Canadians! Extended warranty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boooya

Reaction score
My Bike is coming up on a year soon and I have the option to buy the extended warranty "YPP"
Its crazy expensive just wondering what you guys have paid and wear you bought it.
Dealer i got the bike from is telling me
48 month $1400
then i have the option to add another 24 months for $650.
So basically 6 years for $2050, im assuming they charge tax on this as well?
With the ES model that rear shock alone might cover the cost of the warranty so thats what im thinking....
Ive also found a YES warranty on ebay for $600 (48 months) and other places, not sure what thats all about but its considerably cheaper and seams to be legit.
Any difference Between the YPP (Yamaha Protection Plus) and the YES (Yamaha Extended Service)?
I'm assuming the Yes purchased in the US would not be valid in Canada.
FYI bike is stock besides some cosmetics and I plan on keeping it that way.

The YES for US can be had cheaper, but only for the US folks. I wouldn't pay for the Canadian YPP. Way too much. If you hang in there, I'm sure there will be an aftermarket rebuilder for ES shocks...... Take your $2050 plus tax and invest it, you'll do OK and have the money for a new shock if you ever need it.

I'm not concerned only about the shock its more the electronics and servos behind it. its the computers and dash, windshield motor etc.

Way to many electronics on this bike for me to be comfortably with.

Im thinking now, 90% of my riding is south of the boarder. if I have the YPP and the bike breaks down in Tennessee will they honer the warranty down there?

Typical the bike won't leave you stuck. Not saying impossible but as Ray said..... save your money! My2004 FJR has 275,000 klicks and it had one hiccup on the road. That was in 2010, 6 years after owning it from new.

Typical the bike won't leave you stuck. Not saying impossible but as Ray said..... save your money! My2004 FJR has 275,000 klicks and it had one hiccup on the road. That was in 2010, 6 years after owning it from new.
Ya, I remember that one :D

Further to the topic. My dealer offered me the Yammie warranty at the price you quoted, and an aftermarket dealie as well for about $800. The kicker with this one is that you have no claims at the end of it, you can get a portion of that $800 back. Non-transferable as well.

Smelled to good to be true (and still to damn expensive) so I passed on it.

Regardless of what could go wrong, the odds are small. Invest the $2000+ and it will be sitting there to fix anything out of the one year warranty. It would take a few things added up to burn up all that cash, although the report of two LCD's on the same bike going bad kinda disturbs me, those are going to be $1000 here. Hopefully, WE don't have to buy one. Do all the mechanical stuff yourself or come to a tech day. I'm excluding the shock itself, 'cuz I think it can be rebuilt. Ride more, worry less.

Last edited by a moderator:
I passed on the extended warranty.... Odds are that you won't be using the warranty. Yamaha offers it because they are not losing money down the road. Not too many failed shocks in 6 years.... other than seals and seals don't cost 2 grand.

My dealer told me I could buy the extended warranty before then end of the 1-yr base coverage for $1000. I assume this is plus tx, so $1150. I have until August to decide, but I've already made up my mind. I chose this bike over the C14 for its reliability and also because there are less electronic gadgets on the FJR. I don't expect any serious issues.

So got some fun news today.

Apparently my warranty ran out on July 2015.

How can this be I purchased in March of 2015????

My dealer refuses to answer any of my questions and the sales guy I dealt with will not return my calls ors emails.

So I called Yamaha Canada to find out whats going on. Apparently they registered the bike when they got it so they could cash in on the intensives that Yamaha was giving at the time. So yea thy basically screwed me out of a year of warranty.

Guy on the other end of the line at Yamaha said that sometime shady dealers do that and they will be looking into it.

I may just get a deal on the extended warranty im thinking, im not letting this get away.....

If you purchased in Mar 2015, wouldn't you only have another month anyway? I agree it's a douche maneuver by the dealer but unless you need warranty work right now and Yamaha won't pick it up, I don't see how you lost anything?

If you purchased in Mar 2015, wouldn't you only have another month anyway? I agree it's a douche maneuver by the dealer but unless you need warranty work right now and Yamaha won't pick it up, I don't see how you lost anything?
Yes but now I do not have the option to purchase the extended.

And basically I rode all year thinking I had warranty when they sold me a brand new bike with 4 months warranty.

From what I thought it would end this march and give me the opportunity to purchase the YPP

Ahh...I get it. It really doesn't cost Yamaha anything to step up at this point and sell you the YPP extended warranty.

If Yamaha will approve it, call every dealer in ON and ask them all to quote you for it - you'll be surprised the range of prices that will come back. And of course, if you do buy it, don't get it from the original dealer!

My $0.02 is that there is a reason why dealers make 50% commission on extended warranties - but I have to admit being biased. I have yet to find a MC dealer that does work to my satisfaction, so I'd rather do it myself. There are some good independents out there but the factory extended warranties generally won't allow you to use them. Yes, I am OCD about these things....

I'm an auto tech by trade.

I have no issues working on the bike, I actually run small buisness from home working on bikes, atvs and sleds.

But parts are expensive on this girl and if I can have 6 years warranty for just over $300 a year I think it's worth it.

I'm not buying a warranty I'm buying piece of mind.

With this dealer situation I'm going after them covering the cost of the warranty or OMVIC will be all over this and I will be all over Yamaha Canada.

Basically what they did is fraud against yamaha and illegal against me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So got some fun news today.

Apparently my warranty ran out on July 2015.

How can this be I purchased in March of 2015????

My dealer refuses to answer any of my questions and the sales guy I dealt with will not return my calls ors emails.

So I called Yamaha Canada to find out whats going on. Apparently they registered the bike when they got it so they could cash in on the intensives that Yamaha was giving at the time. So yea thy basically screwed me out of a year of warranty.

Guy on the other end of the line at Yamaha said that sometime shady dealers do that and they will be looking into it.

I may just get a deal on the extended warranty im thinking, im not letting this get away.....

I'm an auto tech by trade.

I have no issues working on the bike, I actually run small buisness from home working on bikes, atvs and sleds.

But parts are expensive on this girl and if I can have 6 years warranty for just over $300 a year I think it's worth it.

I'm not buying a warranty I'm buying piece of mind.

With this dealer situation I'm going after them covering the cost of the warranty or OMVIC will be all over this and I will be all over Yamaha Canada.

Basically what they did is fraud against yamaha and illegal against me.
I just bought a new 2014A so (after reading your story) I called Yamaha USA and ran my VIN. My dealer has correctly notified them of the sale but has yet to "activate" my warranty. Yamaha lady says that requires further paperwork and it is not unusual for it to come in later (up to 3 weeks later) and not to worry at all about this.

As far as your case goes you should simply take your dealer to small claims court (fairly easy to do in the USA ... not sure about Canada) and sue for the damages (make it reasonable but ask a lawyer). I could not imagine a judge not giving you reasonable compensation for the obvious fraud. There ought to be a reasonable amount of monetary damages you can file for.