Need new boots.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new pair of boots. Since this is something that I will be wearing all day while riding and comfort matters I am not going to skimp and get something cheap. I have narrowed it down to two pair. The Dainese Fulcrum C2 Gore-Tex and the Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex boots. I went to my local Cycle Gear last night to try them on and they didn't have either. They said they could order them but they didn't stock them because they were too high end (whats up with that?). I'm leaning a little toward the Dainese. I tried on some cheaper (different model) Dainese and Alpinestars and liked the way the Alpinestars fit a little more. Can I expect these boots to fit the same way as a cheaper model boot? Do any of you guys have any experience with these boots?

Thanks.

I always go here for fitment info:

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/alpinestars/web_gore_tex_boots_2015.html

It seems like A-stars are consistent between different models. I think your main concern is if you have an overly wide or narrow foot - some manufacturers work better for wider feet while some run pretty narrow.

I have been using A-star SMX-5 for many years and they're great for my borderline wide foot. I recently tried on the short SMX-1 in the same size and it fits great.

Here's a vid review on the other - might have some sizing info: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-fulcrum-c2-gore-tex-boots

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Alpine Stars Web Gore-Tex. They are a decent boot, nothing real special. I think I paid like $179 at Cycle Gear in Mesa about 7 years ago. The soles wore out after about four years (the tread blocks are hollow!?) but I sent them in and they replaced the soles for free. They are water resistant and indeed waterproof...for a couple of hours. I have a wide "D" foot and they fit pretty well and are fairly light and comfortable to walk around in. I got them just a little on the large side for wearing heavy wool socks when it's cold. They will stretch over time, maybe a .25-.5 in size. They go on and come off fairly easily, riding pants go over them okay. One stitched seam on the side is now letting go. Probably have ridden 70-80K miles in these, crashed lightly at a track day and at about 20-25 mph in gravel and they did the job though aren't really armored. I recently found another pair of the exact same thing, same size, like new on CL and paid $75...worth it. I'd rate this boot a 6 or 7 on a scale of 0-10.

Ok, I think I just added TCX to the mix. Thanks...

https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/boots/waterproof_sport_street_touring_boots/tcx/x_five_evo_gore_tex_boots_2015.htmlAnother alternative...... I shy away from Alpinestars 'cuz the soles get less grippy after a few months. The Dainese look good.
Although, Now I think I'm leaning toward the TCX Airtech EVO. Most of my riding is in the spring, summer, and fall with very little riding in the winter (if the temp get up to mid 40's I'll get out some. I'm just a little worried that if I ride all day in these with the temp in the 40's-50's my feet will get cold. Being from the deep south I can tolerate the heat a little better than the cold.

I've been using the TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex for awhile now and absolutely love them. Very comfortable and have never gotten wet in them although I have sprayed them with Camp Dry once or twice. I have warm feet so went with the Air Techs and have worn them year round including on several very cold rides needing nothing more than an extra pair of socks - maybe. Soles/threads have held up fine and I can wear them all day and night if need be. Only issue that's developed is that the left toe has only recently started to collapse, maybe from the shifter?, causing it to slightly rub on my big toe. Almost feels like I could pop it back up but seeing as they're already several years old I can't complain. When the time comes I'll definitely replace them with the newer Airtech EVOs although I noticed Air Techs are on closeout for over a hundred bucks cheaper (if you can find your size).

Alpinestar Gore-Tex since 2010 when it rains, same boot without the GoreTex when it isn't raining. Wore these during the day at work for about 4 years. Comfortable, never had a problem with wet feet or hot feet. Good traction, so far the soles haven't worn out and still have pretty good grip. Crashed once and had no injuries to feet or lower leg. I'd buy them again if I was looking for new boots.

I'll put a plug in for Sidi. I've had my Sidi Tour Gore-Tex boots over 3 years now, and still LOVE them. My feet have never gotten wet, even on an 11 day trip that rained every day. I've ridden in 24 degrees for hours, and only when I moved my toes to the top of the boot, would they feel the cold. Comfortable to walk around in, and a subdued look means being able to wear them in jeans.

I'm certain they're not the only good boots, but when these ever get wore out, I'm getting another pair.

Another TCX X-Five fan. GoreTex is expensive, but worth every penny. And you can get some of these Air Techs at discount close out prices. They are the real deal.

I have the TCX - X-Five. I can tolerate heat better than cold in my feet.
I guess I assume you like them??? is there anything you don't like about them?
I like em. I'll buy another pair when I need another pair.
How do you guys like these boots in the summer? Does the Gore-Tex breathe enough so your feet don't get uncomfortably hot and stinky?

I've had the Fulcrums for about 2 years now and absolutely love them. The are comfortable, waterproof (GoreTex) and comfortable to walk resonable distances with. I haven't had to test their protective qualities, but I have no reason to think the wouldn't be good.

Another TCX X-Five fan. GoreTex is expensive, but worth every penny. And you can get some of these Air Techs at discount close out prices. They are the real deal.

I have the TCX - X-Five. I can tolerate heat better than cold in my feet.
I guess I assume you like them??? is there anything you don't like about them?
I like em. I'll buy another pair when I need another pair.
How do you guys like these boots in the summer? Does the Gore-Tex breathe enough so your feet don't get uncomfortably hot and stinky?
Rode in summers "out west" where the official temps were 110+ and they were better than sneakers would be inches above the pavement. Sneakers would have been like in a blast furnace.

Plus, because they don't have wild graphics, I've worn them to work and walked in them all day without issue.

I have the dainese. Very very confortable and I had the opportunity to test the waterproof feature, it works amazingly well. I have some alpinestars with their drystar feature and it can't be compared to goretex (very breathable)