2005 sale values?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, with all of the extras you are including, as well as service history, I'd say you are right on the money. I would not dicker down more than a couple hundred bucks or so. That is a great looking FJR, why are you selling?

Waiting for the 2016's to show up, ready to upgrade.

Even thought about something completely different but I keep coming back to the FJR.

Nice looking bike. So I am noticing many people put "dont need any help selling". Is that because dealers bug you to sell it on consignment?

01414_7yRCeix90Jb_600x450.jpg

Great looking and nicely equipped '05. Love those blue wheels!

Biggest drawback (as you know) is the miles. Once these things hit 50K the resale market is limited, it's worth more to you than anyone else. Pricing is OK for starters but I'd be prepared to sell in the +/- $4k range.

GLWS

--G

Waiting for the 2016's to show up, ready to upgrade. Even thought about something completely different but I keep coming back to the FJR.
I know exactly what you mean. When I sold my '08 AE last spring, I figured I would try something else when the time came to buy another bike. I considered all the european STs, the C14, and even thought a so called adventure bike might be okay. At the end of the day, as you said, I kept coming back to the FJR as the bike that most filled my needs. These are amazing machines, "don't fight the feeling".

You might want to sell the RDL and the Zumo 550 separately. Those two items should clear you bout seven to eight hunder on a fast sale. Then you could price the bike at $3,900.00 with a stock seat and no GPS.
+1

I just sold a high miles 03 with very similar farkles for 3200.00. I removed the Rdl, Penske shock, risers and a few other items. Total net was around 4500.00. Moral of the story is sell the farkles and sell the bike at or a little below book.

Not dealers that I'm aware of, ive had three spammers already and it sounds like they don't know what you have, just that it's a motorcycle on CL.

One person said it would only cost me $200. for him to sell and he called from NY.

Concerning the farkles, I don't have the stock seat and the zumo is older than the bike. I agree I could part out a few items but I thought that they would enhance a quick sell. Might still do that, don't know.

I had at first thought of keeping it then move some of the items to the new FJR, including trying to swap the seat foam. But I really don't want to be stuck with 3 bikes (also have a K75).

My next and cheapest option would be to add a new shock and look forward to hitting 100k miles.

I've been all over the map on would be replacements, even had the Road King fever for awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not dealers that I'm aware of, ive had three spammers already and it sounds like they don't know what you have, just that it's a motorcycle on CL.
One person said it would only cost me $200. for him to sell and he called from NY.

Concerning the farkles, I don't have the stock seat and the zumo is older than the bike. I agree I could part out a few items but I thought that they would enhance a quick sell. Might still do that, don't know.

I had at first thought of keeping it then move some of the items to the new FJR, including trying to swap the seat foam. But I really don't want to be stuck with 3 bikes (also have a K75).

My next and cheapest option would be to add a new shock and look forward to hitting 100k miles.

I've been all over the map on would be replacements, even had the Road King fever for awhile.
That sounds pretty weird. I've never listed a bike on CL before but everybody always talks of the scams.

Just a thought--that old-time GPS might not be that big of a selling point, but your RDL would probably stir some interest around here. Not everybody would want to ship a seat to you in Nashville and wait for yours to come back, but that would be my approach. All you need is a fairly local Gen I FJR guy who wants to switch out and pay you the difference. I'd sure consider it if you were within a state or so of me. And GLWS, too.

35000 is high miles? Good grief, according to him I guess.

I was thinking 10k a year is average...?

35000 is high miles? Good grief, according to him I guess.
I was thinking 10k a year is average...?
Motorcycle industry wide, I would guess that the average yearly mileage would be around 3k miles for general motorcycles and niche bikes like sport-tour where the owner bought a specific model for an intended use, the mileage would about double to 6k miles. I suspect that a higher percentage of participants in this Forum manages 10k or more, and the extreme riders may do 10k or more in just one riding event. Certainly location can have an effect on mileage like New England where October to the end of April can be below freezing with snow, ice, sand and salt and other places can be >100° and possibly with 100% humidity. I don't even want to think about Canada
laugh.png
Also, "the FJR is an old man's bike" so we may have more free time to ride. <--- If you doubt this, attend one of the regional events and look around the parking lot...

My FJR had 110k miles which does bring with it some buyer resistance. In this case the extra bits may make a difference in just making a deal without adding extra money to the sale. I know a local NERDS rider that was offered a pretty good deal for his high mileage FJR because of the desirable add-ons but in the end he thought his son may be more deserving of a still young FJR
smile.png

All things being equal, with all the items on the bike the price is very good for a non-ABS. If the OP wants a quicker sale, the extras may make a difference in closing a deal; if the OP is looking to make as much money as possible (which doesn't seem to be the case) selling the high value items like the GPS and seat separately would be a better way to go.

Thanks all for the advice.

I've had it listed for three weeks now without a serious bite. The cheaper to keep her route may be best, or give it away and move up.

Dunno what motivates this sale, it makes a difference in your approach.

If you are simply getting out of motorcycling you have time to wait for a buyer.

If you need the buxs to buy a used bike you are looking at right now, then you may need to adjust the price.

If you are buying a bike from a dealer and you decide to go even lower on the price to attract a buyer, don't lose sight of the trade-in value because you are almost there. A bike in the condition that you represent should be worth someplace in the area of $3,750 as a trade-in.

Dunno what motivates this sale, it makes a difference in your approach.
If you are simply getting out of motorcycling you have time to wait for a buyer.

If you need the buxs to buy a used bike you are looking at right now, then you may need to adjust the price.

If you are buying a bike from a dealer and you decide to go even lower on the price to attract a buyer, don't lose sight of the trade-in value because you are almost there. A bike in the condition that you represent should be worth someplace in the area of $3,750 as a trade-in.i
Out of giggles I contacted a Victory dealer on a trade in value towards a new CCT. I linked my CL ad, his response was disheartening, $2000.

Yeah I thought KBB was a good reference too.

Out of giggles I contacted a Victory dealer on a trade in value towards a new CCT. I linked my CL ad, his response was disheartening, $2000. Yeah I thought KBB was a good reference too.
I think the non Yamaha dealer seriously low-balled you with that offer. Maybe he isn't as motivated to sell you a Victory as he should be.

Good luck with your bike shopping, what ever it is! Your private sale price is excellent and we are now moving into a stronger spring market. My mom in Knoxville says a couple of days ago it was over 80°, now that's gotta be good for bike sales :)