FJR Dyno Tuning & Electroninc Control Unit Flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
I recently got my 2015 R1 dyno tuned and Electronic Control Unit (ECU) flashed to remove many of the factory restriction (smog block off plates, full exhaust system). At the end of the day..... I could not be happier, still smiling 2 weeks later. I was able to get an 25 extra HP at 182 hp and a much smoothie ride. Moreover, I was looking to do the same with my 08 FJR.

Has anyone dyno tuned their FJR and Flash tune their ECU?

If so, what kind of increase performance did you produce?

Did you add a power commander or performance upgrade?

Please share your feed back and experience.

Thank you FJR team :)

There were a number of people that had their Gen I PCIII dyno tuned, mostly to get rid of lean surging but also for any extra HP. It typically resulted in a 6-7 hp increase when done with an aftermarket exhaust. It wasn't uncommon for the people that paid money for the tuning to revert the PCIII back to a zero map because they didn't like the way their bikes ran with the hot performance map.

Redneck J to the white customer phone please ...

J did not flash the ECU on his 2010 FJR A [Yamaha factory aftermarket exhaust] but he did add a PCIII style unit and had Nel's dyno tune it. I'm not sure about the hp but it's differently much smoother running than my stock '10'. J was looking for a better and smoother running bike, not so much about the hp.

Yes, I was very surprise with the numbers too HotRodZilla :)

R1%20Dyno%202%20graph_zpsfxeqvqsm.jpg

R1%20Dyno%20numbers_zpsw1qfvprq.jpg

Redneck J to the white customer phone please ...
J did not flash the ECU on his 2010 FJR A [Yamaha factory aftermarket exhaust] but he did add a PCIII style unit and had Nel's dyno tune it. I'm not sure about the hp but it's differently much smoother running than my stock '10'. J was looking for a better and smoother running bike, not so much about the hp.
Thank you NieHart, hopefully J will be at the tech meeting and I can catch up with him :)

You added 25 horses and now show 185 at the rear wheel??
I think the OP was doing a flash on his R1 , and just asking about doing a flash on his FJR.
Yes, I'm an idiot. I didn't read it all the way and thought he got that power out of his FJR. I realized my mistake when he showed the run and I saw the RPM range up at 13k. I realized THAT wasn't an FJR, but my comprehension was lacking.

Haha...Oops.

No worries HotRodZilla :)

I'm trying to optimize my 08 FJR to it's potential and see what customization will increase it's performance :)

^^^^ Go take a read from uselesspickles IIRC. I can tell ya that the FJR is fairly well optimized right from Yamaha, you will be digging and scratching for 1-2 hp at a time. There isn't much that can be done that is significant without access to the spark map or revised cams. Headers, cat removal, exhaust and intake tuning as a system not something cobbled together, along with a PCIII tuned on a dyno will get something like 8-10 hp and a few pounds of weight savings.

I've seen a lot of the little things done and then run down the track at New England dragway and there wasn't a whole lot of gain for a whole lot of work. We worked in stages making a change and three runs, a change and three runs. We got perhaps close to a 0.2 second 1/4 mile elapsed time improvement -- but the gain came with the ambient dropping from 75° to 50° which would also almost exactly explain the improved times
laugh.png
If you want to be fast for a very short time until something BAD happens, try NOS ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ty, that's some killer HP increase from your R1...it must be a monster! Wow!!

I think this is RedneckJ's dyno sheet after Nels did his work. J can elaborate once he pings in.
coolsmiley02.gif

RedneckJ%20Dyno_zpsb6jq6k0g.jpg

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
You added 25 horses and now show 185 at the rear wheel??
I think the OP was doing a flash on his R1 , and just asking about doing a flash on his FJR.
Yes, I'm an idiot. I didn't read it all the way and thought he got that power out of his FJR. I realized my mistake when he showed the run and I saw the RPM range up at 13k. I realized THAT wasn't an FJR, but my comprehension was lacking.

Haha...Oops.
Long day at the 'office' chasing bad guys.
winksmiley02.gif

I think this is RedneckJ's dyno sheet after Nels did his work. J can elaborate once he pings in.
coolsmiley02.gif

--G
Yes, that is my dyno sheet. Nels is quite the tuner. What the dyno sheet doesnt show is how FN smooth the bike is now compared to stock. The only reason, IMHO, to tune the FJR is for smoothness. I still get about 40 mpg. I hope that one day that Ivan will break the ECU code in the fjr and then we will really have someone that will have control over more than just fueling. Ever noticed on the hot summer days, the engine gets more buzzy? That is timing being pulled out. There is no way, as of now, to change the factory ECU from pulling out timing due to ambient air temperature going up. When someone can reprogram the factory ECU and control engine timing, then we will really have some super smooth running bikes, NO matter what the temperature.

