Indianapolis, IN - Riders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoosierbanker

Reaction score
Although I joined this forum appx a year ago when I purchased my 2013 Gen III last year, I haven't had the opportunity to branch out and meet anyone in the riding community nor any of my fellow Hoosier FJR owners. I'd really like to develop a great group of riders that can exchange information and plan group rides on the fly whenever time permits.

I myself, work a 9-5 job and am married with two children and a 3rd on the way. That being said, getting out to ride and planning rides can be very difficult at times. Most of my rides are spur of the moment; last minute you might say, and therefore are really hard to be able to ride with others. I have met a small handful of people, however, after not being able to join them for a few rides (due to work/kids) they stopped asking. This is what I'm trying to get around.

If we have the ability to form a group that is kind of a "make it if you can" or a "I'm taking a ride this afternoon, want to join me" kind of setup - that would be perfect. With social media becoming so widely available and easy to use, I'd like to be able to establish a closed group on Facebook eventually for those of us who frequently keep in contact.

Feel free to go ahead and use this thread in the meantime to post both interest in forming a group and also for posting rides (planned or unplanned) so we can get to know one another.

Cheers & safe riding,

~Kyle

I hear ya! I've got two boys - 7 and 5 years old - and my planned or scheduled rides involve about 12 hours advance notice. It goes like this:

"Hmmm, weather tomorrow looks pretty nice. No meetings scheduled and I'm not on the hook to watch the kids for anything. Boys have been pretty well behaved the past couple of days hours, so wife won't kill me for going for a 200 mile ride. Okay, let's roll!"

I don't get down to Indiana often, but a FB group might be handy for short notice rides.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a part of an existing FJR Group on Facebook, but it's a larger "interest" community (Global). I'd be up for forming a local Indiana group, but don't necessarily want it to be open/public. Otherwise, I've seen groups get out of hand and it makes it harder to moderate if you know what I mean. I figured posting on here would be a great first step.

Years ago the motorcycle instructor teaching my class asked this question, "Do you know what the perfect number of riders in a group is?" His answer...ONE!

I've found this to be more true all the time. While I do like riding with others, the times I've gone on my own have been pretty special. My answer to that question would have been four. That seems about right to me.

If you ever venture across I-74 west, give me a holler, I'm only 3 hours away.

Kyle,

There is about 3-6 of us who ride spur of the moment all the time. We can exchange numbers and when we go we usually text each other. Let me know if you wanna join up!

Kyle,
There is about 3-6 of us who ride spur of the moment all the time. We can exchange numbers and when we go we usually text each other. Let me know if you wanna join up!

Yes, that would be great, thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking for. My biggest problem is that I don't want people to think I don't want to as most of the time I won't be able to make it just due to scheduling and responsibilities. But it's great when it works out. I just want to be part of a constant group who goes with the flow like that.

We can always PM one another with details.

Thanks again!

Sounds like a good idea Kyle. Keep me in mind if it happens, keep me in mind if it doesn't happen. As I'm sure you know, local riding in Southern Indiana isn't too bad. Most of my riding is becoming local day rides with a lunch somewhere in there, always a good way to spend the day.

By the way, nice looking '13 you were riding yesterday. I think that's the first Gen3 I've seen that wasn't in a dealership. I take that back, I saw a red one in Maine last summer.

Definitely. And 95% of my rides are typically down south through the Nashville, Bloomington, Bedford, & Story areas - close, convenient, and great routes. Also, like you I typically have a stop for a meal or frosty beverage.

Thanks. I haven't seen any other Gen III's either, heck I never see any FJR's. I was able to get a steal of a deal from another member here on the forums who lives down in St. Louis. Made a day trip out of it driving down with a friend in the morning, and my first trip on the bike was the long haul back to Indy that afternoon. It was perfect!

I am in on meet ups too. Now that I-69 runs right by my home in Washington Bloomington is a mere hour away. I usually run further south around Corydon in the hills but all options are on the table. My son has a FJR as well.

I would be interested in being on the list also. See you guys in Moonshine! Work gets in the way so I don't ride as much as some. On vacation this week using time so I don't lose it. Got several short trips I intend on doing this week.

I would be interested in being on the list also. See you guys in Moonshine! Work gets in the way so I don't ride as much as some. On vacation this week using time so I don't lose it. Got several short trips I intend on doing this week.
I am on vacation as well. Just doing local stuff and run a few errands.

Maybe can hook up.