Tech Day?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
Does anyone have an information on a Tech day going on or near Oklahoma? The closer to the Kansas border the better. I'm trying to get all my preventative maintenance done but the the throttle body sync and the valve check have me concerned. I would also like to get the CCT changed if its an older version but I have no idea where to purchase the latest and greatest part. I've never done anything this involved before, and usually took it to a dealer to have it done.

I've changed the oil/filter, driveshaft oil, and replaced the air filter. In a few days I'm going to replace the clutch and brake fluid, and if I'm feeling brave flush the radiator. I have no maintenance records on the bike other than the shop replacing the fork seals before I bought the bike. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for the assistance. I'm willing to ride within a few hundred miles or have someone join me in Bartlesville Oklahoma if you're close by and have the time to help. Free adult beverages and at least a couple of meals. I'm sure this would be an all day or 2 day project.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain about being tentative about doing your first valve check. Fortunately for me, I had a very knowlegeable forumite (carlson_mn) walk me through my first time. Someone should chime in soon who might be able to lend a hand.

Or

You could hook up with Makkat in Kansas City and ride up for my tech day next weekend. lol OK so that's a bit of a stretch.

I feel your pain about being tentative about doing your first valve check. Fortunately for me, I had a very knowlegeable forumite (carlson_mn) walk me through my first time. Someone should chime in soon who might be able to lend a hand.
Or

You could hook up with Makkat in Kansas City and ride up for my tech day next weekend. lol OK so that's a bit of a stretch.
My son's 1st birthday is next week so it would have to be after that
smile.png
My manual will be arriving in the mail this afternoon maybe after a look see I won't feel so apprehensive. It's only a 10.5 hour ride up there, I could do that ;)

Or

smile.png
My manual will be arriving in the mail this afternoon maybe after a look see I won't feel so apprehensive. It's only a 10.5 hour ride up there, I could do that
wink.png
If I don't get mine done next weekend maybe we can have a southern valve check party. Actually we can do that either way.

Sounds good to me Makkat. Its about a 3 hour drive from here to KC so not too bad.

I know Yamafitter had a good pictorial and write-up. I think it was at one of the Midwest Tech days in Owosso,mi...so check the Midwest section or Tech

I'm due for a TBS and Valve Check but all I could contribute to a tech day would be lots of questions and greasy fingers. Well... and beer. I could contribute beer.

I'm due for a TBS and Valve Check but all I could contribute to a tech day would be lots of questions and greasy fingers. Well... and beer. I could contribute beer.
Awesome blog Tejas. I may have to go in on one of those "run for the border" rides. I'll keep you posted and see if we can get a couple of guys with wrenching experience in this area.

Or

smile.png
My manual will be arriving in the mail this afternoon maybe after a look see I won't feel so apprehensive. It's only a 10.5 hour ride up there, I could do that
wink.png
If I don't get mine done next weekend maybe we can have a southern valve check party. Actually we can do that either way.
Makkat how did tech day go up north?

The valve check isn't something to sweat. Adjustment...hmmm, maybe.

Too bad you aren't near the southern border, I've got the tool for the sync.

Or

smile.png
wink.png
Makkat how did tech day go up north?
Unfortunately Makkat was unable to attend. "Work" you know it's one of those four letter words. lol

Dallas would work for me. Any plans on going to the NAFO? My wife and I are planning to go, we just have to register.

I'm probably going to hold off on the Texas trip until it dries up. Dang you guys have got a bunch of rain!
search.gif

If you guys get something figured out I would love to join in. I would like to learn to do a TBS and new brake fluid. I also have some block off plates that are in need of installing.

Joe

Joe, I can help you out with all of that. I even have the Morgan Carbtuner for the TBS and the Vacuum pump for the brake/clutch fluid. I have also installed the block off plates which are a bit tricky without pulling the cover off, but definitely do-able.

wow that is a great offer. We will have to pick a weekend in the future. I will be zipping through the neighborhood at the end of July on my way to Minnesota. Sounds like you will be off to NAFO. I am riding to Minnesota to ride around Lake Superior with my brother. Then back to Texas.

When will you be headed back this way? The wife and I were planning a trip to Waco in the near future as well. I'm sure I could "convince" her to stop by if need be :)