Fork compression valve broken / race tech option?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktmryder

Reaction score
I was servicing my forks and broke off the bottom of the compression valve. I must not have had it bottomed when i tightened it. Is the race tech compression valve come complete with the part the bolt threads into?

Can you post a pic of the damage done? The Race Tech valves do completely replace both stock valves, and if you have munged threads on the bottom of the compression valve, this may be your way out. I'm also happy to mail you one of my '03 compression valves if I still have them (99% sure I do) to minimize the amount of work you have to go through to get back on the road.

When you put the Race Tech valves in, do be aware that their instructions never actually tell you when/where to put the seals on each valve. The little black O-rings are pretty obvious, but the harder seals that need to be wrapped around the other set are a little less so (when you get the valves, it will be more obvious what I'm talking about).

When you put the Race Tech valves in, do be aware that their instructions never actually tell you when/where to put the seals on each valve. The little black O-rings are pretty obvious, but the harder seals that need to be wrapped around the other set are a little less so (when you get the valves, it will be more obvious what I'm talking about).
Those are the seals on the rebound valves? Yes, they are a b*stard to get installed. It won't be an issue for the OP if he only gets the compression valves.

Yes, the seals on the rebound are a mother. I roll them up small before install ( especially the tabs) and use a little grease and smash them down good to hold them in place on install

When installing the rebound valves with the split seal it is difficult to get them into the cartridge past the threaded part of the cartridge at the top.

What works to help the seal past the threaded portion is to make a little tool to allow the valve and seal to slip past the nasty threaded part. What I have used is a thin (soda or beer can) piece of aluminum cut to fit around the valve and into the threaded recess, it works like a piston ring compressor.

You can make it yourself with a pair of scissors, just be sure to smooth all the edges. Make it just big enough to go around the circumference of the threaded part of the cartridge, or one wrap of the seal with no overlap. You can even have a small gap. You can cut the metal so that is has a slightly tapered/funnel shape to ease the installation.

Then with the seal compressor in place covering the threads you slide the valve past the threaded part and remove the aluminum seal compressor/tool and you are done.

Good luck