Looking for help in Southaven, Memphis area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delboy

Reaction score
I have an 07 FJR.

I love this bike.

Of the four Sport Touring bikes I have owned, this one is by far my favorite.

I have one issue, a strange noise coming from around the cam chain area.

This noise is hard to describe.

I had a local dealer check it out following the advice from this site.

Valve clearance done at dealer, cam tensioner checked at dealer.

Dealer says bike is ok, just ride it.

Well, I am looking for a seasoned FJR owner to help diagnose this issue.

I would just rest easier.

It could be a easy issue to fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, this site won't allow me to add the YouTube link.

I posted the video to YouTube.

I copied to the link, but the ok and cancel buttons at the bottom of the link dialog box are not responding.

Are there instructions on how to post video links?

the noise is at the end, 1:30-1:32, you may have to turn up the volume a bit.

Did your dealer replace the CCT ? He is a moron if not. Ready for the video if he did.

You may have to turn up the volume a bit to hear it. This is my first video. I may have to try again to get it.

Yes,between the 03-04 second there is the odd sound.How often you hear this sound?

That clack sound is strange. I thought at first it was something you did while filming, but if that's coming from your bike it is weird. How often does it make that noise?

It does this every couple of minutes when I first start the bike.

The dealer did not replace the cam tensioner.

He said he checked it and it was ok.

How many miles on it?

IS the CCT on the bike one with a blue or green dot on it?

If mileage is more than 40,000 miles and if the CCT is not the upgraded version, I would definitely replace it. A bit of a pain in the ass to do but cost is reasonably low vs the cost of a catastrophic engine failure sometime in the future. I'm sure that the percentage of failures is pretty low, but I wouldn't (and didn't) take the chance on my own bike.

Not sure how someone can "check" a CCT and pronounce it to be good?

It does this every couple of minutes when I first start the bike.
The dealer did not replace the cam tensioner.

He said he checked it and it was ok.
There is no way the dealer could adequately check the CCT, the method described in the Service Manual does not detect the true failure mode of the CCT. Take some time and examine the CCT, if it has a paint dot (usually green or blue) your CCT is an updated design and *should* be OK. If there is no dot, you should have the CCT replaced regardless if it's the cause of your noise.

Edit: I see Ross posted a really good reply while I was typing.

The mileage is 34,000.

At this mileage, I think I will just replace the CCT.

I have a friend who can install the new one.

Where is the best place to purchase?

IF in doubt, replace the CCT...... if no dot, just do it soon. Although very rare, a blue/green dot might fail (we had one post that I recall). It is cheap insurance to have a new one.

I'm not sure what the noise is unless the chain is loose enough to climb the crank sprocket.... one thing you could do is loosen the right lower fairing and remove the timing chain cover. You could see if you have a loose chain (CCT weak).

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/136891-lessons-learned-on-changing-the-cct/

(I'm asking/posting as though I am a mechanic..... he he he)

I wouldn't argue with replacing the CCT - there is enough history with that issue and it's a cheap and easy enough fix.

But the noise I heard in the second video didn't sound like my '05 did before I replaced the CCT. Mine was a rattle, and the frequency would change with rpm. The sound I heard in the video was a single "clank", or even (dare I type) faint "knock".

1. The first video was taken from the rear-ward side of the clutch cover. The timing rotor cover is more toward the front of the engine. Where more specifically do you hear the noise? Using a stethoscope or even a screwdriver placed on your ear might direct the noise more for you.

2. When the noise is exhibiting itself, is it always a single "clank" or at other times, will it pronounce itself repeatedly? IF so, under what conditions does the repeated occurrence happen (idle, warm engine, reving from 1K - 4K, etc)?

3. Overall, does the noise go away when the engine warms or under any other riding or running conditions?

4. When you are riding the bike, I know that you probably can't hear the noise (can you?). But do you "feel" the clank through either the foot pegs or the handlebars? If so, under what conditions - be specific. (hard acceleration, decal with the clutch pulled, etc.)

5. Would you classify yourself as someone that is hard on the clutch? Do you feather the clutch a lot when you ride the bike? Are you have any problems with the shifting of the bike? Can you confirm that you are using an engine oil that is JMSO rated (motorcycle approved)? Has anyone been inside the motor to your knowledge for any purpose?

On both of my FJRs, when I release the clutch in neutral, I do hear something in the clutch area. I assume its the pressure plate releasing the friction plates and perhaps the throw out bearing making a little noise as the load changes with it. Or it could be the push rod touching the clutch fork (or whatever it is called on a motorcycle). To me, the noise the OP has video'd is that same frequency, but much more pronounced and louder.

Am I way off base?