, by southern Illinois we were good to go. Made it to Chattanooga TN that day.

Had 2 weeks of sun with no rain whatsoever. When we returned it was 68.

Adventures always suck while you're having them.

Great times.