Do I Really Need Motorcycle Boots?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjcin

Reaction score
I know I must(and want to) wear protective gear on my feet. My problem is that lots of the boots I see for sale seem to be dolled up leather work boots. The main difference I see are chrome buckles and black shoe polish. Other than the Darth Vader style(don't really care for them), what good choices do I have? Anybody just wear a quality pair of Wolverines or Georgia boots?

** Sarcasm Alert ** No, you don't really need motorcycle boots. Of course you don't really need a helmet, or gloves...

I wear Georgia boots. At work. I wear my Icon Super Duty 4 motorcycle boots to work.

The biggest drawback is with regard to laces. A work boot with laces leaves the possibility of getting those flapping laces caught around a brake or shifter pedal. You will fall over with the bike on your leg and be trapped if this happens. A work boot without laces is probably not the best choice in case of a crash.

Of course, any boot is better than tennis shoes or flip-flops. And yes, I have worn work boots as riding boots. And if I have a bad day at work I sometimes forget and wear the steel toes home and have to ride back in them the next time. But not often.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are looking at boots with chrome buckles those are lookers, not motorcycle wear. You want ankle protection and a heavy toe in case you go skidding across the tarmac. Touring boots have these features and are easy to walk around in. No laces...laces on a bike are just dumb. The TCX suggested above are fantastic and thrifty.

Work boots don't provide the protection that a true motorcycle boot does.
What Fred said, emphasis on "true". Ankles are complex joints (so I've heard) and you want to protect them.

Agree, most low priced "motorcycle" boots are nothing but gussied up high-top shoes in black and marked up another 100%.

Find a store that has a good range of boots that you can actually try on a few and see the differences in quality and build. Unfortunately, good boots are not cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a couple pair of motorcycle specific boots but I never cared for them.

I absolutely love my Bates GX-8. They have been in use for 50K and still going strong. They have laces but also a side zipper. I tied them once and tucked the laces into themselves and strictly use the side zipper now.

They are extremely comfortable and still offer a level of protection and support that I feel is acceptable. The gortex has been wonderful.

I could write some snark remarks that would serve no useful purpose and if you'D posted this thread title on a Friday I likely would have.

I rode for a lot of years in hiking boots. I have gone through several pairs of fairly decent Gore Texas hikers and was reasonably content with them. I also have a lot of memories of laces catching on my shifter, on the little tang of my sidestand, and on my rear brake pedal. I even had an occasion in 2014 when one of those little hooks near the top of the boot you run the last turn or two of lace through caught the netting on the top of my tail bag. This left me trapped, unable to hop on one foot and unhook myself and I damn near pulled the bike over onto myself. Thank goodness another rider stopped near me ran over and grabbed my bike supporting it so I could get unhooked. I'd already been debating a pair of mc specific boots. That was one of the last rides I took in a laced boot.

I own the TCX boots John referenced. They are some of the best money I'venture spent on gear. Waterproof and comfortable. Easy on and off. I'lol never go back.

I have motorcycle boots (inexpensive first gear) but sometimes I have my hikers on. A few weeks ago was a hiker boot day. Went for a short ride. At a stop sign I went to put my left foot down and the lace was wrapped around the peg. The boot didn't hit the ground. I was able to recover and get the right foot down quick. That scared the crap out of me. I am always careful to tuck the laces in. That was a lesson provided and a lesson learned. My motorcycles are laced as well but have the velcro flaps to lock down the laces.

I've been using a pair of Tourmaster, and a pair of rainproof Alpine Star boots for various weather and trip durations.

Having come from a time in my youth where less money was available, I certainly appreciate the physical safety, and weather protection real boots offer compared to (for example, something I actually wore 20 years ago), Nike high-top basketball shoes.

And yes, I readily agree that the laces catching on something was always on my mind.

Those Bates will grab pavement and snap your ankle first thing in a get off, there is no verticle support stiffness and the lugs are wide.

To each their own but motorcycle footwear is designed to protect your valuable feet and ankles in the event of accident. I have had the occasion to test them and now understand why the sole is narrow and the sides stiff.

The OP asked why and do I, the serious answer is yes and there is gear designed for it.

I haven't had the experiences others have had with laces getting caught. But i just picked up some Alpine Stars from motostorm.it. The main reason is they are Gore-tex without any insulation - I need something that won't be too warm for an upcoming trip to low altitude. I got them at a great price with no hassles from customs. By the way, extremely comfortable. You can check them out here - https://www.motostorm.it/en/clothing/boots/-427.html

Good boots, they zip up the back if that's an issue.

That is how a boot designed to protect looks.

I have had a pair of Diadoras for a few years. They have been waterproof since day one. Not the warmest boots, but I can wear them with Kevlar jeans, and no one notices.

I just got a pair of Sidi Gortex Adventure boots. They fit well, but I haven't had a chance to test them on the bike yet. Way better than any of my work boots.

On the dirt bike, the wrong boots let me break my foot, and the right boots have saved me more than once. Boots are VERY important!

I finally got around to buying some motorcycle boots last year but I used heavy work boots for years. Mostly I finally got tired enough of lacing them up to spend the money.

I've spent decades crawling around, on and inside aircraft and riding bikes without ever getting a lace caught on anything. How are all you people getting laces caught on stuff? Don't you tuck the loops into your boots so they don't flop around? Don't your pants cover the tops of your boots?

I've had two occasions (kamikaze forest rat and hit from behind) that my lower leg was pinned to the blacktop by a hot motorcycle exhaust. Both times, I was glad to have the protection of dedicated motorcycle boots with armored shanks.

Good boots, they zip up the back if that's an issue.
That is how a boot designed to protect looks.
I 100% agree. I get a lot of abuse from my co-workers about the look of the different motorcycle boots I wear to work so usually I just wear the Icons. But that particular Sidi is considered by many to be one of the best.

I have had a pair of Diadoras for a few years. They have been waterproof since day one. Not the warmest boots, but I can wear them with skin tight Kevlar chick jeans, and no one all the guys notices.
I just got a pair of Sidi Gortex Adventure boots. They fit well, but I haven't had a chance to test them on the bike yet. Way better than any of my work boots.

On the dirt bike, the wrong boots let me break my foot, and the right boots have saved me more than once. Boots are VERY important! when you weigh as much as I do!
I fixed it for you my friend.
smile.png

I finally got around to buying some motorcycle boots last year but I used heavy work boots for years. Mostly I finally got tired enough of lacing them up to spend the money.
I've spent decades crawling around, on and inside aircraft and riding bikes without ever getting a lace caught on anything. How are all you people getting laces caught on stuff? Don't you tuck the loops into your boots so they don't flop around? Don't your pants cover the tops of your boots?
Uh, it is not 1973 and we are not all wearing bell bottoms.
rolleyes.gif

The concept of tucking in my laces is overwhelmed by my laziness. I gave in to spending money to get away from the work of lacing long ago.

I might add that I never had any issue getting my own laces hung up and that I did not have a mark on my boots in either of my little crashes. But I used to beat my dirt riding boots up pretty good.

I have two pairs of Alpinestars boots. One waterproof for our damp winters and the same boot without the waterproof membrane for the rest of the year. Had a pair of Icon Superduty. Wore those for just over a year and had several instances of the laces getting caught on the footpegs. Resorted to wrapping with a single layer of duct tape to hold the laces in place until I could get a hold of some proper boots. Haven't looked back since. I like the Alpinestars but there are a bunch of other boots in the same price range. Shop the sales, particularly towards the end of Fall, for better prices.