FOBO Bluetooth TPMS install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJReady

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Technically this isn't FJR specific but I think it still applies. I added the FOBO Bike Kit to my FJ-09 this weekend. But I could have just as easily (and probably will) added it to my FJR.

I wanted right angle valve stems for my FJ-09 and I remembered seeing a review of the FOBO set up with optional T stem valves and decided that was enough reason to buy them.

The T valves are very sturdy and provide me the desired result of easy tire inflation. The bonus is that I can now check the tire pressure with my smart phone. Very convenient, can do it from 20 feet away.

The T stem installation was a little time consuming as I took the wheels off the bike to break a bead to get inside the tire. Of course I then rebalanced the tires as the T-stem is pretty stout. I added about 20 grams to each tire.

Installing the TPMS sensor is a breeze once you download the FOBO app to your phone. Both tasks took about 10 minutes.

You can get more info from their excellent website: www.my-fobo.com

Cost was $99 for the sensors and $24 for the two T stems. I bought direct from the manufacturer because I couldn't find the T stems at reseller sites. YMMV

The app sends warnings to your phone if pressure changes. It has a lot of options for sensitivity, pressure thresholds, etc. Seems like a well thought out piece of equipment. I'll probably add to the FJR next tire change.

I put mine on yesterday. T-stems come in today. Will probably have them installed Friday. Can't tell any difference in balance today, even at highway speeds, but when you add the weight of the stems to the sensors, balancing will definitely be in order. System works great. I should have purchased it sooner. Easily replaceable batteries are a selling point.

DO NOT, REPEAT DO NOT put these on the rubber stems. I had them on for a while and when I replaced then with the metal T valves the rubber had for sure been deforming a BUNCH and would have likely failed eventually. So much so that the rubber stems had a permanent "lean" to them. I now have the metal T valves from Hawkshead and I feel much safer.

On another note, the rear wheel required zero weight to balance...

I found it odd that FOBO doesn't recommend metal stems, even though they sell them. Docs reference clearances for both rubber and metal. I'll be running the rubber ones until I can get time to have the metal ones Thursday or Friday. I got mine from wingstuff. I hope they fit.

I see these are Bluetooth. Here is a question for you Fobo users. If these are Bluetoothed to your smart phone can you then Bluetooth your phone to a Sena or other like device for communication or listening to music?

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Richouse" data-cid="1294087" data-time="1457614176"><p>

I see these are Bluetooth. Here is a question for you Fobo users. If these are Bluetoothed to your smart phone can you then Bluetooth your phone to a Sena or other like device for communication or listening to music?</p></blockquote>

Yes. I BT my phone directly to my sena.. along with my Garmin. The BT with the FOBO runs in the background without any issues

From FOBO site;

"

RUBBER VALVE: If you use a rubber valve, do ensure that the rubber valve has not degraded; there is a risk of failure if the sensor is installed on a degraded valve due to deflection under strenuous vibration. We strongly recommend the replacement of the rubber valve at regular intervals of 2 years or with tire replacement, whichever is earlier, to reduce the chance of failure."

Mine deflected, severely enough to put a permanent bend in the valve stem. Would not trust rubber.

I haven't had any low pressure issues, but I can already say that it's great to know pressures as soon as I get on the bike. Should have done this sooner.

Just ordered FOBO from Amazon ($95); cost me $51 after using an old gift card. :D

Don't have metal valves on the '15 yet, but I'll be picking some T-valves up before the next change. FOBO stays in the box until then.

2K miles, give or take. Functioning flawlessly. I do think I detect slight gangster lean in the OEM stems. Having the T's installed before TOH opens.

As cheap as batteries are, and as easy as they are to switch out, I wouldn't care if they lasted half a season... It's nice having nav/routes (copilot) and tpms running on one device.

Just an update- I did a 1000 mile run run Friday, some of it in monsoon conditions. FOBO performed perfectly, even notifying me of a slightly high temp in my front tire during one stretch. I have yet to put on the t-stems I bought, but Friday took a lot out of my rear tire, so that'll be soon.

Got a question that's been hanging around the back of my mind: Has anyone had any issues with the sensors walking away from the bike during any stops? I'm about to install the T-stems with some new tires before this year's Americade and it dawned on me the bike will be sitting unattended amongst many others at different points. Don't know about FOBO but the Garmin sensors don't have any type of lock-screw or something. It just seems so easy for someone to casually slip away with $100 worth of sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fobo had a ghetto type of screw mount thats supposed to thwart theft. Allegedly they can only be registered to one phone so stealing them would render them useless. Mike, any time you want to see how the system works, well you know where I live

Got a question that's been hanging around the back of my mind: Has anyone had any issues with the sensors walking away from the bike during any stops? I'm about to install the T-stems with some new tires before this year's Americade and it dawned on me the bike will be sitting unattended amongst many others at different points. Don't know about FOBO but the Garmin sensors don't have any type of lock-screw or something. It just seems so easy for someone to casually slip away with $100 worth of sensors.
I've had a couple of TPMS systems with external sensors for the past 9 years...... nobody wanted them (most likely didn't know they were there).

Thanks guys. For the most part I can't see myself being too worried about it. And for the few times when I think it's prudent maybe I'll keep a couple of extra caps in the tank-bag and tuck the sensors safely away somewhere.

They come with anti-theft attachments standard. I didn't use them. Looking at them, I'd be surprised if a thief noticed them, much less thought they needed to be taken. And anyone who did know what they were would know they won't work if they're stolen. You have to divorce them from your account before they could be used from another account.