A Natural Bridge to Nowhere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
Day Ride To Natural Bridge, AL

P1030866.JPG

This "Day Ride" really began two nights ago when my wife and I were sitting around the house, both hung over from the night before when we sat up playing a new drinking game we came up with while watching the GOP debate. Every time the Trumpster said "We're going to be great!" or something to that effect we each had to take a drink. You can only imagine the results of that game!
uhoh.gif

So it's Friday night, our favorite local band is playing at our favorite bar that serves our favorite cheeseburger... and we're too hung over and too tired to go. Plus, we had a big work day planned at the "farm" the next day so we decided to just stay home and order pizza. We ordered way more than we needed and had leftovers. We decided we would just take the leftovers with us to the farm. Well, the next day when lunchtime arrived we realized we had forgot to bring the pizza with us. So we ran to the store and bought Subway sandwiches. Again, we had leftovers. By this time we had decided we were going to ride the next day so we figured we'd just have a picnic of leftovers.

Saturday night came and we were headed to see Melissa Etheridge in concert. For dinner we went to a local BBQ joint called Dreamland BBQ since it was near the concert venue. While they are famous for their sauce and ribs over the years I've started getting their BBQ sandwich made from boston butt meat as my go to. But last night I was in the mood for ribs, because, well as they say, there "Ain't nothing like 'em nowhere". Trust me, this stuff is out of this world! Dreamland Sauce You guessed it, we had more leftovers to add to the upcoming ride lunch.
tonguesmiley.gif
With bellies full we took the short ride over to the UAB campus for the concert. I had long wanted to see her in concert and she didn't disappoint. The show was outstanding!

So finally today came. We loaded up the bike with all of our leftovers for our picnic and hit the road a little before 11 a.m. The temp had risen to about 55 degrees before we headed out but we were properly layered and both very comfortable. It was a gorgeous day, despite the wind blowing fairly strong at times from the west. It made for a little bit of a tough ride running up the interstate at 80++ on the V-strom with the Kenda Big Block's.

It had warmed up into the low 60's by the time we made it to Nauvoo, AL where we stopped to check on some property we own there.

Mrs. Bandit and my beloved V-strom!

IMG_2294.JPG

We took a little hike through the woods behind her there. We are having the timber cut so we were checking to see if the property has dried out some from all of the rain we've had lately. It hasn't, so I'll leave my timber guy alone for a few more weeks.
greedy.gif

So we climbed back on the bike and passed through the metropolis of Nauvoo, AL where apparently you can get a room with a view.

IMG_2296.JPG

And pick up parts next door if you have something you need to work on.

IMG_2295.JPG

For the upcoming Nauvoo Car Show.

IMG_2297.JPG

While it's an interesting little ghost town I don't think we'll be having SFO in Nauvoo, AL anytime soon... so we moved on, to our primary destination for the day.

IMG_2298.JPG

I have to say, this was a beautiful place! I have always wanted to go there but for some reason it has taken me 52 years to finally make it. If you've never been just follow along. Not only was the natural bridge very impressive, but the various rock formations and natural etchings done by the combination of father time and water working their magic was a sight to behold. This report will be very picture laden from this point forward.....

Some fossils from the grounds.

P1030767.JPG

P1030769.JPG

Do you see the Indian face?

P1030770.JPG

Some of the largest pines outside of California I have ever seen!!! This one had to be pushing 150 feet and at it's base was like a small redwood (oxymoron?)- not near as large in circumference, but clearly much larger than your average pine.

P1030771.JPG

After a short 100 yard walk we rounded the corner and there it was. The natural bridge I had always heard about but had never seen. According to Wikipedia it is 60 feet high and 148 feet long. The word is it is the longest natural span east of the Rockies. If someone can dispute that then please correct me. Anyway, as usual, the pictures just don't do it justice.

P1030855.JPG

P1030774.JPG

The trail continues underneath the natural bridge.

P1030775.JPG

P1030781.JPG

P1030778.JPG

Then we found these really cool rock formations. Many times the colors and natural etchings looked like nature had been busy with a paint brush. But it was actually etchings in the rocks made by water over the past several thousands and millions of years. I''l post close ups so you can see the detail and then many times I'll post a wide shot to put the scene it into context.

P1030793.JPG

P1030794.JPG

P1030796.JPG

P1030795.JPG

P1030799.JPG

P1030804.JPG

P1030802.JPG

Then came this eerie looking formation that resembled a bunch of skulls in a pile.

P1030806.JPG

and it's contextual shot....

P1030807.JPG

..and it get's even eerier (if that's a word), just look at that skull!

P1030808.JPG

Mrs. Bandit is like, "what are you doing"?

P1030810.JPG

She just couldn't help herself, she just had to touch the "painting".

P1030811.JPG

P1030812.JPG

P1030815.JPG

TBC.....

Last edited by a moderator:
..... continuing....

P1030816.JPG

P1030818.JPG

P1030820.JPG

She'll probably divorce me over this.... but I warned her it was destined for the forum!
not_i.gif

P1030821.JPG

I don't know what type of tree this HUGE leaf is from, but they were everywhere. Maybe someone can identify that for us....

P1030825.JPG

This tree was truly "livin' on the edge".

P1030829.JPG

This one too!

