Simple Question on Hyper Lite Installation (Gen III)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
The very last farkle I'm moving over from my '05 is a set of Hyper Lites--just a single unit of 16 little--but very bright--LEDs. This is the 4th bike I've had them on, and I love 'em.

But I have a question for Gen III/Hyper Lite owners, since the wiring looks a lot different between I and III. The light unit has two wires coming off it, maybe a foot long, one brown, one blue. I need to find the best place to hook in to power so I'll have them for running and brake lights. Frankly, I tried to pull one of the tail light bulbs out to access the wires leading into it, but something was holding it up (there's almost no slack) so I thought instead of pulling harder, I'd try to get some input from you lot.

So--best place to tap in? And which color to which when I get there. Like I said, simple question--my specialty. (By the way, using Posi-taps.) Thanks.

Remove left side cover and air cleaner cover. Right there is a 6-way connector with 5 wires in it. That is tail, signals. Above that is a two-way, that is licence plate light. Blue is running light on both..... you can verify by back-probing the connector with your voltmeter to find the wire you want for signals. If I were going to tap in, I'd do it there where it's easy and extend your wires to that point.

I just tapped into the wiring harness, under the passenger seat, using Posi-Taps. I just made a slit in the protective sheathing to access the wires, though I only have them as brake lights, no running lights.

I would install a couple of relays and use power to the light straight from the battery (with a fuse) If you have questions, PM me.

I would install a couple of relays and use power to the light straight from the battery (with a fuse) If you have questions, PM me.
How would that set up-cause the lights to be activated by the brakes?

I have them on my GEN III and did the same as LKLD. Using the the connector as described by RaYzerman is probably a better idea.

He's only connecting Hyperlites, so I'd tap in also. But, if I was putting in a light bar or similar, and if you want to spend money...... get the harness from Admore or get a Scorpio alarm harness. This uses the OEM connectors and provides you with the ends you need. Or, you can order connectors from Eastern Beaver.........

Im glad I saw this. I was going to order a set in the next few days. I had some on my previous fjr. Should have taken them off....

That's on the gen 3?

Yes, the Yellow wire is correct for a Gen III.
Yamaha tend to keep the same colours for functions as far as they can, so the rear light cluster has the same colours for all years of FJR.

Tail and numberplate lights: Blue/red then blue;

Brake light: Yellow;

Right turn: Green;

Left turn: Brown;

0 volts return: Black.

Do yall remember the wire color for the brake light only? My Hyperlites should be here today.
The company sends very clear and thorough instructions with the lights, but they were long gone when I posted. If I'd known I was going to use the same set of lights on FOUR motorcycles, I'd have hung on to them. BTW, thanks all. Got 'em all set up now.