Riding jackets, which do you recommend?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuicker

Reaction score
Guys, I used to ride with my Olympia 4-season jacket.. loved it, but that was a few years ago. I'm starting to shop again, but thought I would ask FJR riders what they wear if you're touring.

What jacket are the best these days ($300 budget).... I'm in Texas, so heat is a factor

Thanks in advance!!

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I ride with the motoport gear. Had a tourmaster but it did not hold up when crash tested. The motoport pants handled the abuse without a mark on them after washing. So I replaced the tourmaster with the mesh Kevlar from motoport. It is out of your $300 budget but worth every penny when you go down.

To beat the heat, I have a three-season jacket, and a Summer jacket - both Tourmaster... the Saber and the Sonara Air. I also did not know about, but would have considered the Tourmaster Flex, which could take the place of both.

I use Tourmaster because it fits me well. This should be the first consideration in selecting a jacket.

I like this jacket.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/revit-tornado-2-hv-jacket

It's a bit over $300 but comes with a thick quilted waterproof liner. So it can be used year around.

Well, year round in Texas or in Florida like I do.

I replaced some entry level gear with this jacket. It wears better, is cooler and seems tougher. I have not actually crash tested it but it feels more stout.

Nice family picture in your avatar. All the more reason no matter what jacket you buy it should zip to your riding pants. Jeans are about the same as naked.

2nd motoport, saved my butt at a 55 mph slide down the tarmack after bambi took down my FJR.

Like El Toro Joe I have Klim Badlands Pro and I have no regrets. There was a new model out of Badlands last year and the old one (like mine, still awesome) can be fetched for about $500 with a bit of patience. Badlands Pro is the old one, Badlands is the new one. Goretex shell and good protection are worth it.

I used to use Tourmaster Epic before which was decent piece of gear, another one to consider could be FirstGear Kilimanjaro or Kathmandu that are good and closer to your budget but not really compare to Klim.

I'd recommend going to MC show or some large store with lots of gear to choose from to try them on first. Different models fit different body types.

I have a number of jackets but for Texas I would use a First Gear mesh jacket. Got one of those for my shakedown with the FJR 3 years ago and the thing is cool when you need it to be and the liner makes it comfortable for cool mornings and waterproof in the rain. Just bought an Icon Sanctuary leather hybrid jacket which appears to be a good spring and late summer jacket but would not cut it for Texas summers.

I've crashed tested my Motoport jacket and pants twice now, and never had a scratch. Motoport kevlar with the quad pads is the closest thing to armour you will find. Aerostitch feels like tissue paper by comparison.

The bad news is that unless you have a standard rack size you may never get a good fit. If that's the case visit his shop and get fitted in person. I had to make two visits to get something close to a good fit, but doesn't look much like a bespoke Savile Row job.

Because I have legs that are shorter than standard for my waist size we never got the pants to really fit so they didn't look like rodeo clown pants. The jacket a bit large on me also.

And since I've lost 50 pounds size they were fitted, the pants are even more ridiculous looking. They will save your ass (literally) in a crash though.

Wayne doesn't give refunds, and you don't look like a super cool Power Ranger wearing them. But they are the best protection you can buy.

I'm on my 2nd Tourmaster Cortech GX Air jacket. The 1st one has a SOLID 60,000 miles on it. The GX-3 jacket replaced the leather pads on the back, and leather elbo and shoulder coverings with the standard cloth material. I kind of wish it hadn't gone to that. It comes with 2 liners. I don't use the quilted liner, opting for my tourmaster transition heated liner instead and I'm good for 20 - 100+ degrees that way. I picked mine up on closeout for $150.00 shipped.

The GX-4 is out now, but you can still find the 3 series on closeout:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tour-master-intake-air-3-jacket

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a couple of general items:

1. please (PLEASE) make sure that your jacket can be zipped to your pants, and then do it - every time. If you do not, and you slide on your back, your jacket will slide up your back and the end result will not be pretty. I know first hand how zipping can save your hide.

2. Some jackets have only velcro at the end of the cuff to secure the sleeves. I would avoid these like the plague. On my crash, the velcro on the Olympia AST jacket came undone and my sleeve slid up my arm. I have a nice 2" x 6" scar to remind me of this for a long time. IMO, the jacket must have a zipper on the cuff. And you must adjust the sleeves (and waist for that matter) such that they are TIGHT. Test it - try with all your might to pull the sleeve up your arm.

Road rash is worse than sprains and broken bones. Trust me.

1. please (PLEASE) make sure that your jacket can be zipped to your pants, and then do it - every time. If you do not, and you slide on your back, your jacket will slide up your back and the end result will not be pretty. I know first hand how zipping can save your hide.
Kidney belt built into jacket works just same fine if not better, it also helps to keep your torso separated and insulated from the outside air, help to carry the weight of the jacket if it's a heavier one.

All the adjustments are there to make sure your jacket remains in place no matter what. It should fit snug to keep the armor in place in an event of the crash. Seems like you god a size too large or lost a lot of weight.

Thank you guys!!! Lots of good info to dive into for sure! :) . I seem to be leaning more towards the Tour Master series, so we'll just see! Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions!

KLIM . . . I have finally been able to "upgrade" all my gear to KLIM this year thanks to great deals on closeouts and terrific finds on E-Bay and the ADV forum. I have a Badlands Pro jacket and a Latitude jacket . . . along with the BadlandsPro pants and Overland pants. (the Overlands are the only piece that are "current" models and the only ones I paid retail for). But in all my years I haven't seen much of anything that matches the quality and flexibility. The fact that there are no liners I thought odd at first . . . but the changeable weather this Spring has proven to me that the "no-liner" syndrome offers a great deal of layering flexibility. KLIM also produces a great array of base layers and mid-layers.

Is KLIM expensive? "Yes" . . . Is it worth it? To me: "Yes" KLIM garments have a life-time warranty on workmanship from KLIM (even their base & mid-layers). And KLIM's Gore-Tex products have a lifetime warranty from Gore-Tex to be waterproof.

I'll throw another vote in for the Motoport. I haven't put it on the ground, but it really is top notch. We took our measurements as they instructed and the fit is great. I have no complaints at all. Well worth the money!