I need to shrink

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Hi All

I am thinking about buying a new FJR. My bike I currently ride is a 2005 Honda ST1300. It has been a great bike and is very comfortable but it is time to update.

I absolutely love the FJR but I have concern about the size. I am 6'2" 210 lbs with 34" inseam. So I have a torso that is a little bit on the longer side. I really want to ride the FJR long distance I'm not really a sporty rider.

I have ridden a couple of FJRs and they feel small to me but I am assuming I can add risers & get a day-long Russell seat to kind of stretch out my riding position to make it more neutral.

My question is for taller FJR riders that like to tour more than they like to ride aggressively. What have you done to make your riding position more comfortable?

I can do 400-500 mile days pretty easy on my Honda and I'm hoping I can do the same on a new FJR.

Any recommendations or suggestions are much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
First, you really do need to shrink. There is exactly twice as much of this thread as there should be. Hopefully an Admin will come along an delete half of you.

Second, without being a jerk, all of your questions have been answered repeatedly, you just have to learn to do a proper search of this forum and all will be revealed.

Now, to address your questions with some questions.

What changes did you make to the ergonomics of your ST1300? Did you add bar risers? Change/Customize the seat? Change the windshield? Whatever you did to make your ST1300 comfortable is exactly what you need to do to the FJR. The same complaints are heard on the ST forums that you read here.

As a former owner of a 2004 ST1300 I speak (well type actually) from personal experience. The only way the FJR is less comfortable for distance is slightly, and I do mean very slightly less legroom between the seat and the pegs.

If you lean more toward touring I would recommend the HeliBar Bridge or the MVMotoradd riser systems. They add more height, more setback and adjustability than regular riser blocks. A Russell Day Long or a Laam Custom Seat will be a must. Your choice of windshield is very personal, you have to just wing that on your own.

Good luck with your FJR purchase. They are great bikes. It is a shame Honda did not continue to refine the ST1300 like Yamaha did the FJR.

Well I am pretty much the same height/weight as you, and by coincidence also previously owned a 2005 ST1300. I actually went from an FJR to the ST1300, then back to the FJR.

The Honda is less buzzy and somewhat more comfortable, but not nearly as much fun to ride. It seemed to me to be much more appliance-like.

I tried a lot of aftermarket stuff on the first FJR. Some comments: Peg-lowers... relieved strain somewhat, but at the expense of ground clearance so I took them off. Bigger windscreen - a must have. Throttle lock - a must have (or cruise). Risers - helped a bit, but required mirror extenders or longer mirrors. I may do this again as I believe it is worthwhile. Seat - helps me to ride longer but maybe not worth it due to the high cost.

I am happy with my FJR because I like to be able to tour, while dragging a peg along the way. Based on how the bike fits me my opinion is that while you can do some modifications to make the FJR suit you a bit better, and since you are slanted a good bit more toward the "touring" side of "sport touring" equation, you may find a better fit than the FJR.

It is small (at least the seating/ergo design is) compared to most sport/touring bikes. Stock, the bars have you laying on the tank, and the pegs have your feet crammed up underneath you like a professional jockey. My superhero calf muscles were crammed into my warrior thigh muscles the entire time I was on the bike. It's the only bike I've ever ridden that caused marked neck/back pain when I rode. It was the ergos, not lack of good riding posture. To be frank, if I had ridden the bike before purchase, I would not have bought it. Luckily, I relied on advice from guys here and exhaustive internet research and purchased a new FJR without ever having piloted one. So, having said all that, I put helibar risers on, MCL footpeg lowering brackets, a Yamaha touring shield, and a Yamaha Comfort seat (not really necessary, but I like it very much), and I can do 1000 miles in a day, feel fine, and feel good enough 6 hours later to get up and go for a run (the tennis shoe type). I never had to modify a bike to get it to be comfortable before. But I think the FJR makes it worthwhile to do so. I really like mine.

