R1200RT - Thoughts?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenwhipper

Reaction score
I'll likely find no love here on said topic, but after 8 years on 2008 FJR, I am looking for something new. I am seriously looking at the latest gen of the BMW R1200RT. Seems to fit my next iteration of the riding life. I am curious if anybody has first hand knowledge of the bike. Things you liked? Things you did not like?

Cheers. Thanks for the help.

smile.png

R1200RT-2016-03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty looking bikes, admire the concept, not to sure of the execution. I would make sure I had a good local dealer. I would consider renting one for a ride first.

They're comfortable to sit on, and thy handle well. Moving to the liquid cooled motor was a serious upgrade. It's fast, but not FJR fast. It's easy to work on, with the heads just sticking out by the knees. In BMW style, numerous bells and whistles are available, and some like the heated seat are really nice. Our new RTs have been very reliable, and if you buy one you will probably like it. If you let the dealer do maintenance, you'll like it less.

Have fun, and take it on a nice long test ride before you buy. It has BMW pricing, and BMW comfort. Either way, it's a really nice bike.

Go for it...life's too short!

I test rode a friends '13 oil-head and liked it a lot. Felt immediately comfortable on the bike, ergos were great and I could have really enjoyed taking off cross country on it. Last year I rode a new wet-head and while the bike felt the same, I wasn't as impressed as I wanted to be. Plenty fast, still comfortable but I was looking for more out of the engine.

--G

What HotRodZilla says....... Arguably one of the best sport tourers out there for comfort, ergos, handling. I have a couple of respected buddies who got '14's and they couldn't be happier........ if I was to have a Beemer, it would be that one (I have chosen GenIII FJR). Familiarize yourself with the total cost of ownership...... if you don't work on it yourself, and even if you do, there are some things you must take to the dealer........ get on their forums and look for workarounds to dealer service......... and lastly, test ride a GenIII FJR before you go elsewhere....

No need to rent one. BMW actually lets you take a demo out for a nice long ride. One of the few brands that will let you do that. Having owned the older RT's and ridden the new ones as well, you will like it's smoothness and handling. It is a formidable opponent to the FJR, IMHO. Unless you are very tech savvy, expect to pay a lot for maintenance, though.

No need to rent one. BMW actually lets you take a demo out for a nice long ride. One of the few brands that will let you do that. Having owned the older RT's and ridden the new ones as well, you will like it's smoothness and handling. It is a formidable opponent to the FJR, IMHO. Unless you are very tech savvy, expect to pay a lot for maintenance, though.
I was sitting on a 1600GTL at a bike show two years ago, the sales person gave me his card and invited me to take a couple hour test ride at their dealership, he just wanted me to call ahead a day or so to arrange it. Never went though as I was perfectly happy with my Feejer.

I do like the comfort of the riding position on the RT but the performance, low maintenance and cost of ownership of the FJR wins for me.

to have try it several time (my father had one) it's a very comfortable bike (maybe too). Easy to take in hands... but it's only a GT, not a sport GT. like Triumph trophy...
After, it's personal, but i realy dislike the engine. Even if on this generation, the boxer have been many strong evolution...
Finally, BMW is not to expensive to maintain, because if you stay only on the maintenance plan, they are missing many and many things... My father sold its because it had to much problem. He eventually abandoned BMW, because the on his two latter models (K1300 GT, K1200 RT) it had too many reliability problems

Ergonomically and handling-wise, the 1200, like the 1150 before it, is virtually without peer. The RT, to me, is BMW's finest bike, and one of the best of any out there for sport touring. Handles like a superbike, but with wing-like comfort. Now for the downside- you specify an R1200RT. That is an air-cooled bike. We say oil cooled/oilhead, but it's really an air cooled bike. Which can lead to problems in stop and go summer traffic (mine eventually coughed up an exhaust valve). They are, as a brand, rated around the bottom (neck and neck with HD) in reliability. So, as far as handling/performance/comfort/ergonomics, I don't think I'll ever find better sport touring bike. But due to repeated and unrelated mechanical problems, a decided lack of a dealer/repair network, and lack of reasonably priced extended warranties, I traded mine in on an FJR. Maintenance for the BMW isn't any more expensive, but repairs are, and are more frequent. I really like my FJR. I miss the ergos and suspension of the RT, but I got more than I gave up when I went Yamaha. The R1200RT is available in a water cooled version (R1200RTW) if you're willing to buy new or almost new. Ride before you buy.

Went for a two hour test ride, and almost bought a used 2012 last year. I would say it is a bit more plush and serene that the FJR. If that appeals to you and you and don't mind losing HP and paying a higher TCO, it's a winner. It's a great bike, just different than the FJR.

I love my 2011 RT. Lighter than the FJR, lower center of gravity, better wind protection, better ergonomics. When I got mine in 2013 the FJR didn't have electronic suspension or cruise control. I like the sound of the RT better, but the FJR is way smoother in the engine and tranny department.

I love my 2011 RT. Lighter than the FJR, lower center of gravity, better wind protection, better ergonomics. When I got mine in 2013 the FJR didn't have electronic suspension or cruise control. I like the sound of the RT better, but the FJR is way smoother in the engine and tranny department.
Do you have a fascination with sewing machines or outboard motors, or did you never take the FJR past 6500 rpm?

Buy it, if you do not like it you can always come back. We will welcome you with open arms especially if you tell us how smart we are for having FJRs. If you do not like it and you lose money going back to the Yamaha at least you will know. It is only money anyway.

I have ridden an '08 and I like it. All the fancy gizmos are nice. I found too much wind protection for my Gulf Coast/Swampland environment and I was surprised that the boxer twin needs to rev. I was not prepared for the lackluster low rpm performance. In a straight line the FJR will annihilate the R1200RT. In the curves, it more than holds its own.