Cycle Gear is buying RevZilla...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love Revzilla, Cycle Gear not so much. The store in Indy has most of their space full of their low quality entry level gear instead of the good stuff which is all Revzilla sells.

I like CycleGear for certain stuff. They have a decent return policy and their customer service is pretty good, but their Bilt gear isn't great. Good entry level stuff.

I have bought Torumaster stuff there and gotten other good brand gear. IF they keep Revzilla's selection, and simply add their's, that will be good. If they make it a Bilt/Sedici warehouse, that will suck balls.

$100 million on sales and the Revzilla guys are selling? CG must be making a HUGE offer. Hopefully they don't screw it up. No way they would buy Revzilla just to eliminate a competitor, right?

That's like Harbor Freight buying Snap On Tools. Shit.
This is a pretty good summary for me.

I have bought a lot of stuff from Cycle Gear over the years, and they offer lifetime warranties on much of it. I just received replacement Sedici Gloves after wearing a hole in mine after 4 years. I have also purchased a Shoei helmet and Alpinestar boots through Cycle Gear. Cycle gear is not evil, but I hope they keep the quality and great reviews Revzilla is known for, and that both become better, rather than just a cheapening of Revzilla.

I've ordered many items from Revzilla, always in stock and fast delivery...no complaints ever. Echoing others, sure hope CG doesn't screw up a good thing.

--G

Used Cycle Gear near my house for years, especially for tire changes, since I don't have space for my own No Mar; up until the beginning of this year, that is. I've always purchased my tires online for best price and paid the extra $ to have them mounted there. They went from $35 a tire (wheel off the bike) to $40 the last couple of years. The beginning of this year they were going to $50. WTF! I told my good tire changing buddy, John, he was out of his f'in mind. I won't be frequenting their store anymore. Agree with others that comparing product quality to RevZ is definitely like apples to oranges.

The problem we have up here in the Great White North is that the few shops that stock riding gear tend to stock only the cheap gear. This makes it difficult to fry quality gear on for fit.

Most shops can order whatever you want but if it don't fit at can be a hassle to return it. Fortunately I live close to GP Bikes and they do stock a lot of quality gear. The problem with GPBikes is they also stock KTM and Ducati and my willpower is softening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will continue buy from my local bike accessories store to help keep them viable. They carry First Gear, Tourmaster, River Road, Shoei, Arai, most of the major tire brands, do oil changes, minor mechanical stuff etc. Better to pay a couple of bucks extra and be able to try the stuff on to see if you like it, it fits etc. Cycle Gear just doesn't do it for me. I was real excited about if opening here and was totally underwhelmed by the actual storefront operation.

If this happens, and I hope it doesn't, a bright side might be more gear choices at their (Cycle Gear) stores. However, I think prices would go up and customer go down because of the last sentence in the above article "Cycle Gear is owned by private equity investor JW Childs.". My experience with equity firm ownerships, is that they suck.

Yeah, sounds a little negative, but who knows? I don't think Cycle Gear with mess with Revzilla's winning business plan. Maybe Cycle Gear will add some more quality motorcycle gear and accessories to their retail stores. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this plays out.

Just an fyi, CG can order in almost any item. They will usually price match too.

This purchase will give them quicker access to higher end gear and an established successful online business. Agreed that as long as they do not change Revzilla, this should be a win for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lower quality gear place bought the higher quality gear place. The people who run the lower quality gear place will now make the decisions for all.

Doesn't sound like a win.

The thing I like best about RZ is the very thorough product reviews they do with their videos. Didn't realize that Anthony was a founder/owner, but his vids seem complete and unbiased. He even points out any drawbacks in the product, though the tone seems always to be positive. I'd sure like the same kind of reviews to continue "under new management." I share most of the concerns expressed here, though. Hate to lose one of the good choices.

I agree with all above sentiments. I really liked Revzilla. Anthony is a great merchant and a frequent poster at ADVriders, sharing info and collecting feedback. He is tapped into both the mainstream and fringe riders and understands the value of good gear

Cyclegear is just a Chinese crap / clone peddler with too many house brands.

Sorry to hear about the demise of RZ. I hope that Anthony and his partners got what they needed out of the deal.

I will not likely be shopping at Cycle Gear anytime soon, even though they are the only online merchant with a presence nearby. Well, except for WhiteHorse Gear in Conway, NH and I already throw them too much business. .

I can see this playing out almost like a Walmart situation. The big guy coming in and taking out all of the smaller competitors until you have no choice left but to deal with them.

I have a Cycle Gear location less than 20 minutes from my home and I have bought a few things from them. The price matching policy allowed me to get my Shoei Neotech helmet there at a good price. In my experience though I feel the store is too crowded with too little open space between racks of clothing. Most of what is displayed or in stock is the cheaper quality Bilt or Sedici gear. I've tried some of their gloves and returned every pair within the first week or two when they just didn't live up to what the sales staff led me to believe. Not warm enough for the bulk of the glove. Not as comfortable as expected on even a relatively short ride.

Revzilla store front in Philadelphia is about a 2-1/2 hour ride from me and I've been there once. Incredible place with an open airy feel that still housed a surprising amount of inventory. Most riding boots I've ever seen in one location. Jackets, pants, gloves, and helmets galore from entry level grades through top of the line I can't afford on my budget.I bought my TCX boots there after watching the online reviews and reading the reviews on here from forum members. Walked around the store wearing them for a while and then the salesman asked what bike I was on. After telling him he pointed out a bike on display in their showroom and suggested I sit on it to try the feel on a bike without leaving the store wearing them. I came to learn this was the reason for the several different styles of bikes on stands in the store. You could try on gear and sit on the closest style bike to what you ride. This allows customers to make sure they'll be comfortable without the risk of shoplifting when someone leaves the building wearing gear that's not paid for yet or having to return something you realize you don't really like.I love Revzilla and have bought more items online since my trip to their store last year.

I hope my fears turn out to be unfounded, We don't need another WalMart.

"I'm from corporate and I'm here to help you .... "

"We are going to help you to increase profits via several efficiency initiatives ... "

"Were not going to change anything ... Meet "Joe" here though ... He is from corporate accounting and is going to work with your accounting folks to manage the integration of the teams... Its going to be great !!!, We have profit sharing !!!"

Enough said ...