Pulled the trigger on a 2006 FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Well guys my wife and I rode the 2012 V-Star 950T up to Kingman Kansas to "www.bobzbikz.com" this morning which is about 180 miles one way from our house. As soon as we got to the shop I was greeted by my first name. They took a look over my bike while my wife and I took a final test ride on the FJR1300. Needless to say, she was impressed with the comfort, the suspension, and of course the engine. If we didn't have to ride in a cross wind of 35-40mph all the way home it would have been a nicer ride. The morning was 40F with no wind and that would have been my preference over a strong cross wind. Here's a teaser picture but I'll get more tomorrow in the daylight. So far I removed the rear hand holds (previous owner broke them lifting them up while getting the bike onto the center stand), washed and waxed the bike. Tomorrow it's getting an oil change and the clutch, throttle, and brakes will be set to my specifications. I could not be happier with my purchase. This was a straight across trade, which was definitely fair in my book. I got $5,000 on my trade in and didn't accrue any debt on the transaction.

12991011_1307561365936977_8001619945005000970_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You scored a nice bike. It is difficult for me to fathom 25K in 10 years. Many more miles to ride the 2006!

Looks like you have the Skyway Aluminum Sliders on it. I had those on my 2007 when she went for a 45 MPH "low side slide" and it saved my mirror and fairing but not the saddle bag. Now I have the Motivation sliders and T-Rex Luggage Guards
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

FJR1300_Low_Side_sm.jpg

FJR1300_Saddle_Bag_Low_Side_sm.jpg

Nice looking bike! Looks like the passenger grab handles/tail rack is missing.
Someone tried to lift the bike onto the center stand by the rack and split it on both sides. I pulled it off because it was in bad shape. Not sure if I'll get a new one, they run about $200. Maybe someone has a totaled bike with that piece still in good condition.

Looks like you have the Skyway Aluminum Sliders on it. I had those on my 2007 when she went for a 45 MPH "low side slide" and it saved my mirror and fairing but not the saddle bag. Now I have the Motivation sliders and T-Rex Luggage Guards
thumbsupsmileyanim.gif
When I saw them on there I noticed that it looked like the bags would take a beating in a lay down but the front would be in good shape. I'm going to look for some bag guards just in case.

So today I changed the oil out with Mobil 1 10W40, changed the final drive oil, and adjusted the brakes, clutch, and throttle to my liking. I ordered a new air filter, spark plugs, and the Carbtune 4 from Morgan for a throttle sync check when I replace the plugs. Is there anything else I need to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
So today I changed the oil out with Mobil 1 10W40, changed the final drive oil, and adjusted the brakes, clutch, and throttle to my liking. I ordered a new air filter, spark plugs, and the Carbtune 4 from Morgan for a throttle sync check when I replace the plugs. Is there anything else I need to do?
Look at your cam chain tensioner and see if it has a blue or green dot on it. If not, replace it. Doesn't have to be done immediately, particularly if it's not making any timing chain noise, but there have been a couple different revisions over the years. The original edition CCT plunger wasn't quite long enough and that allowed the chain to lose tension over time as the chain wore. A good time to tackle this is when you check your valve clearances, which judging from your mileage you are about due.

Someone tried to lift the bike onto the center stand by the rack and split it on both sides. I pulled it off because it was in bad shape. Not sure if I'll get a new one, they run about $200. Maybe someone has a totaled bike with that piece still in good condition.
If you think you'll be loading up a top case, you might as well get a Givi SR357 top case rack instead of another OEM rack. The Givi provides more load capacity than the OEM rack and also provides some critical reinforcement to the rear subframe of the bike. The SR357 retails for around $150 but they do come up for sale used from time to time. Congratulations on the purchase - they are such amazing machines and I'm sure you and your wife will thoroughly enjoy the FJR
smile.png

Here's some details on the SR357:

SR357_zps9hiv6wz0.jpg

Congrats on the new bike.

I have the rack taken off my 06 when it was new.

Like new at garage sale prices.

PM me for details and pics.

Sweet ! wish mine had 24 K...G2 throttle tube was worth the $s...mine had the mother of all off idle lurches.. new style CCT is a good idea too. I have had not even one single mechanical issue with the bike...altho it does eat tires...oh wait- is that my fault...

Sweet ! wish mine had 24 K...G2 throttle tube was worth the $s...mine had the mother of all off idle lurches.. new style CCT is a good idea too. I have had not even one single mechanical issue with the bike...altho it does eat tires...oh wait- is that my fault...
Thanks for the heads up! I did have a little better time adjusting the clutch to the lowest setting. Getting it in the zone for me helped keep it under control. I noticed the difference between the 08 I test rode a couple of weeks ago and the 06. I was hoping there was a fix. As for tires I can't help you there :)