P1030830.JPG

P1030834.JPG

Mrs. Bandit sees something down in the valley.

P1030835.JPG

Is it this guy?

P1030837.JPG

No, it was just this beautiful creek she was pointing out.

P1030839.JPG

P1030843.JPG

We took a quick "selfie" and started making our way back to the bike. We had worked up an appetite with all of this hiking and boy did we have a feast ahead!

P1030845.JPG

Just a few more sights before we get back to the bike.

P1030847.JPG

P1030849.JPG

P1030852.JPG

P1030854.JPG

So we get back to the bike and as we are getting our picnic out of the side cases I spot a familiar face.... This report wouldn't really qualify for the FJR Forum if we didn't have an FJR sighting would it?

P1030860.JPG

But as I said, we had worked up an appetite and it's time to work on the leftovers we had been acquiring for the past two days.

P1030862.JPG

We had quite a spread, Dreamland BBQ ribs, sauce, sandwich and fried okra, pizza from Dominos and a Subway sandwich. To top it off, we had tangerines and some banana pudding from Dreamland as well. Need I say awesome!!!!!

We had some left over bread from the leftovers so we made a new friend. We would have given her the rib bones but didn't know who she belong to at the time and didn't want to give her bones without her owner's permission.

P1030865.JPG

We found out later her name was Roxy and she had been dropped off at the park and abandoned about a year ago. The owners of the park took her in and gave her a forever home. She was a super sweet girl and roams the park freely! If we didn't already have three awesome pups at home we might have had to sneak her into the saddle bag....

The FJR snuck out before we had a chance to say hello.

P1030867.JPG

....and then it was time for our departure as well.

We struck out for the Sipsey Natural Wilderness Area just outside of Haleyville, AL. It was getting late so we just passed through the Wilderness and made one quick stop for a break at the Sipsey Wild River Bridge. There were several hikers out and about on this glorious Sunday afternoon.

P1030870.JPG

P1030869.JPG

Unfortunately these were the only pictures from here. But it is a beautiful area as well and wish had more time to explore. I ride there frequently on the V-strom so I promise to get some pictures for you on my next visit.

Then it was time to strike it towards home. On the way we passed though Double Springs, AL, the county seat of "the Free State of Winston". Winston County actually seceded from Alabama during the Civil War. There were very few slaves in Winston County at the time of the war and the mostly poor farmers of the county were suspicious of the reasons behind the war, so they seceded from the State of Alabama. It is an interesting story of how the people felt that since a state believed it could secede from the Union, then why couldn't a county secede from a State? You'll have to look it up and read more about it if you are interested.

IMG_2303.JPG

Since Winston County seceded from Alabama I was questioned why they are flying the Confederate battle flag? It seems contrary to the story to me. But I plan to investigate that further... Anyway, this was our little 210 mile loop today!

Fullscreen%252520capture%2525202282016%25252075835%252520PM.jpg

Spring is just around the corner now.... so 'till next time, adios my friends!
bike.gif

Reminds me of our stop in Tennessee in 2010.

Guys, Turk is fearless. He LIKES to walkout across natural unsupported spans no sane person would even think about crossing.

I'm guessing you didn't find any undergarments under this bridge LOL!

Great RR. I grew up just a few miles from Nauvoo !! in an area known as Dogtown.

Thanks for the compliments everyone! I have revised the report and tried to get some of the glaring typos out. I have to start proofreading before I post! Anyway, yes it was a beautiful day and certainly added to my spring fever that has been building lately.

Bungie - no underwear garments were located under THIS bridge! LOL - However, last week Cav and I did visit the scene of that 2010 discovery. I related the story to him while we were there. Good times for sure! You need to get back down this way for some Smokehouse pie sometime!

Dunk - funny how, by coincidence alone, my ride report last weekend from the RTE to Cullman contained references to both natural bridges and to towns named Dogtown. Actually, I am familiar with the Dogtown community where you grew up, just across US 78 from Kansas and west of Carbon Hill from my days associated with the coal industry. Last weekend's ride took me through the incorporated town of Dog Town in Dekalb Co., near Little River Canyon. I didn't think about it at the time but that's funny how Alabama has two communities named "Dogtown" or "Dog Town", with the spelling depending on which one you are referring to.

Bug - I really appreciate the time many of you take sharing reports and pictures from areas all around our beautiful country. It gives me inspiration of places to ride to. There are some really beautiful places in the State of Alabama and even some decent places to ride. Of course there are plenty of great places to eat - just look at me! So I have made it a point to try and share more of my travels from around the State of Alabama this year with you all. I'm going to try and post up reports from little day rides to places that I generally would take for granted. I'm sure many of you have never been to Alabama so I plan to give you a few reasons to come check it out sometime. Stay tuned....

Bungie - You need to get back down this way for some Smokehouse pie sometime!
You have no idea. I still talk about that pie to ppl. I swear I heard a symphony of angels in my head when I tasted that. I must return, find out how to make it, return to Ontario and setup a kiosk in a food court somewhere. Retire in 6 mo.

No kidding guys, the pie is THAT good.

This looks like a good time. I've lived within about 2-3 hours of here my entire life and never stopped, though I've passed it many times. The same goes for dismals canyon, which I've also never stopped at.

Latest posts