Capacity of OEM Top Case?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I've been searching for the capacity of the Yamaha top case but haven't found it. Apologies if I've missed it somewhere, by the way.

I know some have recommended the Givi 46 liter case as an alternative since it can hold 2 full face helmets, whereas the OEM case can't.

So is the OEM case 38 liters, 40 liters, 42 liters? Just curious.

Thanks guys.

MG

Oops! Sorry for the post since the info is already out there. Thanks for the link Panman.
smile.png

Can a mod delete this thread then?

The OEM topcase storage is just a little smaller than you need. There.....I said it.
When traveling 100% solo the OEM topcase was more than adequate for me.
I get what you're saying. I also have the OEM topcase and am able to make it work. In the past I've had Givi topcases which gave me much more internal storage for the overall external size of the trunk. That's what I was trying to convey. The OEM trunk is a beauty visually, but lacks functionality. There's no easy way to add external lighting to the OEM trunk and the internal storage is deceiving.

Hey, I'm suffering from PMS. What do you expect?

Last edited by a moderator:
1.38 cu ft = 39 liters
From what I've seen online, it looks like it's 1.83 cu ft. Which is about 50 liters. Or is that the capacity of the new case? I was wondering what the capacity of the OEM top case I have for my 2008. I know I can't get 2 full face helmets in there, so I guess it's the smaller, 1.38 cu ft, case that I have then?

OEM = 39 liters = 1.38 cu ft = typically 1 helmet, odd interior shape reduces utility

anybody = 50 liters = 1.77 cu ft = typically 2 helmets, we fit my XL and pillions M Shoei Air GT in a Givi

1.38 cu ft = 39 liters
From what I've seen online, it looks like it's 1.83 cu ft. Which is about 50 liters. Or is that the capacity of the new case? I was wondering what the capacity of the OEM top case I have for my 2008. I know I can't get 2 full face helmets in there, so I guess it's the smaller, 1.38 cu ft, case that I have then?
Yeah, exactly. The newer (Shad manufactured) accessories case is 50 liters. The original ones (unknown manufacturer, maybe Yamaha) that have been around since early in the 1st Gen run is smaller inside due to the double wall construction, and they are only ~ 39 liters.

Thanks again guys. I appreciate your help. I like the response that the oem case is just a little smaller than what you need, 😄!