Will the OEM Trunk Mounting Bracket work with an OEM Gen3 Trunk

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce1300

Reaction score
I have an OEM mounting bracket for an OEM Gen 1 Rear Trunk. Can this mounting assembly be used for a Gen 3 OEM Rear Trunk? Are all the OEM Rear Trunks the same in how they fit the mounting assembly?

I ask this question because I have a good Gen 1 mounting assembly and trunk and am considering buying a Gen 3 without the OEM trunk. If I could use the Gen 1 assembly mounting hardware, I could transfer the the complete system to the Gen 3 and repaint the trunk for a color match which would be much cheaper than buying a new mounting system and trunk. I really like the style of the Gen 1 trunk and how it looks on the FJR but would not want to spend about $1,000 for a complete new OEM system.

Thanks,

Bruce in Kingsport TN

I believe the mounting bracket hole locations are different.

GEN 2 mount will fit GEN 3 but a GEN 1 mount won't fit either GEN 2 or GEN 3.

All boxes will fit all OEM mounts, just buy the GEN 3 mount and reuse your Top Box.

Please consider this, the newer top boxes after approx. 2010 have been fitted with a stainless steel bottom reinforcement.

There is or was a retrofit kit which was available for the older top boxes without.

Yamaha was having report of top boxes falling off and this was there fix.