NAFO - Trip Plans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedcricket

You have whiskey?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Starting a separate thread for folks to list their routes to/from NAFO so that others along the way may tag along.

If you're forced to ride slab through Nebrasuck hit me up! I'm planning to leave early Thursday morning but can adjust if someone or a group may be passing through.

All this is tentative, of course ... it's still a few months away. Atlanta to Denver via OKC to nab a BBG. Leaving the big ATL on Monday, July 25, or Tuesday, July 26.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I'll bite.

Taking 10 days to get to NAFO. By way of Ohio, Duluth, Mt Rushmore, Glacier NP, Washington, Oregon coastline, redwoods, Reno, salt flats, and finally the ever so beautiful Colorado.

So there. If anyone feels adventurous and crazy, hit me up and feel free to tag along. Gotta keep up, though. :)

Looking forward to 5k miles before I get to the hotel in Montrose.

And yes, still a little ways away. But getting closer every day!!

I will be blasting across I-70 @ 85 mph with my hair on fire. In my "Free Candy" Van, hauling my FJR and my KTM 690 R Enduro. Will be in Montrose the Tuesday before NAFO. Dual sport around Montrose, Ouray, Silverton, Lake City and more. I have a camp cabin rented about a mile from the host hotel.

Smitty

oooooh, I love free candy!
I go into the house for a few minutes, and this is what happen to my "old" van.

Smitty

image_zpss65d2dkg.jpg

We're also the wrong gender and 40 years older than .......

Wait a minute, Hud. Think before you post this.

For you dirt guys... I plan to leave Montrose on Wed morning. Ride the southern section of the COBDR. Work my way to Scott's place (3 step Hideaway, LaSal. Utah) stay the night there. If you have never stayed there it is a treat. Best cooking in Utah. I was ther last year and planned only one night. After breakfast I could not leave. Ask Scott if I could stay another night.. First time I ever seen the Milky Way... Magical!!!

https://3stephideaway.com

Thursday morning after breakfast head north thru the LaSal mountain range. Near Moab hang a right, and work my way back to Montrose.

I would love to run Lockhart Basin like last year. If any of you off-road type guys are experts that's a wonderful ride..

Smitty

For you dirt guys... I plan to leave Montrose on Wed morning. Ride the southern section of the COBDR. Work my way to Scott's place (3 step Hideaway, LaSal. Utah) stay the night there. If you have never stayed there it is a treat. Best cooking in Utah. I was ther last year and planned only one night. After breakfast I could not leave. Ask Scott if I could stay another night.. First time I ever seen the Milky Way... Magical!!!
https://3stephideaway.com

Thursday morning after breakfast head north thru the LaSal mountain range. Near Moab hang a right, and work my way back to Montrose.

I would love to run Lockhart Basin like last year. If any of you off-road type guys are experts that's a wonderful ride..

Smitty

That COBDR looks amazing. Looks like you have some great plans.

^^^^^

That is inside a van that says "Free Candy" on the outside.

My guess, is that is the Catfish Kettle shuttle van.

Here is a great vid of The Lockhart Basin. Goes from Monticello to Moab Utah. I road it alone last Sept, but would not recommend it. Take food and water and a first aid kit. I only seen 2 other riders in 5 hours..

Smitty

Hey, for those of you coming from the left coast Road Runner Magazine has a great trip report from SF to Denver: CLICKY

Through Death Valley, Las Vegas, AZ, and UT. The article has links to the GPS file and a tank bag map... Kinda cool.

I'll put this out there - I'm traveling from Michigan to Colorado via car / trailer (this is going to be a dual sport trip for me). Should someone need assistance on the way out or back, my trailer is set up for a second bike. Since I offered, no one will need it.

There, I everyone is going to have a great trip now...

Wayne

The boy and I are going out to Utah the weekend prior to NAFO. Current plan is to head from Springdale, UT(Zion NP) on Thursday morning to Montrose. Should get us in late in the afternoon. Any west coasters heading in are free to join up.