Do the plastic screws that hold the windshield on ever break during normal use?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeames

Reaction score
Do the plastic screws that hold the windshield on ever break during normal use?

I am assuming they are plastic to allow the windshield to shear them off in the event that you hit something and end up traveling over the bars and through the windshield.

The windshields bounce around quite a bit in the wind. Makes me wonder if anyone has even had those screws break during normal use??

I'm thinking I may want to carry some spares if they are prone to breaking.

Did you not just post this under another title?

I am guessing you do not realize that your original thread is now in NEPRT. Your answers are there along with some sarcasm. And if you searched a bit you would certainly find this same topic covered in past threads.

Not trying to give you a hard time here, but I think with a bit of searching you would find both more information and more happiness.

Yup...Exact same question about the exact same thing. A thing that could have been searched, and in reality, a thing with an obvious answer.

Yes, the windshields break off every other day. That's why Yamaha has continued to use the same screws since 2002. What do you think?

I never had one break, but I do carry spares just in case. On several occasions I have helped out fellow FJR owners by providing a few of the plastic screws when they were needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Easily stripped, and loosen up when buffeted a lot at unmentionable speeds along 14 in the gorge.

Yup posted twice because I couldn't find the first post when I looked for it today since someone has obviously moved it without bothering to let me know.

Like most forums this one has a ton of great people and is often be a great source of advice and experience. To those who responded accordingly, thank you for opinions and experiences.

Then there's the guys who have nothing better to do than bitch because in their opinion someone posted a question that's been asked too many times, or some other chicken-shit reason. I would think someone like that who's time is so infinitely valuable (to them and them alone) would simply troll along and not bother burning any of their oh so valuable keystrokes with an answer. Maybe they just like to hear or in this case see themselves talk...or is it type...probably get some bitching about that too. I usually don't even bother wasting my time with such folks, but this sight seems to have a larger than normal number of trolls. So now you have my two cents. There's a big middle finger that comes right along with that, it's a hell of a bargain.

BTW a search for "plastic windshield screws" returns several pages of hits. In the first three only one mentioned in the title anything about a windshield falling off and that was with a brand new bike. A search for "windshield fell off" also produced a number of pages the first two of which produced nothing that would lead one to look any further.

Again thank you to all who posted something constructive. This forum really is an awesome resource.

I think I might pick up some screws just in case...

Well, you have your opinion and I have mine. Noobs who don't understand NEPRT (despite being asked to read the FNG material) deserve some sarcasm and derision -- especially if they bitch about it. What's really dumb is that you searched and FOUND NO REPORTS OF WINDSHIELDS FALLING OFF [except in a title (?) and that was on a new bike?] AND YET YOU STILL POSTED.

Have you checked on whether the bags fall off? (They do.) Have you asked if the fairing falls off? It's held in place by plastic connectors. (It doesn't.)

Why not wonder about other dangerous aspects of the FJR: cruise control that allows you to go to sleep; dark paint colors that reduce visibility to other drivers; no seat belt or air bag; no theft alarm; NO TRAINING WHEELS!!!

Yamaha's been making FJRs for a long time. They've just about polished it to perfection.

My opinion? Re-read your post, correct your spelling and attitude, and put stainless steel screws in your windshield despite the tens of thousands of units operating worldwide with plastic fasteners. Let us know how it works out.

My windshield screws sheared off in a light wind and severed my arms at the elbows.
I tried to reply earlier in the thread which would have avoided all of this unpleasantness but it took this long to craft this response typing with my nose.

Hard to work the mouse as well.
That's funny...

Your nose? You use your nose? My arms were paralyzed when my windshield cut my head off. I have to use my... And it is so large that it covers too many keys at once.
weirdsmiley.gif

Yup posted twice because I couldn't find the first post when I looked for it today since someone has obviously moved it without bothering to let me know.Like most forums this one has a ton of great people and is often be a great source of advice and experience. To those who responded accordingly, thank you for opinions and experiences.

Then there's the guys who have nothing better to do than bitch because in their opinion someone posted a question that's been asked too many times, or some other chicken-shit reason. I would think someone like that who's time is so infinitely valuable (to them and them alone) would simply troll along and not bother burning any of their oh so valuable keystrokes with an answer. Maybe they just like to hear or in this case see themselves talk...or is it type...probably get some bitching about that too. I usually don't even bother wasting my time with such folks, but this sight seems to have a larger than normal number of trolls. So now you have my two cents. There's a big middle finger that comes right along with that, it's a hell of a bargain.

BTW a search for "plastic windshield screws" returns several pages of hits. In the first three only one mentioned in the title anything about a windshield falling off and that was with a brand new bike. A search for "windshield fell off" also produced a number of pages the first two of which produced nothing that would lead one to look any further.

Again thank you to all who posted something constructive. This forum really is an awesome resource.

I think I might pick up some screws just in case...
This thread is locked.

Use the "view new content" button and it will show any new replies regardless of where they are.

Alternately, you could go to your profile and click on the button that shows the posts you've made.

To make it easier this time:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/166724-anyone-have-their-windshield-fall-off/

Status
Not open for further replies.