Givi Luggage plate delema

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flewbye

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to determine what is the better way to go for a top box. I believe I prefer the Givi V47 over the V56 based on what I have read with issues of cracking sub frames.

The other issue is do I go with the SR357 mount or do I go with the SRA2109 & a Stiffy plate? They are both rated for 6 Kg (13.23 lbs) but the SRA2109 does not allow for the assembly of the stop light kit or the remote control device on the case. In my opinion it does look more usefull when top box is not used.

Get the 357, it's amazingly built compared to anything you could put back there. As much as I am a fan of the stiffy kit, it's more of a bandaid than a fix like the 357 is.

Of course, I'm running with both a 357 and a stiffy. Fix a broken subframe once and you don't want to do it again, so you'll do both the bandaid and the 357. You didn't give that option in your vote but that'd be where I put my vote if it were.

I certainly would NOT do the SRA2109 without the stiffy though.

My first friendly suggestion is to do a search.

Second, go with the SR357. If you do that it will not matter which Givi box you go with. That will then be left to your personal preference.

The SR357 as installed on the best year model FJR:

The Givi V47 Tech as installed on the best year model FJR:

My first friendly suggestion is to do a search.
Second, go with the SR357. If you do that it will not matter which Givi box you go with. That will then be left to your personal preference.

The SR357 as installed on the best year model FJR:
IMG_2218_zpsa1fkqg28.jpg

The Givi V47 Tech as installed on the best year model FJR:
IMG_2219_zpsxkpramfp.jpg
I have both...just waiting to go on my new 2016 ES

Thanks guys,

Redfish did the search & found no definitive answer so I posed it directly. gixxerjasen gave good reasoning as to why he preferred the SR357. Redfish It was a photo of your ride that got me looking at the Givi cases, I was going to go with the Yamaha OEM setup. In my opinion if Givy made the SRA2109 with the 357 mount it would be the clear winner in my opinion. I don't care for the appearance of the 357 mount without top box mounted. The SRA2109 looks like it is better suited for use as a rack when not using the luggage.

Does anyone know if the base from the SR357 allows for the top of the SRA2109? Schematics indicate may be possible.

https://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/yamaha/fjr-1300-06-12/sra2109-topcase-mounting-hardware-detail

https://www.giviusa.com/component/virtuemart/sr357-specific-rack-detail?tmpl=component&print=1

... it's more of a bandaid than a fix like the 357 is.
I have to partially disagree with this. They both are bandaids. Look at the pictures and imagine a load of say, 40# is placed on the Givi plate, what supports it? The subframe via the three mounting holes. The SR357 resists torquing of the rear of the subframe that supports the Givi plate, but does minimal to actually support the shear load which must be carried via the cast aluminum subframe. My stiffy kit is also designed to reduce the torque by the overhung load. I believe the combination of torque and repetitive loading cycles just fatigues the subframe and it breaks as shown on other thread photos.

We all like what we like. (I repeat that far too often here) I had the SHAD system on my bike and loved the box, hated the mount. The box sat too far back and too high so it did not "fit" the lines as well as I wanted. With the box removed, the flat plate with the upturned lip in front looked like I had installed the wing from a 1977 Trans Am backwards. It always looked like something was missing. Plus, it was weak. The SHAD mount did nothing for the bike's strength. I was close to ordering Garauld's stiffy kit until we put the Givi SR357 on Pop's bike. The SHAD's days were numbered as soon as I saw the difference in person. The SR357 actually looks much better without the box than the SHAD plate.

You cannot go wrong with anything Garauld makes. If strengthening the subframe with no external evidence of modification is your desire, there is simply no other alternative. If a slick, nicely installed package is your desire, the SR 357 is a wonderful package that is much easier to install.

I had the Shad 42 liter box, and shad mount on my 06, overloaded many times for camping and such. Never had any issues with the subframe with 100k miles on the bike. Maybe I'm just lucky, but i think it may have something to do with the roads yout travel on, as to how long before you have an issue.

... it's more of a bandaid than a fix like the 357 is.
I have to partially disagree with this. They both are bandaids. Look at the pictures and imagine a load of say, 40# is placed on the Givi plate, what supports it? The subframe via the three mounting holes. The SR357 resists torquing of the rear of the subframe that supports the Givi plate, but does minimal to actually support the shear load which must be carried via the cast aluminum subframe. My stiffy kit is also designed to reduce the torque by the overhung load. I believe the combination of torque and repetitive loading cycles just fatigues the subframe and it breaks as shown on other thread photos.
I agree, but, while the stiffy strengthens the subframe but still leaves that plastic bracing in place. While it might have happened, I have yet to see someone who had either the subframe break, or the plastic part break but not both. Seems it's difficult to tell if the plastic breaks first and adds load to the subframe, or if the subframe breaks first and then loads the plastic. In the end the rider does like I did and turns around to find his top box flopping around. On inspection he finds both broken. I still vote for both because it eliminates both problems.

