6 gear slipper tranny "2016" in old 5 gears engines?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lele

Reaction score
I drink too many beers or is possibile ?
OK maybe is fantascience
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I swapped a 6 speed trans from a Husky WXE610 into a formerly 4 speed TC610 motor once. Hope this helps
rolleyes.gif

+1 @ TripperMike. I'm sure it could be done, but you'd have to pull the engine and split the casing to get to everything. With only an estimated 10% drop in RPMs at speed, why bother? That 10% doesn't really effect fuel efficiency 1:1, and we already get some really good mileage with just the 5 gears.

Yes, it can be done: take your bike to a dealer, and when you pick it up, it will be blue. Chances are the dealer can put ES on it and LED lights at the same time. Expect it to cost a few thou, or more depending on the age of the bike when you take it in.
smile.png

Last Thursday I stopped by the dealer that I bought mine from and an old acquaintance of mine who is a mechanic there and rides a Gen I was really jonesing for the transmission out of one. I asked if it'd fit, and he seemed sure it would. I still question how he could be so sure without actually trying one.

El Toro Joe. I think it's adequately proven that it doesn't need one over the 15 years it's done fine without it, but a lot of people sure want one ;)

DeSudet. I found a owner's manual with the ratios recently, and as I remember, there's less than a 9% reduction in RPM. I think the 5-speed is turning about 4000 rpm at 75, and the 6-speed would be turning roughly 3650.

Last Thursday I stopped by the dealer that I bought mine from and an old acquaintance of mine who is a mechanic there and rides a Gen I was really jonesing for the transmission out of one. I asked if it'd fit, and he seemed sure it would. I still question how he could be so sure without actually trying one.
P/Ns for the engine cases changed from 2015 to 2016. Surprised to see the 2016 engine case MSRP is about $50 less.

Think if one really wanted a 6 speed the cost would be prohibitive to purchase the parts from Yamaha. That one would need a donor bike. And if one finds a donor bike the thing to do would be transplant the entire engine.

With the cases being different part numbers, i'm gonna go with no, can't be done.

Even if you did want to actually get ALL the parts for both shafts, the shift drum and forks, and the middle gear shaft, because it's different, too (The gear ratio from the output shaft to the middle gear shaft.)

Engine swap. Assuming the engine fits and they didn't move any mount points.... Doubtful on engine not fitting because the frame actually is the same part number to prior bikes.

I found a owner's manual with the ratios recently, and as I remember, there's less than a 9% reduction in RPM. I think the 5-speed is turning about 4000 rpm at 75, and the 6-speed would be turning roughly 3650.
My Gen1 five speed at 130km/h (80mph) rev 4750 rpm, new six trasmission at the same speed rev 3850 (from what I read somewhere on fjrowners.com)

A classic case of mental masturbation. Even if it could be done , Why?? :) :)
Because I need one more gear

I found a owner's manual with the ratios recently, and as I remember, there's less than a 9% reduction in RPM. I think the 5-speed is turning about 4000 rpm at 75, and the 6-speed would be turning roughly 3650.
My Gen1 five speed at 130km/h (80mph) rev 4750 rpm, new six trasmission at the same speed rev 3850 (from what I read somewhere on fjrowners.com)
I don't think there's near that much difference. That's almost a 19% difference. I think it's much closer to 9%. I took the ratios from my Owner's Manual (2013) and compared them to the ratios I found in a 2016 European manual I found online and made this chart. I could have done a nicer job with labeling, but the 4000 at the lower left is about what my 5-speed is turning at 75mph, and the 3642.626 is calculated from the 6th gear ratio on the 2016.

Gear%20ratios_zpsyfpbikjh.jpg

Ok I' m starting to understand my bike is the only Gen1 turning so high on highways (or maybe my metzeller rear tire circumference is smaller than other..)