Goodbye Arai, Hello Shoei

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LKLD

I miss Don. 😔
Reaction score
After 3+ yrs with my Arai Signet-Q, I've made the switch to the Shoei RF-1200 Beacon.

The Arai fit perfectly, but I've tired of the faceshield changes, which are frustrating at best. Sometimes I would switch them out in 20 seconds, then other times it could be 3 minutes. I never could get consistent. Also, the cheek pads drove me up the wall with their 'wedge it in there' design. Having the snaps in the Shoei makes taking them out for washing a breeze.

An added benefit, I just found out, is the sound coming from my Sena SMH-10. Fu#% me! The volume goes to extremely loud now, as opposed to just audible in my Arai at 70mph. This means no more getting down below my windshield to hear what my wife is saying to me from her bike. I'm really excited about this revelation!

And....being as I'm a hi-viz kinda' guy, the Shoei Beacon looks razor sharp (ymmv). I'm a happy man. :)

https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/LKLD/moto/image.jpg1_zpsumzeemfl.jpg

https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q36/LKLD/moto/image.jpg2_zpspsrkvlgh.jpg

Good looking lid !!

While I understand the benefits of hi-vz gear, I am not quite ready to go "full dork mode" yet. I have a Scorpion R-710 which has a black./ hi-viz pattern, and an Olympia jacket which is also black/hi-viz.

nope.......not ready for solid hi-viz yet.......

Just curious.....without adding the Sena "speaker pillow", how close are the speakers to your ears?

I spent a lot of time helmet shopping the last year or two. I had narrowed it down to the RF1200 and the Signet-Q as well. I decided on the RF1200 because of the quality/features of the shield. The Arai shield was hard to deal with and felt chinsey compared to the Shoei. I've been very happy with the Shoei. Extremely comfortable and very quiet. I've ridden way too many miles in poor lesser quality helmets. I wish someone sat me down 20 years ago and told me to buy the best helmet I could afford.

I have the bright yellow helmet. No issues in riding in full dork mode. Being seen is a big priority for me.

The Shoei fits me pretty good and I think it's a very quiet helmet, which is important to me.

I got solid white - I can't quite go for that Hi-viz pattern....

Congrats, sir.

Nice looking helmets you have there. Have been riding in an Arai RX-Q for awhile and recently added a Shoei Neotec Imminent so I can relate sorta. Have never tried an RF1200 and dont think it would fit my head. Both helmets being pretty premium they do feel good. My Arai is about 2 1/2yrs old already but is it great shape. It feels like a hand crafted helmet. I rarely switch visors so hasn't been a sticking point with me. Just keep a dark smoke one on. The Shoei I'm still getting to know. Cheek pads are a bit snug but figuring they will break in. Haven't gotten around to putting a Sena in it yet. Like you I opted for the Hi-Vis version but the Imminent graphic isn't that super Hi-Vis. I dont usually buy black helmets but with a Hi-Vis pattern its about the only option. See you have several Hi-Vis jackets to go along with your helmets!

How do you like those iridium visors? Didn't know they made gold ones for Arai's and Shoei's. Did you have to order them from Japan? Read something about Shoei not importing visors to the US for some reason.

2015-shoei-neotec-imminent-modular-helmet-black-silver-yellow-mcss.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good looking lid !!
Just curious.....without adding the Sena "speaker pillow", how close are the speakers to your ears?
Right next to them. Instead of putting them in the speaker indents, which fit awkwardly, I put them on top of the pads that cover the speaker indents. I can't feel them.
How do you like those iridium visors? Didn't know they made gold ones for Arai's and Shoei's. Did you have to order them from Japan? Read something about Shoei not importing visors to the US for some reason.

[img=[URL="https://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/2015-shoei-neotec-imminent-modular-helmet-black-silver-yellow-mcss.jpg%5D"]https://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/2015-shoei-neotec-imminent-modular-helmet-black-silver-yellow-mcss.jpg][/URL]
I love the iridium visors! They have them for the states, for both Arai and Shoei , I've gotten mine from Revzilla. You will pay a price for them though...you've been warned. :grin:

I always have liked Shoeis but I generally like Italian helmets more. They just seem to fit better. I have two Nolans now, and liked AGVs. The one helmet I truly hated was, surprisingly an Arai. I found it to be an over-priced, poorly made, and fell apart quickly. Glad when THAT helmet's life was up! The AGV I was wearing when I crashed was sadly retired but I've never been able to throw away the helmet that saved my head. Still have it.

Good looking lid !!
Right next to them. Instead of putting them in the speaker indents, which fit awkwardly, I put them on top of the pads that cover the speaker indents. I can't feel them.

[img=[URL="https://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/2015-shoei-neotec-imminent-modular-helmet-black-silver-yellow-mcss.jpg%5D"]https://images.motorcycle-superstore.com/productimages/300/2015-shoei-neotec-imminent-modular-helmet-black-silver-yellow-mcss.jpg][/URL]
I love the iridium visors! They have them for the states, for both Arai and Shoei , I've gotten mine from Revzilla. You will pay a price for them though...you've been warned.
grin.gif
Thanks I never knew that.
smile.png

I've used RF-1200 for years now but switched to the Shoei GT-Air because of problems getting tinted pinlocks for my year RF-1200. It was almost like they gave up supporting that year's release. I like the GT-Air's built in sunshade which solves multiple issues making me a happy camper.

Good looking helmet. I'm looking for a good price on a Nolan N104 or shoei modular. I scored some gear during the after-holiday pricing but waited too long to buy a new helmet, as prices have rebounded already. I like a white helmet. Wife pushes for bike match (not happening with the '14 red) or black. Haven't decided.

Welcome to the Shoei corner of the forum. You're gonna love the Shoei. Had my Neotec for about 3 years now, still loving it. Expensive, but worth it. However, it's going to make more than just a new helmet to make that mug look a little better
rolleyes.gif

Gary

darksider #44

That's a great looking lid! I've been wearing Shoei for over 30 years. They just seem to fit perferctly. I do, however, usually add thicker cheek pads.

Interesting, the selling point on Arai for me has been the shield change system. With my schedule, it's dark when I ride to work and sunny when I ride home, so two changes a day means I need something fast and easy. Maybe I just have lots of practice but when folks see me do my shield change out there's usually a comment that I am cheating or something. I've never looked elsewhere because of that reason alone, and they fit me well. I do have to admit that I'd like a helmet with a flip down visor though, it's the only easier way.