Get the 357, it's amazingly built compared to anything you could put back there. As much as I am a fan of the stiffy kit, it's more of a bandaid than a fix like the 357 is.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement. The SR357 and he Stiffy kit distribute load differently. The stiffly is kind of like a weight distribution hitch, basically stiffing up the while rear assembly. The SR357 uses the the rear mounting points while transferring some of the load forward to the grab handle bosses, the SR357 still uses the rear sub-frame as a stressed member for supporting the rear case. The SR357 This will help prevent sub frame failure but its no more or less an bandaid than the stiffy. The best situation would be both.

I spoke to a tech at Givi this morning and he informed me that he is unaware of any failures with any of the Givi mounts causing stress cracks or breakage on the FJR. He informed me that the SR357 was developed for the european FJR's that did not come from the dealer with side bags and the additional tubing from the SR357 was for mounting of the side bags. He claims that the additional support was only to allow for the side bags. He also said that the stress cracks were caused by Yamahas mount and trunk only. I found this a little tough to believe based on the fact that the Yamaha factory mount the Givi E228 mount and the SRA2109 all only use the 3 bolts in the tail section.

I am only passing this on to confirm his statement, Have any of you had stress cracks or breakage using a Givi mount? I was also informed they will have a new aluminum plate available next month so I will purchase the SR357 for now and see if the plate is what suits me.

The tech also informed me that the SRA2109 plate will mount to the SR357 mount with larger washers underneath because the holes in the 357 mount are larger than the ones in the SRA2109 plate.

I spoke to a tech at Givi this morning and he informed me that he is unaware of any failures with any of the Givi mounts causing stress cracks or breakage on the FJR. He informed me that the SR357 was developed for the european FJR's that did not come from the dealer with side bags and the additional tubing from the SR357 was for mounting of the side bags. He claims that the additional support was only to allow for the side bags. He also said that the stress cracks were caused by Yamahas mount and trunk only. I found this a little tough to believe based on the fact that the Yamaha factory mount the Givi E228 mount and the SRA2109 all only use the 3 bolts in the tail section.I am only passing this on to confirm his statement, Have any of you had stress cracks or breakage using a Givi mount? I was also informed they will have a new aluminum plate available next month so I will purchase the SR357 for now and see if the plate is what suits me.

The tech also informed me that the SRA2109 plate will mount to the SR357 mount with larger washers underneath because the holes in the 357 mount are larger than the ones in the SRA2109 plate.
I would never accuse the Givi mounts of causing sub-frame cracks. I would, however, say that the sub-frame does crack when loaded heavily, beyond the capacity recommended by Yamaha, and the SR357 helps strengthen the sub-frame so it can carry a heavier load without cracking.

I am trying to decide between the Givi V47NNTA & V56NNTA top case. I don't want to overload my bike and create issues with the integrity of the frame (cracks & possible breakage)

I have seen a few of you have gone with the V47 was that because of the possible problem or is the V56 just to big for the FJR?

My thought is to get the larger one in case I need it.

I understand both cases will hold 2 full face helmets but will they both hold an Arai Signet Q & a Shoei Neotec with Sena 20S headsets?

I am looking for help in making a decision.

Just my 02c worth.

I installed the SR357 on the FJR in 2002 (the first farkle) and in the 13 years we used and abused a variety of top cases (V35, V55 and V46) for 78k miles, the sub frame didn't show any signs of cracking.

My vote therefore -- SR357

I am trying to decide between the Givi V47NNTA & V56NNTA top case. I don't want to overload my bike and create issues with the integrity of the frame (cracks & possible breakage)I have seen a few of you have gone with the V47 was that because of the possible problem or is the V56 just to big for the FJR?

I understand both cases will hold 2 full face helmets but will they both hold an Arai Signet Q & a Shoei Neotec with Sena 20S headsets?

I am trying to decide between the Givi V47NNTA & V56NNTA top case. I don't want to overload my bike and create issues with the integrity of the frame (cracks & possible breakage)I have seen a few of you have gone with the V47 was that because of the possible problem or is the V56 just to big for the FJR?

I like the looks of both the V47 & V56 on the Gen 3 bikes. I also feel the the V47 will work just fine for me, as I had the Shad SH42 on my 06, and it worked well for me.

Hey Joe will 2 full face helmets with Sena 20S fit in the V47?
It is supposed to...but I'm not to sure about that. I think it would depend on helmet size. If that is a concern, I think I'd go with the V57. The V47 will just fit my small Nolan N104, and my wife's small HJC CL Max. Both are modular helmets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Joe will 2 full face helmets with Sena 20S fit in the V47?
It is supposed to...but I'm not to sure about that. I think it would depend on helmet size. If that is a concern, I think I'd go with the V57. The V47 will just fit my small Nolan N104, and my wife's small HJC CL Max. Both are modular helmets.
It is worth noting that the outside dimensions of the Nolan N104 are somewhat larger than a conventional full face or even the Shoei Neotec.

I prefer the look of the smaller box. I prefer less sail area of the smaller box when riding in crosswinds. I appreciate the fact that the bigger the storage compartment, the more stuff you will put in it.

I like the V46 on the Gen2 bikes and the V47 on the Gen3 bikes. Just my opinion.