So, I finally joined the ranks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer Down Brown

Reaction score
Saturday I found a deal on a private sale 2014 ES with 5100 miles on it. On Monday I got the paperwork and brought it home. One of the first things I noticed is that I can't reach the valve stems with my air gauge or air line chuck.

Does anyone sell a 90º valve stem for the FJR?

Welcome to the FJR and the FJR Forum!

I saw your FJR announcement on the MTF and wondered whether you would find your way over here. A bit of a different "flavor" here but it is always interesting. Great technical information and assistance are available.

You are going to love the new bike.

Congrats on your new bike! Try one of the gauges below - I bought one on a forum members recommendation and they are very accurate and easy to get in and check the air pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Electronic-Tire-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B000OGAA1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458649439&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+tire+pressure+gauge
But that one says 'BMW' will that work on FJR air?

I purchased a flexible hose gauge, but need to get the 90 degree stems next time I change my tires out. Would make life that much easier...

I have the 90 deg (more like 85 deg) stems from Bike Effects on my FJR and love 'em. I recently installed the T stems from FOBO Bike on my FJ-09 when I added their Blue Tooth TPMS.

Either will make the access to your stems much easier than the OEM rubber ones.

90° valve stems are the way to go. I have kept the OEM straight stems and use this air gauge, it clips on the stem, lets me fill with the schrader valve on top of the gauge, has a pressure release button and the rubber housing protects the bourdon tube in the gauge. The gauge has been comparison tested as accurate and now comes in digital too.

ez-02-600.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday I found a deal on a private sale 2014 ES with 5100 miles on it. On Monday I got the paperwork and brought it home. One of the first things I noticed is that I can't reach the valve stems with my air gauge or air line chuck.
Does anyone sell a 90º valve stem for the FJR?
https://www.motomillion.com/collections/types?q=Valve%20Stems

I have been using the above stems for over a year with the garmin TPMS sensors and no issues. However clearance on the front rotors dictated that they could not be angled to the side of the bike so they face forward inline with the rim and works well.

Mani over at Motomillion is a great guy and sells them for $26.95 shipped any color you like. If you contact him directly he offers forum members a discount.

[email protected]

Congrats on your new bike! Try one of the gauges below - I bought one on a forum members recommendation and they are very accurate and easy to get in and check the air pressure.
https://www.amazon.com/BMW-Electronic-Tire-Pressure-Gauge/dp/B000OGAA1E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1458649439&sr=8-1&keywords=bmw+tire+pressure+gauge
But that one says 'BMW' will that work on FJR air?

I purchased a flexible hose gauge, but need to get the 90 degree stems next time I change my tires out. Would make life that much easier...
Yep, you have to be careful though when checking the rear tire - gauge has been know to cause issues with the final drive.
hehe.gif

I have a cheap digital gauge that has a (near) right-angled head.

(Click on image for larger view)

Still takes a bit of fiddling to check the pressures, but it does for me.

And the gauge fits nicely upright in the glove box, so always handy.

ionbeam posted: Congrats on the new bike, you're gonna love it!
The 90° stems are available from a lot of places. Try Jeff at BikeEffects.
I got gold ones from Jeff; they'll look badass on my black Liquid Graphite bike with gold levers from The Two Wheels.

And I am shocked that the FNG didn't get this reply: "No. No one makes 90-degree valve stems for the FJR." What has become of this Forum?

By the way, Hammer Down Brown, no one makes replacement levers for the FJR.

Well, long story short, you can't make this stuff up, on the second day of my 10 day temporary tag I was stopped at a red light and a girl crashed into me and totaled the 2014 FJR.

The good news is that her insurance company treated me very well and it looks like I'm picking up a new 2016 FJR-A tomorrow. It's not a done deal but it looks better than 90%. I plan to think about it overnight but it's a real good deal and I just want to make sure I feel as good about it tomorrow as I do today.

Question: Will the Canyon Cages from the 2014 fit on the 2016? Anyone know?