Heated Gear

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K Rider

Reaction score
I know heated gear has been discussed many times before but I recently purchased a used Gerbing's jacket liner (older model, the ones that were made in the USA). Could anyone tell me how many watts this jacket is?

I have also added heated gloves and would like to get her heated socks and possibly heated pants liner. I have a pair of heated gloves for myself also and didn't want to have too much draw on the charging system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Might be 90 watts...... but you can run all you list, no sweat. A lot depends on what other electrical accessories you have (aux. lights, etc.). Why not install a voltmeter where you can monitor if you like.

I am considering installing a voltmeter. Haven't had a chance to research them yet. Any recommendations?

Just Krusen I have it plugged into a powerlet outlet which has a 15 amp fuse. Was thinking about installing the two that mount by the seat lock. It's either that or wiring directly to the battery.

Any simple volt meter will do. You do not need something extremely accurate for this application. I got a nice lcd that tested almost as accurate as my fluke dvm for about $10 on amazon. As Long as it will read tenths or hundredths of a volt your fine.

You cal also buy the $50 "waterproof" ones. But one just did the cheap one and installed it in my tank bag under the clear plastic.

Works perfectly.

Any simple volt meter will do. You do not need something extremely accurate for this application. I got a nice lcd that tested almost as accurate as my fluke dvm for about $10 on amazon. As Long as it will read tenths or hundredths of a volt your fine. You cal also buy the $50 "waterproof" ones. But one just did the cheap one and installed it in my tank bag under the clear plastic.

Works perfectly.
Do you have the meter so it's removable, since it's installed in your tank bag?

Plug this in to your battery tender lead........... $15https://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Tender-Quick-Disconnect-Plug-With-LCD-Voltage-Display-Monitor-081-0157-/321999063896?hash=item4af8a3cb58:m:mQFCWcJ-yovz0hk5u-DSaFQ
Now that's looking pretty good to me. Easy!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="K Rider" data-cid="1287481" data-time="1454895050"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="MrZappo" data-cid="1287479" data-time="1454894441"><p><br />

Any simple volt meter will do. You do not need something extremely accurate for this application. I got a nice lcd that tested almost as accurate as my fluke dvm for about $10 on amazon. As Long as it will read tenths or hundredths of a volt your fine. <br />

You cal also buy the $50 "waterproof" ones. But one just did the cheap one and installed it in my tank bag under the clear plastic. <br />

Works perfectly.</p></blockquote>

Do you have the meter so it's removable, since it's installed in your tank bag?</p></blockquote>

Yes, it is part of the tank bag. In my case, I really only worry about monitoring voltage on longer rides. And, on any longer ride I will always have my tank bag. That was my logic anyways.

I could have installed it in numerous ways. I didn't want to cut into the bike so the bag installation met my needs.

I have on of these and find it very effective. I don't need to know exactly what the voltage is, just if it is good or not.

FWIW, I've never used heated socks or pant liners nor found them needed down into the low 20's. Keep your core toasty with the jacket and hands warm with grips/hippo hands or heated gloves and being cold isn't a problem.

Save your extra watts for lights and other goodies you didn't know you needed!

--G

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="escapefjrtist" data-cid="1287506" data-time="1454905039"><p>

FWIW, I've never used heated socks or pant liners nor found them needed down into the low 20's. Keep your core toasty with the jacket and hands warm with grips/hippo hands or heated gloves and being cold isn't a problem.<br />

<br />

Save your extra watts for lights and other goodies you didn't know you needed!<br />

<br />

--G</p></blockquote>

That sounds great but the heated pants and socks aren't for me. Must keep the wife happy!

That sounds great but the heated pants and socks aren't for me. Must keep the wife happy!
Ohhhhh, that's entirely another matter! All of us have to keep SWMBO happy!!
--G
Finally the real truth comes out!
help.gif

Well, since you are planning for a happy pillon, you need to figure on how you are going to power the Keurig, Hair Dryer, and Hot Tub. Probably gonna need a Bushtec with a bank of batteries and a few inverters.

In all seriousness, good on you for making her the most comfortable you can.

I have on of these and find it very effective. I don't need to know exactly what the voltage is, just if it is good or not.
Keep in mind:

Battery_charge_state.jpg

And notice that this happens primarily over a 0.5 volt span. If the FJR charging system drops below 12.8 volts the stator will be getting hotter that preferred. The Gen II stator will be putting out ~590 watts all the time and is made to operate from roughly 13.2 volts to 14.5 volts. The stator will be getting hotter and hotter as battery voltage drops below 12.8 volts which may be more significant than battery state of charge.

Absolutely use that chart....... I have a Datel (or Add-On) voltmeter, and running two sets of heated gear will most likely draw the voltage down below 12.6-12.7 (full charge). Now you're using battery to power your stuff and the stator may not be keeping up. When you get home, plug in to a Battery Tender to bring it all back.........

To conserve battery power, when running under 12.6V, you can turn off accessories or dial your heated gear PWM controllers down a bit.

Another voltage monitor......... LED style ~$25-30.

https://www.signaldynamics.com/new-category/