2016 ES check engine light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
So I was continuing the farkling process on my new ES today. Was going to take it out for a test run to evaluate the noise level on the audio systems. Just as I was about to pull away I noticed the check engine light was on. Crap! Rolled it back into the garage and check everything adjacent to where I was working. Nothing apart. I did have the tank up and down a few times so I check to see if I pinched any hoses. Everything looked OK.

The method of holding down the select/reset while powering on the bike doesn't appear to do anything on the 2016. Guess you need the Yamaha diagnostic tool to read the codes. The shop manual has a 'hint' stating you can use a generic scan tool but it looks like you need an adapter cable.

If I did jiggle the right connector or free up the right hose do these types of errors go away or do you need to clear them?

TIA

Tried a poor mans reset. Disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes. Check engine light is still on. :(

So the Yamaha "Leadwire" "tool" to enable hooking the bike up to a generic OBD scanner is part number 90890-03249. Googling that didn't come up with any good leads. Anyone know of a place to buy Yamaha tools?

So the Yamaha "Leadwire" "tool" to enable hooking the bike up to a generic OBD scanner is part number 90890-03249. Googling that didn't come up with any good leads. Anyone know of a place to buy Yamaha tools?
Since this is a specialty tool just for Yamaha Service Departments perhaps you need to find a dealer willing to work with you. Don't expect that it will be inexpensive, the '13 - '15 'tool' is a cable, CD and manual for a mere ~ $750 retail. The '13/'15 tool can be found at some general parts vendors for as little as $630.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the cost is a deterrent....... this is a warranty issue, yes? You may just have to make a trip to your friendly dealer. It will be interesting to know what triggered the light.

Warranty I guess unless they lay the blame on me for pulling a connector loose or pinching a hose. The bike is getting pretty "modified". I also added a RAM ball to the right handle, throttle grip which maybe triggered a "throttle position" sensor error?? There are almost 40 sensors or systems monitored which can cause the check engine light to come on. The typical O2, injectors. But also grip heaters, brake light relay??

The '16 adapter is completely different than previous years and should be relatively inexpensive.

My '16 did the same thing within the first 50 miles. It turned out to be a kickstand error, it said 47 times. They asked me if I had been killing it with the kickstand. I said no, why would I do that? The service manager said that it is popular with the cruiser crowd, to kill the bike by putting the side stand down while in gear. In any case, they cleared the code at the first service, and it has not reappeared.

Dennis the service manager at Snake River Yamaha also confirmed that you need a Yamaha proprietary diagnostics tool to look at and clear codes now.

Dennis the service manager at Snake River Yamaha also confirmed that you need a Yamaha proprietary diagnostics tool to look at and clear codes now.
According to the service manual the adapter cable will allow you to view codes and identify malfunctions with a standard OBD. You won't be able to clear them. I'll try and get to my dealer this week and see if they can read and clear the code for me. Thanks!

Interesting. AdamK, I'd call your salesman first and ask. He should be motivated to help. It should be a warranty thing .........

Bellerophon, when parking facing downhill, i've been known to kill the engine with the sidestand. Let the clutch out, engage the transmission, then set the bike down on the sidestand confident it won't roll forward and fold up the stand. Did your service manager indicate this behavior might damage the bike, or did he just think it inelegant?

My '16 did the same thing within the first 50 miles. It turned out to be a kickstand error, it said 47 times. They asked me if I had been killing it with the kickstand. I said no, why would I do that? The service manager said that it is popular with the cruiser crowd, to kill the bike by putting the side stand down while in gear. In any case, they cleared the code at the first service, and it has not reappeared.
I think I'd have a hard time not being flippant to such a comment to the dealer's techs (or whomever said that). An open circuit, however made, as an open circuit.

Did your service manager indicate this behavior might damage the bike, or did he just think it inelegant?
I'm pretty sure he just thought it was a stupid idea, he didn't indicate that it would cause any permanent damage. I will add that other than the engine light coming on, the bike ran perfectly.

Soooooooooooooooooo, what's the limit to the number of times a person can kill the bike with the side stand and not have to visit a dealer to get the light turned off? I think that's a stupid question, because it had a stupid answer. I'm doubting the side stand has any bearing on the check engine light. Call me a doubter!

I shut my FJR off with the sidestand about 99% of the time. Never a problem.

Funny, I've never dropped it because I forgot to put the stand down.

Does that mean you're part of the cruiser crowd or just a Canadian?
smile.png

Does that mean you're part of the cruiser crowd or just a Canadian?
smile.png
I wanna go bar-hopping on my FJR. After I put a set of Apes on it.

Latest posts