I'm 6'3", heavier than you. 34" inseam. I test drove a ST1300. I thought it was a little more comfortable, but not much on a short test ride. I don't have bad knees, and the knee bend has never been uncomfortable for me. Although I have very long arms, I think I would like risers. But now on my 3rd FJR I still have not gone that route. I'm afraid of what they would do to my comfort in other areas with the change in position. Right now I'm pretty comfortable. Not perfect, but close, so I don't mess with it.

Cruise on the Gen III is a godsend. I had a throttle lock previously, but cruise is a game changer. Will not be without cruise again.

Windshields, like mentioned above, vary widely with the operator. One size definitely does not fit all. I prefer the stock in the Summer, but a lot of people like blocking some or all wind, so size of aftermarket windshield will vary with your size and your requirements.

I lived with the stock seats for 12 years. I finally purchased a Russell over the Winter. While I cannot give the expert opinion others with more experience here can on that, my first impression is it will be great for long distance runs, but the stock seat will go back on for around town or shorter runs. Even though I'm tall, the RDL makes it harder at lights and backing up when on the bike. Something I may get used to, but right now seems awkward.

Good luck.

.... I absolutely love the FJR but I have concern about the size. I am 6'2" 210 lbs with 34" inseam. So I have a torso that is a little bit on the longer side. I really want to ride the FJR long distance I'm not really a sporty rider.
I am 6' 3", 34" inseam, and 185 lbs and have no issue with the stock configuration of the bike. I have always believed the designers of the bike know good ergonomics and have baked that in to it. Now. That said ... I can certainly see certain tweaks being made to the ergos to make it better for you. But before you do anything I would recommend you just get it, ride it, and see how your body adjusts to it before you do anything. Every bike I have ever owned takes time to get used to. They all feel different for the first little while. The FJR has outstanding ergonomics that won't require much tweaking to get it dialed in right for you but I would do it later down the road after you have had a chance to get acquainted with it.

.... I absolutely love the FJR but I have concern about the size. I am 6'2" 210 lbs with 34" inseam. So I have a torso that is a little bit on the longer side. I really want to ride the FJR long distance I'm not really a sporty rider.
. But before you do anything I would recommend you just get it, ride it, and see how your body adjusts to it before you do anything. Every bike I have ever owned takes time to get used to. They all feel different for the first little while. The FJR has outstanding ergonomics that won't require much tweaking to get it dialed in right for you but I would do it later down the road after you have had a chance to get acquainted with it.
^^^^^^ THIS!

After you remove some of your height, would it be possible for you to ship it to me? Leg length would be preferable but I'll take what I can get.
biggrin.png

I'm 6'1" a little lighter than you 34" inseam, OEM bars (never changed position) pegs in factory location, stock seat with a bead rider sometimes thrown on top. Rifle windscreen helps a lot. I did 1100 miles once in a day, 600+ more times than I can remember. I stay in pretty good shape and ride a bicycle quite a bit. It's a radical idea, but it seems to be working.....

Road bicycle? That explains that, anything is comfortable after bending over on a road bike.
biggrin.png

Another 5'15", 210+ pound data set:

I entered the FJR world through the Honda door, too - a Hondapotamus/Wingabago. After a dozen years on the 'Wing I was ready for something smaller, lighter, more... Fun.

I did the obligatory 20-minute group test ride at a dealer and loved it. Then waited another couple years.

I bought Lucille via a fly & ride. Our 'honeymoon' was a chilly, 425 mile jaunt across the desert and through the mountains from PHX to home.

When I rolled into the last fuel stop a couple blocks from home, I had only one complaint: the ride was over!

Since then I've added a Bead Rider and new windscreen (won it as a door prize).

I've done 700+ mile days with comfort from fuel stop to fuel stop and lunch break and never had a complaint.

Enjoy!

All great advice everyone. Thank you.

I do have a Russell seat, risers, MCL blades on my ST 1300 so I agree there are options and yes I should give it time.

Thanks again!