Trailer for towing FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAB

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations. I found 2 trailers that fit my budget.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200466701_200466701

https://theusatrailerstore.com/ace-single-motorcycle-trailer/

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these two? Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

I'd like to be able to "single load". Either ride it on and off or ride it on and walk it off.

I have a 28 inch inseam and have difficulty with riding the FJR up a 5 ft long ramp using a 18 inch high trailer. At some point my feet leave the ground. Not a good feeling!

Thanks

Jeff B.

Last edited by a moderator:
No experience with either one but I glanced them over and noted immediately the Northern Tools trailer is only rated to travel up to 55 mph! I don't know what your plans are but I hope they don't include interstates.

Is this something you're going to use a lot? Is storage a concern? I'd strongly recommend looking for something a little more substantial than either of these. For comparable money you can probably find an open landscaping trailer that would be a lot more useful and easier to load/unload.

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/grq/5526720179.html

I don't know how far from you this would be, but I'd seriously look at something like this first.

I would encourage a different solution. I have a less expensive trailer, that is far more useful, and it easier to use for hauling motorcycles around. It is one of the ubiquitous SnowBear Brand of 4.5'x8' landscape type utility trailers that has a drop gate in the rear that gives you a > 4' wide ramp to ride the bike up onto the trailer with ease and no chance of dropping it off some skinny wheel width ramp. I bought mine a few years ago at Sams Club, but you see their ilk all over. Check Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Despot, etc. Look for landscape trailers. Add a wheel chock of your choice, and some stout tie downs, and you are good to go. Pull that chock out and it turns your tow vehicle into a pick-em-up truck for all kinds of useful stuff.

If you (or I) had more money we could go with an enclosed drop gate ramp trailer, which is far better for the bike while being towed in bad weather, but then you are up around $2k or more for anything in any kind of decent condition.

Half the price and more versatile:https://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb-capacity-48-in-x-96-in-super-duty-folding-trailer-62647.html

Add some 1/2" pressure treated plywood and you have a much better and CHEAPER solution.

I'll take a closer look at the above options.

My current trailer's bed height (18 inches), even with a long 5 FT ramp, the ramp angle causes me problems. When the front wheel is halfway up the ramp, my feet leave the ground. If I take a run at high speed, I can balance enough to get past that point. Backing off the trailer is real bad. Only did that trick once. Too dangerous.

What I am looking for is a low bed height in order to reduce the ramp angle, which will allow me to keep my feet on firm ground.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Jeff B.

Kendon trailers are top quality trailers that have the Dexter Torflex axle (the best) and have superb functionality (very little storage space required and yet will haul two full dress baggers).

I have this one and it's awesome because it takes up so little space in the garage: Kendon Stand up Dual Rail Motorcycle Trailer - $1495. I found mine used on Craigslist 10 years ago for $1200 and is worth every cent. I have put thousands of miles on mine.

This one is same company for a single bike: Kendon Stand Up Single Bike Trailer - $1200

Word of caution: be extremely careful with any trailer that has a short neck/hitch like these trailers. They're a bitch to backup b/c they jackknife in a flash.

Here's a shot of mine where it is stored. Nice that it can stay indoors since that prevents rust and paint fade (keeps its value). When I'm done with it I bet it will fetch every penny I paid for it.

20150120_Kendon2.jpg

Takes up almost no garage space.

There is a Kendon single trailer on Atlanta Craig's List for $1,495. A little bit of a haul from New Bern. But it might be worth the trip.

I remember a time when a topic title like this would bring hell for thinking of trailering an FJR,now, twelve posts on how to do it and what trailer to buy. I don't fucking get it. Where did everybody go?
fool.gif

I remember a time when a topic title like this would bring hell for thinking of trailering an FJR,now, twelve posts on how to do it and what trailer to buy. I don't fucking get it. Where did everybody go?
fool.gif
...some of the senior members are becoming more senior! Happens to all of us!
not_i.gif

--G

Wheel size on a trailer is very important. I'd try to get a trailer with at least 14 inch wheels.

Dont ride the bike up the ramp, this is just asking for problems.

When I load a bike I use two ramps. One for the bike and one for me to walk up while pushing the bike. Or in the case of a heavy bike, the bike is running and i feathered the clutch to let the bike slowly go up the ramp as I walked up the other ramp. I also had tread tape applied to my ramps so they wouldn't be slippery.

When I load a bike I use two ramps. One for the bike and one for me to walk up while pushing the bike. Or in the case of a heavy bike, the bike is running and i feathered the clutch to let the bike slowly go up the ramp as I walked up the other ramp. I also had tread tape applied to my ramps so they wouldn't be slippery.
Ya, I was wondering who well feathing the clutch while walking it up works well. The darn thing is so top heavy,

Ya, I was wondering who well feathing the clutch while walking it up works well. The darn thing is so top heavy,
I've done it a few time putting the bike into the bed of a pickup truck using 8ft 2x8s and had no issues. Just do it slow and steady.