FJR curious

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dravnx

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'm hoping for some information from the collective. I've been riding a 2012 Vstrom 650 for the past 4 years. I've put 68,000 mi on it and now I'm ready to move on to a sport touring machine. The FJR is in my sights. My budget is in the $10-12 range. $12k is a hard ceiling.

1. What model and years am I looking at?

2. What are the popular upgrades for these models?

3. What should I avoid or look at on a perspective purchase?

Thanx for your help.

Jeff

1. At $12K you are bumping elbows with a new zero mile leftover. Look in the For Sale here to get an idea of what we think a FJR is worth. At $10k to $12k you can find some very good used bikes in the '14 - '15 range. Spring is a sellers market.

2. Much depends on how you are shaped and what your mission is. Seats and windshields are very common. Wait until you see how the FJR fits you before considering comfort options. Horns & lights (conspicuousness) are always good. Protection like sliders or cages and paint protectors like TechSpec and common. A lot of people go for trunks or luggage racks. If you go for electrical stuff, a power distribution helps keep it neat and reliable.

3. On a later model there isn't much to avoid. If you are looking at a bike from a dealer, have the service shop run the VIN and see if there is anything like the grounding system recall that needs to be performed. If it's a private sale and the seller seems 'off' a bit, you may want to move on just for piece of mind. You don't have to take a deal because you don't want a to lose a chance to have a FJR, there are always more bikes available.

Good luck with the hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, great info. The model comparison matrix blew my mind. I'm liking this machine more and more and I haven't even test rode or sat on one yet. Looks like the Gen 3 is the one to have.

Wow, great info. The model comparison matrix blew my mind.
Glad you liked it!

BTW, it and many other things were linked in the details you promised you'd read when you signed up earlier today.
wink.png

Yep, it's (almost) Friday!
rolleyes.gif

Enjoy the comparison matrix and all of the SEARCH functions.

We'll talk more in a few...

Yup - 14 or 15 is your best bet....

'13 has no Electronic Suspension and has a cruise control Speedo Limit at 80mph...

If you prefer to work your own suspension, then the '13 is great as well aside from the 80mph cruise.

Looks like the Gen 3 is the one to have.
I think the biggest advantage is the 6th gear on a '16. You'll be looking at above your budget for a '16, but I imagine you could get a '15 for close to your budget. Others know more than I, but I think the modes, heated grips, and factory cruise are the biggest advantages to the gen 3.

I had negotiated for a '14 last spring with zero miles for a hair over 12 out the door. I imagine you could find a new '15 for about the same. I'd call around and drive the hard bargain. If there are any '14s left around, they could maybe be had for less. I didn't buy the FJR at the time and bought a new FJ-09 instead, but I recently decided I needed the FJR too, so I picked up an '08 to determine if the FJR is a do-all for me. I may go for a new one in the future, but I'm loving this for now.

1. At $12K you are bumping elbows with a new zero mile leftover. Look in the For Sale here to get an idea of what we think a FJR is worth. At $10k to $12k you can find some very good used bikes in the '14 - '15 range. Spring is a sellers market.
2. Much depends on how you are shaped and what your mission is. Seats and windshields are very common. Wait until you see how the FJR fits you before considering comfort options. Horns & lights (conspicuousness) are always good. Protection like sliders or cages and paint protectors like TechSpec and common. A lot of people go for trunks or luggage racks. If you go for electrical stuff, a power distribution helps keep it neat and reliable.

3. On a later model there isn't much to avoid. If you are looking at a bike from a dealer, have the service shop run the VIN and see if there is anything like the grounding system recall that needs to be performed. If it's a private sale and the seller seems 'off' a bit, you may want to move on just for piece of mind. You don't have to take a deal because you don't want a to lose a chance to have a FJR, there are always more bikes available.

Good luck with the hunt.
Well thought out answer. Listen to this man, he is the man with the most neurons running around.

I just bought a brand new 2014A out the door $12.1k
2014_Yamaha_FJR1300_wheelie1.jpg
Looks like you're riding it like you 'stole it'. I see they put helium in the front tire too.
coolsmiley02.gif

Best year for FJR is 2004 with no-ABS.

find one and keep your money in the pocket for now, then in the future u can find for a good used 2016 6 speed

Best year for FJR is 2004 with no-ABS.
find one and keep your money in the pocket for now, then in the future u can find for a good used 2016 6 speed
Haha... good joke. (not a chance he's being serious)

I would take any 3rd Gen over any 2004, especially one without ABS. With 12k budget to play with the OP should easily be able to find a zero mile (or darned close to that) A model, or a low mileage ES.

I would not hold out for a 2016 with the new 6 speed as it will be well above your 12k budget, and as most FJR owners will attest, there is no need for a 6th gear anyway. It doesn't accomplish anything significant and (at this point) is a totally unproven gearbox.

I was serius

I tried in the past all 3 generations of FJR and didn't find big difference at all ( apart heat from GEN1)

this week I also tried the new 2016 and found the new gearing simply fantastic, your GEN3 is now an old bike like my GEN1
smile.png

Until u don't have the money to buy the new one, in my opinion there is nosense to buy a used or seminew GEN3

@lele - Sorry to say, but you are an anomaly. You are the only person that I have ever heard of that has ridden all three generations (2016 is still a 3rd Gen) and doesn't see an improvement in each one. We all have our own opinions, I suppose, but I suspect that yours are not widely shared by many FJR owners.

While I have not yet ridden a 2016, I seriously doubt that having a sixth gear would be worth an extra ~$4k to me or, more importantly, to the OP who has 12k to spend now.

@lele - Sorry to say, but you are an anomaly. You are the only person that I have ever heard of that has ridden all three generations (2016 is still a 3rd Gen) and doesn't see an improvement in each one. We all have our own opinions, I suppose, but I suspect that yours are not widely shared by many FJR owners.
While I have not yet ridden a 2016, I seriously doubt that having a sixth gear would be worth an extra ~$4k to me or, more importantly, to the OP who has 12k to spend now.
If u consider improvement traction control, electronic suspensions, ABS, slipping clutch, LED lights ecc ecc u are right but remember the engine and the frame still the same for all tree first generation so the bike riding is quite the same.

I suggest to u to try the new one (Does In U.S. dealers let u try it for free?) then u maybe change ideas

sorry for my english