Wiring for Gen III Headlight Relay

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Cajone

Reaction score
Does anyone have a photo or wiring diagram that would help me wire the Clearwater Glenda lights into

a 2016 FJR?

On the 2014ES model there are 3 relays below the speedometer location in the wiring harness. Sitting on the seat, looking at the speedo, the relay you want for Clearwater controller is the right one(in the group of 3). This relay has the two wires described in the Clearwater instructions: the +12V power and high beam trigger wire. Sorry, I didn't take any photos.

The relay is partially hidden by a section of the wiring harness. I had to clip a cable tie that was holding it there in order to wiggle the relay loose from its mount so I could tap into the wires. Then installed a new cable tie when wiring was done. This was just for the two wires mentioned above. Ground wire will go over to the battery.

Talk about timing - I called Clearwater just last week about something else and ended up talking to one of their techs in the back. During the course of the conversation it was mentioned that they have no Gen III info posted. He was aware and said it was just a matter of someone snapping a couple of pics for them to put up but the wiring should not be too different than the other years. But then he asked, "We're not talking about the new ones with the LED lights though, right?". From what he was saying the 2016s are a completely different animal and they've yet to figure them out. Seems everything we were used to wiring-wise is pretty much out.

I did call Clearwater and I was told the same thing; they don't have any photos/diagrams/instructions for the Gen III.

I did call Clearwater and I was told the same thing; they don't have any photos/diagrams/instructions for the Gen III.
Not surprising since the 2016 has been out for about a week and is significantly different than previous years when it comes to LED lighting...at least for the ES. And I'm not sure there's a service manual out yet.

Do you have a 2016? Your profile still shows a 2007.

If so, we could REALLY use some help and determine where and what color the trigger wire is for the lighting. You know your way around a multi-meter?

I have the non-ES 2016 FJR (profile updated) and I don't know if the wiring has changed from the earlier Gen IIIs. I have a FSM on order but no delivery time yet.

I do have a very good multi-meter but I'm no good with it (one of my ambitions is to get better with the electronic stuff). I'll see if I can get some help from the dealership mechanic tomorrow.

I have the non-ES 2016 FJR (profile updated) and I don't know if the wiring has changed from the earlier Gen IIIs.
Well then. I'd make an educated guess that since the 2016 non-ES isn't LED...it's probably the same as it has been since 2003 and suggest the diagram in the FJRTech.net article. Tape into the wire by the connector. I used it for my '05 and '14 ES. You can go out right now and check without removing a single panel off the bike and feel for the connector.

If you can wait, bring the lights and your '16 to Tech Day Dana, they'll be some fart smellers there that know their way around a multi-meter. The '16A does have LED headlights, so let's be careful before we let the smoke out of the new scoot.

--G

If you can wait, bring the lights and your '16 to Tech Day Dana, they'll be some fart smellers there that know their way around a multi-meter. The '16A does have LED headlights, so let's be careful before we let the smoke out of the new scoot.
--G
Sometimes you smell it before you see it, sometimes you see it before you smell it........ regardless, at that point it's too late!! Applies to farts AND smoke.

I think the only lighting difference between the 16 A and 16ES is that the ES has cornering lights. Both use LED headlights so whatever high beam trigger solution is worked out for either should work for both.

I think the only lighting difference between the 16 A and 16ES is that the ES has cornering lights. Both use LED headlights...
I wasn't sure about that when I posted. Assuming so, then it's back to the intrepid soul to get out their multimeter and find the trigger. It's not that hard and I would do it if I had access to a 2016.

Well heck, if there are any '16 owners in New England willing to offer their bike for examination I could check it out. I'd even sacrifice and actually ride my FJR out to the '16 for the inspection.

It's somewhat unclear if the '16 LEDs have a power supply or simply a current limiting element. The 'Headlight Cord' looks to be a ~10 pin connector going to the headlight assembly. The Inertial Measure Unit in the tail also looks interesting
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It's somewhat unclear if the '16 LEDs have a power supply or simply a current limiting element. The 'Headlight Cord' looks to be a ~10 pin connector going to the headlight assembly. The Inertial Measure Unit in the tail also looks interesting
wink.png
Alan, if it means anything to your figgerin', the Clearwater tech mentioned the ECU several times and electrical things running backwards.

Glad to help.
rolleyes.gif

You could always take a ride down to Clearwater. They have a cot you crash on overnight and Glenn would most likely work something out $$-wise for the knowledge you give him access to. C'mon it's just down the road from you.

This might be the first clue about what we're dealing with. Directly underneath the headlights, facing down into the wheel well, are two

"Light Control Units".

Following is a photo showing the location:

https://dcway.smugmug.com/LCU/i-c92sdVK

and here is close-up showing the information printed on the LCU:

https://dcway.smugmug.com/LCU/i-MbkqPCt

I'm wondering if these LCUs are part of the LED system, starting with the '16 FJRs, or if the earlier Gen IIIs had something similar?

Anyway, I'm going to wait until some electrical gurus weigh in before I try wiring up my Clearwater lights.

Last edited by a moderator: