A Visit to Daffodil Hill - Sort of! :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm on a mailing list for Daffodil Hill, a private location in the Sierra Foothills that opens their gates to visitors once a year to see their spectacular daffodil blooms. It is a crapshoot, however, to be able to visit at the right time since the window is very small and can be affected by weather, etc. I got the notification that they were open so scheduled a trip right away to go see them, posted the ride, made some routes and hotel reservations, and was all set. Four days later, I got the notification that due to heavy rains, the blooms were done for the year and they had closed for the season. ARGH!!

but I thought, what the hell... it's all planned so let's go for a weekend ride anyway... and so we did.
Day1-L.jpg

It was a small group compared to the cat herding fest in Death Valley in February...
IMG_5126-X2.jpg

Avoiding the freeway at all costs, we scooted over Patterson Pass which has always been one of my favorite ways to get outta town...
IMG_5128-X2.jpg

So nice to see so much green!
IMG_5133-X2.jpg

IMG_5134-X2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
And then my little Canon camera jammed for some reason so no more on the road shots for the day (I swapped out the battery later on and that seemed to resolve the issue)... we stopped in Valley Springs to gas up and meet a new friend who lives in the vicinity... while I was disappointed we would miss the big daffodil bloom, there were ample opportunities to witness wildflowers all around us...
DSC_0268-L.jpg

Off we flew along Paloma Rd. and then a turn onto Gwin Mine which turns into Middle Bar Rd... talk about a goat road... a myriad of patched pavement that made for one helluva bumpy ride...
DSC_0277-X2.jpg

But we were well rewarded when rounding this corner and the explosion of poppies along the road and hillside came into view...
DSC_0288-X2.jpg

DSC_0286-X2.jpg

DSC_0294-X2.jpg

Cool old bridge over the river with folks fishing off of it...
DSC_0296-X2.jpg

And then a stop for lunch at one of my favorite diners in Mokelumne Hill... been going there for years and the family that owns it always greets us with big smiles and hugs...
DSC_0305-X2.jpg

Patiently waiting for yummies...
DSC_0302-X2.jpg

After lunch, it was off to Jesus Maria Rd. which would take us into the middle of the devastation from last summer's Butte fire... the first couple of views were quite sobering...
DSC_0307-X2.jpg

DSC_0316-X2.jpg

But even in the midst of the destruction and loss, Ma Nature is working hard to make a comeback...
DSC_0312-X2.jpg

DSC_0313-X2.jpg

DSC_0318-X2.jpg

DSC_0326.27%20pano-X2.jpg

Then it was the great fun of Rail Road Flat and Hwy 26 before stopping off in Volcano for a bio break, we wandered around a bit as a few folks had never been to this quaint little town...
DSC_0334-X2.jpg

DSC_0340-X2.jpg

DSC_0338-X2.jpg

Always good to know where one is...
DSC_0336-X2.jpg

And then a romp up Ram's Horn Grade that just happens to go by Daffodil Hill... we saw a few folks peering over the gate and figured, heck, we were there so why not make a stop even if they were closed... there were still some remnants of the plentiful daffodils so we did get a bit of a flower fix...
DSC_0342-X2.jpg

DSC_0346-X2.jpg

And this guy was putting on quite a show although the ladies didn't seem impressed as they just walked on by...
DSC_0344-X2.jpg

I'll still keep trying to hit it at the right time for the full shebang... maybe next year! We continued on into Jackson where we would stay for the night at the famed National Hotel...
DSC_0357-X2.jpg

DSC_0360-X2.jpg

Everyone unloaded, freshened up, and then met downstairs for dinner at Stanley's Steakhouse, conveniently located in the basement of the hotel...
DSC_0362-X2.jpg

We had room to ourselves which had some interesting artwork which the gents seemed to enjoy... happy, Bokerfork?? :p
DSC_0365-X2.jpg

DSC_0381-X2.jpg

DSC_0382-X2.jpg

Dinner was scrumptious and we shared a little grape juice to wash it down...
DSC_0367-X2.jpg

There was great frivolity and laughter, stories told, friendships solidified and a few new ones made as well... a very good night!

The next morning dawned cool and sunny even though there was one or two doubting Thomases that thought it would rain... it didn't... because I said so!! The day's route would wiggle us all over the map and on some roads I hadn't visited for a while... and I forgot how much fun they are!
Day2-L.jpg

Sparklies in a shop window...
DSC_0409-X2.jpg

The kids were raring to go...
IMG_5139-X2.jpg

And we were off... first to Sutter Creek Rd...
IMG_5149-X2.jpg

And then Tabeaud Rd...
IMG_5155-X2.jpg

IMG_5156-X2.jpg

Which can get quite narrow in places but the pavement is divine...
IMG_5159-X2.jpg

Followed by Butte Mountain Rd and Clinton Rd...
IMG_5160-X2.jpg

IMG_5166-X2.jpg

And another stop in Volcano which is very rarely crowded and always a nice place for a bio break...
DSC_0410-X2.jpg

DSC_0413-X2.jpg

James and Heather had to head home to their feathered kids so we bid them adieu as they skeedaddled for home...
IMG_5169-X2.jpg

Heading out of town, the age old question reared its head again... why did the chicken cross the road? Evidently, this time to get to the other side...
IMG_5170-X2.jpg

Rams Horn Grade again (oh darn!) which I never have taken any photos of because it is just too twisty and fun... then Shake Ridge Rd...
IMG_5171-X2.jpg

Followed by Fiddletown Rd...
IMG_5173-X2.jpg

IMG_5176-X2.jpg

IMG_5177-X2.jpg

The obligatory shot in the bustling Fiddletown...
DSC_0416-X2.jpg

And alighting in Plymouth to meet my folks for lunch and a suprise guest from Sacramento, Mike, stopped by too!
IMG_5182-X2.jpg

Our regular haunt, Marlene & Glen's was closed as it was Easter Sunday so we found the next best place in town...
DSC_0419-X2.jpg

Almost missed this very subtle art in the grass behind the restaurant...
DSC_0419-X2.jpg

Mike hung with us for a bit before heading back home...
IMG_5183-X2.jpg

And then we were down to three for the fun along Stony Creek Rd...
IMG_5185-X2.jpg

IMG_5189-X2.jpg

IMG_5191-X2.jpg

Roxanne is very good at waving for the camera...
IMG_5195-X2.jpg

View of Lake Comanche...
IMG_5197-X2.jpg

Along Comanche Pkwy... the roads were pretty much empty and all ours...
IMG_5199-X2.jpg

And then an originally unplanned zip along Burson Rd... I had hesitated before taking it but was really glad I did because it was more fun that I remembered it being... and I remembered it being fun! Hard to see it in the photo but there's a section of some little whoops that is great giggly times...
IMG_5204-X2.jpg

Was trying to get a shot of the girls with the clouds over the Sierras but the camera zoomed in for some reason...
IMG_5207-X2.jpg

We reversed our way back home and made it without incident... even though we didn't get to witness the daffodil bloom, it was still a fantastic weekend with great roads and friends... how can you go wrong with that??

FIN

Great pictures! I regret not being able to connect up with you on your visit to my backyard. Work sometimes spills into the weekend, but it keeps paying the bills, so I keep working.. :)

Great shots as usual Tyler! I always look forward to your wandering as you have a great eye for taking a photo.

Great pictures! I regret not being able to connect up with you on your visit to my backyard. Work sometimes spills into the weekend, but it keeps paying the bills, so I keep working..
smile.png
I get it, Sammy... just don't work too much cause life can pass you by! ;)

Great shots as usual Tyler! I always look forward to your wandering as you have a great eye for taking a photo.
Thanks, Kev... miss you, my friend... you coming to any of the gatherings this year?? B)

Very nice ride report with wonderful pictures Tyler!!Thanks!!
smile.png
Thank you, Mihalis!! :)

As usual, a really good write-up and pictures, thanks for that.

... talk about a goat road... a myriad of patched pavement that made for one helluva bumpy ride...
That's what comes of having three wheels, you have three lines of potholes to deal with instead of just one for us two-wheelers :innocent: .

As usual, a really good write-up and pictures, thanks for that.

... talk about a goat road... a myriad of patched pavement that made for one helluva bumpy ride...
That's what comes of having three wheels, you have three lines of potholes to deal with instead of just one for us two-wheelers
innocent.gif
Yup... one of the "downfalls" if you will... very challenging to NOT hit those potholes... if I dodge it with the front wheels, I'll hit it with the rear and vice versa... also very low clearance under the beastie so have to take it easy on those bouncy roads or I'll bottom out (damhik)... but I'm still out there. ;)

I know about lane sharing in California.

Didn't know you could ride on the sidewalk.

DSC_0277-X2.jpg

Great pictures as always!