Anyone have their windshield fall off?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeames

Reaction score
I see that the windshields are held on by "plastic" screws (at least on my 2012). I am making the assumption that this is so that the windshield will break off the screws in the event that the bike hits something and the rider is propelled through the windshield.

Just curious if anyone has ever had their stock windshield screws break during normal use? Seems like a lot of pressure on the windshield and those relatively small screws.....

I see that the windshields are held on by "plastic" screws (at least on my 2012). I am making the assumption that this is so that the windshield will break off the screws in the event that the bike hits something and the rider is propelled through the windshield.Just curious if anyone has ever had their stock windshield screws break during normal use? Seems like a lot of pressure on the windshield and those relatively small screws.....
Simple answer: not without help, even with those who fit barn doors screens.
I've had one detach during a low-side, actually prevented the screen itself from being significantly damaged.

Just don't over-tighten the screws.

This one has got to be NEPRT bound so...

I was actually killed when my windshield detached during a high speed run. I was doing a little over 200 mph at the time. I was able to achieve these speeds due to the fact that I ran synthetic oil, aftermarket exhaust, and a 190/50 rear tire.

Not really. But Yamaha has been running these plastic screws for a long time now. If there were an issue, Yamaha would have addressed it by now. Do not over tighten the screws.

At a NERDS event an attendee played dominoes at the front door of the hotel where we all had our FJRs neatly lined up side by side. As a result I donated a few screws out of my windshield to help in windshield reattachment for the unfortunate FJRs in the accident. I rode the rest of the event, rode a couple hundred miles home and rode on the highways in excess of 55 mph and never had a problem with my windshield. I rode missing windshield screws for a while 'cause I kept forgetting to replace them and never had an issue even short a few screws.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair question Mike.

I found those plastic screws had loosened on two of the three FJRs I was hauling from GA to WY on an open trailer.

Had to snug the screws in a rest area along the way.

I imagine that increased buffeting hastened the process of the windscreens getting loose,

but nevertheless, it is worth checking.

Cruising 80 mph interstates with semis and traffic in big headwinds has had me in situations where I really couldn't believe those nylon screws would hold--but they do. I've experienced some extreme buffeting from truck vortexes etc. where the touring windshield I used to have looked like it was in a paint shaker. Not a good feeling...

Subject pretty well addressed. You may want to purchase a few extra plastic screws and carry them with your bike in the event you need to replace a broken one(s).

Fair question Mike.I found those plastic screws had loosened on two of the three FJRs I was hauling from GA to WY on an open trailer.

Had to snug the screws in a rest area along the way.

I imagine that increased buffeting hastened the process of the windscreens getting loose,

but nevertheless, it is worth checking.
Yeah, no problem with my first replacement windshield but with the 2nd replacement I had to snug them up twice. I think it was prolly my caution to not over-tighten them more then anything else.

The only time I've ever broken any of the screws is when I bounced something off the windshield.

I had a windshield come off when I hit it on my way over the cowling of my SnoGo. Ran off a crevasse in the Alaska Range and speared my machine into the oposite wall of the crevasse. Luckily, the windshield came off and I flew over the wall onto the opposite side. Of course, SnoGo windshields are normally held on with large rubber bands, so this story is completely irrelevant to the OPs question, but hey, I feel better.

This past Sunday, I was heading home from a weekend of BMR bonus hunting. Girlfriend said hurry, so I was traveling well in excess of the 70 mph speed limit with lots of gusty crosswinds. Windshield was bouncing and dancing, but no rattles and nothing got loosened.

Ride yours really hard, and let us know what you find out.

Have been doing western outback nominal against a 50 mph head wind and never had a problem. The next day was slower (only the posted limit) with that same front hitting me as a side-wind with big gusts. Still no problem. Snapped a screw head off when using an electric screw driver and not stopping soon enough. All on me.

Fresh screws go on regularly here, they dry out and I probably cinch them tighter than normal. When one snaps it head, they all get replenished.

Awesome, thank you to all who had something constructive to say.

Would have been nice if whoever moved my post would have let me know so I wouldn't have started another thread....

Awesome, thank you to all who had something constructive to say.
Great to hear!

Would have been nice if whoever moved my post would have let me know so I wouldn't have started another thread....
That was me. You're no stranger to having threads moved to NEPRT in the past and seemed to find at least one after it was moved just fine. Regardless, you were also patiently reminded where you could find your stuff here.

Perhaps rereading a few of these helpful newbie resources (or here or here) you were suggested when you signed would help your forum experience. This forum is different than others.

This forum is different than others.

Ya got that right. I found that we are extremely tolerant compared to the Les Paul forum. There was a political thread there and when an admin said something when republicans and democrats were mentioned (in a 2 page on-going thread), all I did was point out that the whole thread was political (not in a belligerent way). More like something "isn't this whole thread political?". MAYBE I pointed out that their use of "partisan" was an adjective...

Two WEEK time out without any PMs or any "ramping up" like we do here. They called it a "two-week ban" and said my above question was "harassing the admins".

After that, I'll laugh in the face of anyone who bitches about the kid gloves process we use here.

Status
Not open for further replies.