2007 Stumbling on acceleration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msparks

Reaction score
Buddy has a 2007. Rides fine for a while then after some time will stumble on acceleration. He can then ride the bike a ways turn it off then turn it back on and will run fine.

Anyone else experience this?

Mine does this when the enginge is cold (<2 bars on the temp gauge) and only when coming off idle. As previous posts imply, Is this at start-off or at speed?

Let me 'chime in' here (as I know a little about the symptoms) and try to describe what's going on, too. It seems to not run smoothly when accelerating after a moderate distance ride (maybe a half hour to an hour -- but, certainly warmed-up) and during moderate speed acceleration -- getting back up-to-speed.

New '07 and problem noticed early-on. Both bad gas and TPS discussed (TPS having been a known culprit).

Now, short of an answer from MamaYama (they've been called by the dealer's shop) the thinking is a faulty/out-of-spec sensor -- maybe an ambient temp. sensor?

But, no answer yet -- so, advice is welcome....

Has he tried riding with the extra key in the tank, riding untill problem manifests itself, then opening tank up while riding? If the problem goes away check for blocked or partially restricted tank vent. Could be lots of other things, but this is an easy way to eliminate vent as problem.

I had a similar issue on the 06 while riding on Hwy 36. Going out of an off camber sharp twisty from very low rpm. Bike stumbled, tried applying throttle and for about 4 seconds bike has none to very little power. I think problem was just the nature of the fuel injection and trying to apply too much throttle at that time and conditions. Also was at higher elevation. Hasn't done it since. Some who have had this issue resolved it by rasing the idle rpm from around 900 to 1000 or 1100. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :unsure:

I had a similar issue on the 06 while riding on Hwy 36. Going out of an off camber sharp twisty from very low rpm. Bike stumbled, tried applying throttle and for about 4 seconds bike has none to very little power. I think problem was just the nature of the fuel injection and trying to apply too much throttle at that time and conditions. Also was at higher elevation. Hasn't done it since. Some who have had this issue resolved it by rasing the idle rpm from around 900 to 1000 or 1100. Hope this helped. PM. <>< :unsure:
It's not off idle, it happens at moderate speed then trying to gently accelerate.

Couple other points, it seems to cure it's self after cutting the engine and restarting.

It also seems to no appear when the temps are in the 70's but is more pronounced when it's cold. But will still be happening after a 20-30 mile ride when the engine is clearly warmed up.

Our latest contention is Mapping. Maybe they have these things so leaned out, they don't want to run in the cold, so maybe a power commander is in order.

some suggestions

1. what is the idle rpm? adjust as necessary

2. do a throttle body sync - probably not the problem, but probably wont hurt, either

3. someone suggest riding with key in the tank - - good idea to see if there is vacuum issue

if dealer can't find it - I would lift the tank to do the TBS, adjust the idle and check all the hoses. I wold also run the tank down to empty and then fill up with known good gas. maybe add some Techron just for good measure. While I was in there I probably would check the plugs

4. might check battery connections

5. might check kill switch connections as well as kick stand switch. Don't know if the fjr has a tilt sensor or not, but if it does I'd check that, too.

He wasn't near empty when this happened was he? sounds a bit like my bike when I was trying to find out how far I could get on reserve which is why I would check fuel lines and vacuum lines

My wife's '02 VFR would surge while holding the throtle at a steady speed, she would stop cycle the key switch and the surging was gone. After talking to the Honda rep, he had my locate dealer replace the ECU. Problem gone. I do not know if this helps. By cycling the key switch you might be resetting the control unit. Just my 2 cent. enjoy the ride, jim

Tentative resolution: Well, the problem with my friend's new '07A (stumbling on accelleration) seems to have been fixed. Let's revue: brand new bike -- 0 history (rider has 74K mi on '04 FJR); first few hundred miles, slows for curves -- rolls on the throttle around the curve & exit and the engine misfires for a brief time; sometimes it will even have a 'fit-of-bad-running' -- but, gets over it. All the things mentioned here were listened to and many tried. He even got a Power Commander (they must be doing a helluva business?) -- he noticed a difference in operation ('carburetion') but the miss still presented itself occassionally & repeatedly. There was an error code discovered on the dash read-out for TPS (altho he hadn't ever noticed the 'check-engine light' coming on) -- TPS was replaced (no better) and adjusted in its slots (within range of specs) with no help either (altho, it did change the 'carburetion'). He finally (after all else failed) changed the spark plugs (took out the stock NDs and installed std. NGKs) -- end of problem.

So, chagrined we are. He wants to thank everyone on the board for their help and contributions. I think he'll try to remain incognito....?

Moral (if there is one?): try the easy stuff first.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was the gap on the plugs that were installed? Surely it wasn't just the brand of plug!!!

Thanks for the report.

I have noticed on different bikes that the brand of plug does matter although it is hard to believe that if the bike came with the brand of plugs that all the other FJR's have, and many of those do not have this problem logic has to interceed. My 06 had this same type of issue by the description one time for sure and to a slighter degree once more. I seem to think my situation was resolved by uping the idle from 900 to 1000 rpm's. It has not done it since, but anything is possible I guess. PM. <>< :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to imply that brand of plug was important or made any difference. He just told me that once he finally put in new plugs the problem ceased to exist (he only mentioned the brand change when telling me).

Also, in previous conversations, I mentioned the idle speed setting -- I recommended upping it, too. He said he thought the idle was fine -- but, he may have changed it (I'll ask)?

Too bad this has to be so second-hand.....

I do find it interesting, tho, because he watched the bike being un-crated and said that it was never started and stopped repeatedly -- nor anything done that might have affected spark plug life or condition. Yet.....once replaced -- problem gone. Go figure. :blink: