Antilock brakes on a motorcycle = awesome!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
So on this past Friday I decided to do the clutch and brake fluid change with my newly acquired Mightyvac. I used Brake best select DOT4 that I purchased from O'Reilly's and went to work. It took a couple of hours, mostly because I was working alone and I wanted to keep the spills to a minimum. I made sure to flush the lines twice, as I found some sediment in the fluid on each side. After the initial job was done I was advised to actuate the ABS so you can flush the last amount of old fluid that is being held in the unit. I jumped on the bike just after dark and rode it down to my work place that has a big empty parking lot. I started out slow at 25-30mph and reluctantly stood on the back brake. I've had some close calls in my 15 years of riding and I've broke the back tire loose on emergency stops because of left turning cagers a few times. I've never had ABS on a motorcycle before. I will tell you now I was not only impressed but relieved to feel the vibration in the rear brake as I applied all my weight on it. ABS is awesome and I can definitely tell it would be a life saver when you need it. I got a little more brave and took it up to 45mph before standing on the rear brake again. Works like a champ! I could definitely tell a big difference in the overall function of the FJR after a complete fluid flush, air filter, engine oil/filter, and final drive oil change. It runs like a brand new bike and has less than 25,000 miles on the clock. I enjoy this motorcycle more every day.

Did you move (up, obviously, to all of us here) from a cruiser to an FJR? The front brake is you best friend, by a country mile. THAT'S the brake that will save your life.

Did you move (up, obviously, to all of us here) from a cruiser to an FJR? The front brake is you best friend, by a country mile. THAT'S the brake that will save your life.
I started riding on a Honda Hurricane and moved from a Ninja to a v-twin cruiser. I most definitely understand the importance of the front brake as well. This was only to actuate the ABS and move the fluid out of the unit so I could flush it. Just spouting my joy about the wonders of ABS motorcycles :)

I was riding my '13 on unfamiliar roads in the rain when I first got it. I crested a little hill doing about 60mph, and danged if there wasn't a stop sign at a road with cross traffic. This is my first bike with ABS, and I thought there was no way on this green earth I'd get stopped. I also thought "This is gonna hurt!" I tried to apply all the brake I dared and felt the rear chatter and remembered I had ABS. So then I just grabbed all the brake I had and came to a smooth, controlled stop with barely a few feet to spare. If I'd been on my ZRX I'd have probably slid into the intersection.

Did you stand on the front brakes too?
I don't think I'd dare that on dry
aikido.gif

I had the ABS save my ass once at the front wheel on BMW GS - stupid me getting in front of the cage to the left turn lane I hit the brake and forgot about the continuous white lane (it was raining). Next I remember was a bit of a slide from the front and the ABS kicking in. I would have lay flat and end up in the back of the car in front of me for sure if not for this great invent. I crashed my Suzuki Intruder on black ice once because of the braking with front but I'm doubtful ABS would save me than either.

Personally, it amazes me that folks won't test BOTH front and rear ABS brakes under controlled conditions so they have an idea of how they work and feel before they really *need* them.

I would really,really have to like a bike to purchase one without ABS now. I normally practice panic stops on the FJR. It really surprises me just how fast you can get an FJR stopped.

A new bike without ABS is probably a deal breaker for me.

Personally, it amazes me that folks won't test BOTH front and rear ABS brakes under controlled conditions so they have an idea of how they work and feel before they really *need* them.
While keeping in mind that the ABS doesn't work under 6 mph.

I agree with Skooter. The first time you feel the ABS kick in does not need to be while you are avoiding a collision. It's a bit disconcerting the first few times even in a clean safe parking lot.

You should also do the front brake ABS to clear the old fluid from that section of the ABS pump, it's separate from the rear.

I don't think I'd dare that on dry :aikido: ....
If you are going in a straight line there is no issue at all getting the front ABS to operate, I do it every few rides just to keep the ABS stuff from seizing. In fact it's probably safer to test it in the dry than in the wet, if for any reason it doesn't work, it's easier to recover on a grippy surface.

The first spring I had my FJR, I approached a stop sign. Leading up to that stop sign, the pavement was fully covered with sand, left over from the winter. I was straight up, doing about 25 mph, and decided to test the technology. Grabbed the front brake lever as hard as I could. Stopped hard and straight, with the ABS making chattering noises. If I would have tried that on a non-ABS bike, I would have hit the pavement in less than a second. I wouldn't try that leaning over at all, but in a straight line, it worked amazingly well. Learn to trust your tires and your ABS. It's not easy, but it can save you if you let it.

You should also do the front brake ABS to clear the old fluid from that section of the ABS pump, it's separate from the rear.

I don't think I'd dare that on dry
aikido.gif
If you are going in a straight line there is no issue at all getting the front ABS to operate, I do it every few rides just to keep the ABS stuff from seizing. In fact it's probably safer to test it in the dry than in the wet, if for any reason it doesn't work, it's easier to recover on a grippy surface.
I was always afraid of making the stoppie and flip over the bars. I guess I'll have to give it a try...

I don't think I'd dare that on dry :aikido: ....
I was always afraid of making the stoppie and flip over the bars. I guess I'll have to give it a try...
Absolutely no risk of doing a stoppie, the bike simply won't do it. Too long.
The physics says that if the maximum deceleration is 1 g (a good guess) and a line drawn from the c of g through the front contact patch is less than 45 degrees, it can't happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
activating the front brake ABS is easy on a dirt road....with the bike straight up just nail the fronts at about 20 mph...no drama..

right after I got the FJR I decided to test the ABS...I hammered the rear brake at 50 mph and dmn near hit my face on the windscreen...completely forgot that the brakes are linked..!

With a jumper wire it's possible to test your ABS system and run the ABS hydraulic pump to move brake fluid through the metering block.
Used your method the other day when changing brake and clutch fluids and installing speed bleeders in the garage for spring maintenance. Worked great, nice to know my ABS is working. Cussed the plug in the test socket, but a few minutes with an o ring pick with a 90 degree point solved that. Thanks for posting that.

Within the first week of FJR ownership, I was cruising south on Buford Highway -- big 6-lane urban street -- at dusk. I saw the van coming with all those ladders on top, and just KNEW he was going to turn left in front of me. When he did, I grabbed all the front and stood on the back. Stopped 3 or 4 car lengths from the guy, which embarrassed me a little but scared the living shit out of the passenger.

Everybody raves at how quickly this bike can get up to speed. I am just as amazed at how fast it can get to zero.

Welcome to an amazing motorbike, stose85. Doesn't she make you smile?

I think it's a very good thing to put ABS into occasional controlled use. Since I live in a no-ride winter climate, part of my spring ritual to shake off the rust from my brain and skills is to make use of a large industrial parking lot to practice panic stops, activating both front and rear ABS. It's actually quite fun if you've never done it
biggrin.png

I didn't realize that the ABS pump retains some fluid so I bookmarked ionbeam's jumper method for my next fluid flush
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator: