Olympia or Tourmaster

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burns1

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
After the heat issues I had last Summer coming back from Spearfish, I'm looking into getting a mesh jacket for Summer/3-season riding. I've been looking at the Olympia Switchback. I really like the way it fits and the fact that the liner can be worn over or inside the jacket for rain protections. It can also be worn alone as a light jacket off the bike. I am also looking at the Tourmaster Air intake for quit a bit less. But I've heard less than flattering things about how well they hold up. Does anyone have any recommendation of one over the other?

Thanks,

Burns1

I think you get what you pay for, up to a point. I have gotten my money's worth out of the Tourmaster products but there are better products out there.

Pop had on a Tourmaster Intake Air when he crashed back in '08. The emergency room doctor assured us that without the back protector and the overall armor of the jacket things would have been much worse. No road rash at all, just some broken ribs and some bruising.

We replaced that with an Intake Air 2 in '09. Pop is still wearing that jacket and it is still his primary jacket. I have an Intake Air 3 and Pop and I both have Transition 3s. Not perfect, but I got what I paid for.

YMMV

I just got some airglide 3 pants in a few weeks ago and an olympia jacket as a set for a good deal off motorcycle closeouts. I like the gear and have no regrets buying it. Seems well made.

I have had the Olympia Air Mesh1 and Air 2 so far, and really like the products. I actually use it year-round with electrics in winter. The jacket zips to pants and provides good protection I have not tried out. It flows a lot of air, and my favorite trick in very hot weather is to use an evaporative cooling vest under the mesh. I still have the original set I bought in 2008, and of course the newer one from 2011. Both have held up to a lot of use/abuse. Tourmaster is a respected brand, but IMO is a tier lower.

I use a Joe Rocket mesh, but my wife has an Olympia mesh. I'll get an Olympia next.

I've had Tourmaster, Joe Rocket and now have the Renegade Jacket from Olympia. Got it on a closeout from Revzilla. I also wear the Olympia Moab mesh 3/4 hi Vis. I like the fit and finish of the Olympia and will probably stay with them for a while.

I have found that Tourmaster fits me, and Firstgear does not. They seem to be about a 1/2 size apart. Does Olympia fit like Tourmaster? I agree with statement above that Tourmaster is good for the price. Thankfully I have never crash-tested it so I can't vouch for that.

Olympia is just better quality then Tourmaster. On the other hand I think that Firstgear is better then either. Of course for more money the Klim or even the Aerostitch are best.

I have an Olympia 1 piece suit still for sale. I posted it here back on Jan. 12, 2016, I'm certain you can search and find the post. I have been in no hurry to sell. It is a 2X. If interested message me your email address and I will send you some pictures and we can discuss further. It's been hanging in my closet for several years because I can unfortunately no longer fit in it. It's in great shape. I should list it on ADVRider but have not gotten around to doing so yet.

Generally speaking, protection and durability wise the Olympia and Tour Master are basically on par.

The Olympia line is a step up in style, fit/finish and material grade /comfort performance.
If you can afford to do so; I say the extra money spent for Olympia is well worth it.

Especially if you are going to spend all day in the gear.

Olympia jackets don't have a many air vents as Tourmaster, and that is pretty important to me. I have been using the previous iteration of their 3/4 length jacket for five years or so, and I Iike it very much. The latest version has even better venting, but unfortunately, Tourmaster returned to a hook and loop fastener for the collar. Mine has a snap. That is a deal-breaker because hook and loop there wears out fast. Olympia uses hook and loop there, too, so it's a draw. If I needed a new textile jacket now, I would go with First Gear.

Style is very personal, so only you can rate a jacket for that quality. I don't think any of them are stylish. When Brooks Brothers starts making moto gear, that may change. WBill

I have a Speed and Strength Urge-Overkill jacket that effing rocks. It's made well. It's still pretty new, but there's no reason it shouldn't last.