My right mirror must have a complex

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I had a 0 mph drop in gravel a couple years ago and the only damage was scratching up my right mirror. I decided it was no big deal and left it alone until Becoyote recently listed his 07 right mirror for sale here. I replaced it this winter and on my first real trip of the year dropped it in a parking lot in Waynesville, NC. It is scratched in the same place!

I'm still trying to figure exactly what stupid thing I did to cause it, but it was mostly about thinking I was stopped when I wasn't.

My nephew from Springfield, Mo and I had ridden down to NC and were enjoying the great weather and roads. I had done most of the good roads in that area before but this was my first time on Wayah Road - my new favorite! Anyway, I was navigating the whole trip, but after eating in Waynesville, I asked him if he thought he could get us back to the hotel. He drove 200 feet and signaled off to the right in a parking lot. I pulled up beside him and started to tease him that I was expecting him to make it farther than that. I guess maybe I wasn't all the way stopped but had the steering turned a hair to the left. I don't remember squeezing the front brake, but I remember a split second thinking I wasn't going to be able to hold it up. I think I must have hit the brake because I didn't just fall but I shot over and landed square on my back instead of sideways.

The frame slider obviously took the hit because the mirror is not too bad and the sidebag scratches are very minor. I was hurting something fierce in my back immediately after, but it subsided and then I felt ok. After a while I could tell I had a bruised rib and a pulled muscle in my leg. My ribs are still pretty sore, but tolerable unless I sneeze or cough. We were able to ride back through the rest of the BlueRidge Parkway and the Dragon and all the way home to Hopkinsville in a day.

So back to the mirror - Do you think I should try to get my money back from Becoyote for a defective part?
smile.png

When I bought my 06 from the PO. He disclosed just a couple of days before I bought it they put it on a trailer with some other bikes. The gas tank got kissed by the handlebars of an adjacent bike. Small dent from the end of a grip and an nice divot from the end of lever marring a perfect bike. I deducted the price of a new tank from the buy price. I never replaced it - the scar was there and it has warded off other scars. You have confirmed for me that I have made the right decision.
smile.png

hahahaha....That's funny right there. I vote you send both mirrors to Garald for repairs. Then you have the opportunity to do it all over again, twice even.

Hope you're feeling better.
lol2.gif
lol2.gif

Thanks to the admin for moving this. I wasn't trying to do much of a ride report, but I debated putting it here. I'll upload some pics later so it will be better.