Ty, NO pulling a trailer loaded with beef jerky with the R1. Too much HP :)

^^^^ Go take a read from uselesspickles IIRC. I can tell ya that the FJR is fairly well optimized right from Yamaha, you will be digging and scratching for 1-2 hp at a time. There isn't much that can be done that is significant without access to the spark map or revised cams. Headers, cat removal, exhaust and intake tuning as a system not something cobbled together, along with a PCIII tuned on a dyno will get something like 8-10 hp and a few pounds of weight savings.
I've seen a lot of the little things done and then run down the track at New England dragway and there wasn't a whole lot of gain for a whole lot of work. We worked in stages making a change and three runs, a change and three runs. We got perhaps close to a 0.2 second 1/4 mile elapsed time improvement -- but the gain came with the ambient dropping from 75° to 50° which would also almost exactly explain the improved times
laugh.png
If you want to be fast for a very short time until something BAD happens, try NOS
wink.png
This^^^. After reading 'pickles and others endeavors at finding more performance, I concluded that slip-ons with airbox mod plus some sort of control module ie. Power Commander, etc. was about all she wrote without extensive and expensive engine mods. I ended up making my own PC III map by combining two maps and then tweaking various cells because I tried many pre-made maps and found that none were 'just right'.

coolsmiley02.gif

--G
Yes, that is my dyno sheet. Nels is quite the tuner. What the dyno sheet doesnt show is how FN smooth the bike is now compared to stock. The only reason, IMHO, to tune the FJR is for smoothness. I still get about 40 mpg. I hope that one day that Ivan will break the ECU code in the fjr and then we will really have someone that will have control over more than just fueling. Ever noticed on the hot summer days, the engine gets more buzzy? That is timing being pulled out. There is no way, as of now, to change the factory ECU from pulling out timing due to ambient air temperature going up. When someone can reprogram the factory ECU and control engine timing, then we will really have some super smooth running bikes, NO matter what the temperature.

Ty, NO pulling a trailer loaded with beef jerky with the R1. Too much HP
smile.png
I agree J, nothing is better than having a smooth well tune bike. It brings great joy to ride such a machine and in a sense that is what I am trying to do. My bike runs decent, however, I know that it can run much better. I guess I will be giving Nels a call :)

J,
I know you didn't use the PCIII. What did you use?
I used the 2 Brothers Juice Box Pro. Two brothers is not selling it anymore but still might be available. The exact same thing is the Power Commander Fuel Controller or PCFC. Nels can tune the fjr perfectly with this fuel controller. One really cool part of this tuner is that It will hold up to 10 maps. If you want to try someone elses map simply download it into your PCFC and give it a try. There are 3 fine tuning "pots" on the controller as well. If you wanted to lean it our or richen it up, depending on extreme cold or extreme hot weather, simply turn the screws.

I also have the GYTR pipes on the bike now. When Pops and I were at Nels, we both saw the bike make NO more power with the baffles taken out VS leaving them in. Nels said he could probably make another 2 HP with them out but he would kill my fuel economy to do it. I said, "no thank you sir".

Here is the one for the 2nd gen. https://www.solomotoparts.com/Dynojet-Power-Commander-Fuel-Controller-for-FJR1300-06-12/

J,
I know you didn't use the PCIII. What did you use?
I used the 2 Brothers Juice Box Pro. Two brothers is not selling it anymore but still might be available. The exact same thing is the Power Commander Fuel Controller or PCFC. Nels can tune the fjr perfectly with this fuel controller. One really cool part of this tuner is that It will hold up to 10 maps. If you want to try someone elses map simply download it into your PCFC and give it a try. There are 3 fine tuning "pots" on the controller as well. If you wanted to lean it our or richen it up, depending on extreme cold or extreme hot weather, simply turn the screws.

I also have the GYTR pipes on the bike now. When Pops and I were at Nels, we both saw the bike make NO more power with the baffles taken out VS leaving them in. Nels said he could probably make another 2 HP with them out but he would kill my fuel economy to do it. I said, "no thank you sir".

Here is the one for the 2nd gen. https://www.solomotoparts.com/Dynojet-Power-Commander-Fuel-Controller-for-FJR1300-06-12/
I really like the GYTR pipes, can't wait to hear it :)